Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
I'm going to preemtively echo JVL on this one... Who cares!

Steve's heart may be in the right place, but after seeing how poorly he handled the Rally America transition, I'm convinced he just doesn't have the skills. This is not what Champ Car needs.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
This could be good for open wheel racing though. Steve could botch the transition enough to force Champ car and the IRL to take a genuinely serious look at re-alignnment. Not that it will matter all that much. The sport of open wheel needs a serious rejuvination of energy and competition in a very public way to attract people back to the grand stands.

Might be time to continue pursuing new venues. Estimates put the third year attendance of the Denver Grand Prix at 112,000 for the race weekend and 75,000 for the main race day on sunday. The weekend figures include a "free" day on friday as well. For the "free" day you had to go to a mcdonalds and buy some sandwich and then you got a free pass for friday, so it really cost like $3.50....

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Steve has no heart - he sold it in 2003
(and lied to us about it)
That's the kind of guy he is.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Last one out of Topeka, turn off the lights.

"Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered By Ford"

Say that ten times fast.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Steve meant well, but I'm not sure he ever really understood things being run by proud, skilled, dedicated AMATEURS.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Steve has no heart - he sold it in 2003
>(and lied to us about it)
>That's the kind of guy he is.

When he was hired he didn't fire Spitzner, so I figured Johnson was not appropriate for the job and I didn't follow his career at SCCA.

What did he do in 2003?

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
>Steve meant well, but I'm not sure he ever really understood
>things being run by proud, skilled, dedicated AMATEURS.

Now by saying he "meant well" I assume you mean padding his bank account and FOR SURE that is the only dedication he understands.

(ok, enough from me on this - Bruce you already know I have an opinion on this guy eh)

I'll be calling Gail Truess now to give her the news - oh won't she be thrilled, NOT

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Steve meant well, but I'm not sure he ever really understood
>things being run by proud, skilled, dedicated AMATEURS.

That's like a nuclear power plant hiring a coal supervisor. Sumtin's gonna go wrong.

Working with amateurs was his job!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>>Steve meant well, but I'm not sure he ever really
>understood
>>things being run by proud, skilled, dedicated AMATEURS.
>
>That's like a nuclear power plant hiring a coal supervisor.
>Sumtin's gonna go wrong.
>
>Working with amateurs was his job!
>
>
Very true...but the BOD does the hiring, and they're in sort of mixed mode themselves - they're all professional people in real life, and will naturally lean toward somebody who presents himself as a professional. Personally, I think they should hire from club members who are active volunteers...there's a lot of skill out there...but what do I know? Where do I apply? :)

Bruce

·
Registered
689 Posts
A. SCCA no longer does rally , so why does anyone here care?

B. As for the botched transition how do you know Johnson botched it??

C. Having dealt with Johnson at SCCA and JB at Rally America as an amatuer organizer I found/find both to be very helpful with our needs for our local events. You just have not have an attitude.

D. News flash given that Rally was 3% at best of SCCA's business , what would you do if you owned a company with 100 people and having a particular 3 on the payroll risked the other 97's jobs.....exactly what Johnson did , that's what

E. Want to know who Rally in America's worst enemy is.....well it's us.Listen to the sour grapes we post here on this forum all the time.We do not understand why rally is not big in the USA but when I guy takes the steps to make it big we scream to high heaven.I've seen many a rallist try to sidestep guidelines. We knew it wasn't safe for people to wander out on the stages but we looked the other way until it bit us on the butt.

F. We have Rally America and NASA events and some great organizers still putting on great events. Frankly in a litigious country like ours ,after the fatalities that caused SCCA to dump us, we should be thankful we have anything left.

Now I may only have been involved in Rally for 9 years or so and I only organize an event that is a blip on the radar screen so feel free to flame away. So can someone answer this for me , slamming some guy you don't like does what for the Sport?????

Tom

PS: sorry guys this smacks of bad Karma

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
> A. SCCA no longer does rally , so why does anyone here care?

Since you replied to my post. My only interest is regarding Jeffy's reference to something done in 2003.

However....

SCCA might do rally in the future... PROBABLY NOT... but....

What happens if Doug Havir, John Shirley, etc...quits, gets ill, has family crisis....etc?

People are so quick to burn bridges.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
> C. Having dealt with Johnson at SCCA <...> I found <Steve> to be very
> helpful

In 2004, I was on the Performance Rally Board and had devoted many hours to making rallying a safer, more popular, better sport, within the SCCA. Then Steve and the BOD made the executive decision to stop sanctioning rallies. A decision which may have been inevitable.

But, do you know how I found out about it?

Someone in the rally community emailed me to ask me if it was true, after reading it on Specialstage.com.

With those kind of communication skills, thoughtfulness, and tact, I can only presume Steve will continue to go far. I look forward to enjoying plenty of IRL racing in the future.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
689 Posts
Actually Jens I am involved in SCCA rallycross , Autocross , track days and road racing. Unlike other folk I do not have an issue with SCCA if they come back to rally fine by me , I always got the hlep I needed and still do.

You do bring up a valid point about Rally America and NASA , rallists tend to be rather quick to filet management.....I.E. we are are own worst enemy.

Tom

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>But, do you know how I found out about it?
>
>Someone in the rally community emailed me to ask me if it was
>true, after reading it on Specialstage.com.

It jus' goes to show ya.... rumors do count!:)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Christian this is exactly how I found out about it. Not defending the way it was done but this is how most big companies give out news good or bad through press releases. Also were there not other people in the office as well as Johnson who new this was coming....we did not filet them. Sometimes I just get tired of the negativity. When Rally got dropped my first thoughts were not "those bastards" but ok start looking for somebody to do insurance and sanction because our event is 3 months away!!!

Tom

PS I know your situation was differant because poeple looked to you for answers

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
In 2003 Steve put value on a 1 hour Speed TV time spot rather than the ability of an event to run safely. ($$ first, people second).
- which is NOT what his speech at Maine summer was (the lie).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In a related story...

I heard a rumor that, as a cost cutting measure, the Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach will now be held in Siler City, Iowa? :)

I better not say much until I see who's moving into the house at the end of the block...

·
Registered
689 Posts
Details??? Is the speech posted somewhere I can read it? Isn't it my job as an organizer to keep things safe? I've seen events that did things I know where outside the safety guidelines.

Well I'm one of the folks who believe Rally is just fine as an amatuer sport but lots of folks said they wanted it to grow into something professional....maybe that is why the money was spent on TV??

Back to what prompted me to stir the pot.....Lets say Johnson did for Rally what Stalin did for Ukrainians , What does bringing it up do for our Sport? Nothing. If a rant is needed how about some good satire instead.

Tom

·
Registered
689 Posts
RE: In a related story...

Mike I heard that the 20 yr rule was going to be instituted , no driver over 20 would be allowed to compete becuase this fits their demographic better

Also I heard that drivers would nopw be seeded for Qualifing , with pay drivers getting the highest seed because this is a business.

Then I heard that OWRS is now doing super CART-cross where Qualifing would entail two cars running from a standing start in a head to head drift style format....fans would give points to the more stylish driver.

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts