Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copied email from source in the know(not PSport)that rather remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

" FYI, P-Sport has the contract from SCCA to make the stage notes and is paid a certain fee by SCCA. Kurt Spitzner gets the notes and has them copied and sells them to the competitors at what I agree is too high for the number of sets he's been selling. P-Sport has not been making any substantial profit so far because of the start up cost and the lease of the black box for each event. In fact P-Sport has based its cost and profit margin on the entire SCCA schedule and will probably only break event for the first year.
SCCA is definitely getting a huge money return and should be cutting the cost for the notes to less than $75 a set. I would like to give some more info but some of it is confidential between P-Sport and SCCA."

"It was my impression that Kurt was going to reduce the cost as soon as he saw the number of notes being bought but it seems he's greedier than I thought. He obviously wants to look good in the eyes of the three manufacturers and SCCA. Kurt is for number ONE, Mr. Spitzner. I'm not too impressed with the few dealings I've had with him, and I'm not surprised at the Rim and Cherokee rallies going it alone, too much direction from SCCA, making decisions without input by the organizers."

Told you so.
If SCCA is non-profit, either reduce the cost or start a prize fund with the profit.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just open the ProRally accounts to the public

Enough is enough. I want to see it all. It's our club--let's see what comes in and from whom and what goes out and to whom.

Let's see a detailed P&L for the rally department. I suspect there's a lot of stuff in there that more than 50% of the license holders would object to.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Business 101

What does non-profit mean:

All it means is that total income - total expenses must be <= 0
Where income = license fees + sanction fees + sticker fees + manufacturer monies + stage notes

and

expenses = administrative overhead + travel + insurance premiums on their end + printing costs +...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Since when does non-profit mean well managed?

Maybe that was in Business 102. }>

Nobody's suggesting that Kurt is skimming funds--just that he may be running the rally department in a way not many of us would care for.

Some recent examples (other than the course notes):

- Manufacturer contributions--and what specifically they get in return.
- Series sponsor deals. Fram better be paying a lot of money to the series for us to suffer the indignity of people thinking we use their filters. ;D
- The TV coverage. Looks like a big cash drain. How much of our license and sanction fees goes to pay for coverage that doesn't include us?
- Junkets to "observe" WRC events.

I came up with that list in two minutes. I'm sure I could come up with another few dozen if I tried.

·
Registered
33 Posts
RE: Since when does non-profit mean well managed?

Many years ago in the Quattro Club USA, we were almost undone by bickering over monies. I thought I remembered that a non-profit organization MUST fully disclose their financials to a gov't agency. I also though that those were available...

I will say that after all the hullabaloo the Club emerges stronger and more efficient than I ever would have imagined.

I too say full disclosure. If there's nothing to hide, then we can all shut up. It will be a mongo can of worms to determine what is reasonable in the 'research' realm, but as a group I suspect a majority will make a ruling. Gotta love them POLL questions.

·
Registered
768 Posts

- Since Pete, Coralba-Arne nor Pelle-the-Swede don't make any money why doesn't someone fire up a ZEROX and fight fire with fire....Hey, this is America, get in business by yourself!
- Or if machine copying is illegal, give other navies 1 hour to hand copy..for a fee...like we did at Olympus WRC (Thanks again! - Toyota factory team...)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Where does it say that SCCA is Non-profit

Where does it say that SCCA is a Non-profit org.
I have been looking around a bit, but cannot find it.
All I see is that SCCA is Incorporated (SPORTS CAR CLUB OF AMERICA INCORPORATED) as on the BYLAWS.
and to me a corperations main objective is to make money.
So maybe someone can clear up the confusion of SCCA
calling themselves a club, and acting like a club, but actually using the "club" as a money making business.
Someone mentioned that non-profits need to disclose all income. I have also heard this and in being involved with other non-profit clubs found it to be common practice.

So maybe someone can clear up the "club" part of SCCA
because it seems to me that us "club members"
are really just customers paying for services rendered..x(

Brian

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: Where does it say that SCCA is Non-profit

Don't confuse NON-PROFIT with NOT-FOR-PROFIT. These are different things under the Federal tax law. SCCA is a not-for-profit corporation. Their Articles of Incorporation should be on file with the Connecticut Secretary of State's office, as they are a Connecticut corporation unless things have changed recently.

BW

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
RE: Where does it say that SCCA is Non-profit

Bruce,

According to SCCA, ***non-profit***:

The Sports Car Club of America is a 65,000-member non-profit organization featuring the most active membership participation organization in motor sports today, with over 2,000 amateur and professional motor sports events each year.

·
Registered
274 Posts
So Dave... Have you fired off some kind of letter of Inquiry to
the PRB about this yet? Or the BoD, or Kurt, or anyone who could
actually give you the accounting you seem to be seeking?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Ed

·
Registered
118 Posts

Jon & Daphne:

You guys kill me!!! :7 I love reading your posts. You spare no punches, and make no excuses. I agree with you guys 100%. Now I am really, really, REALLY sorry I messed-up your door, Jon.;)

Carlos Lopez
E.T. Racing
Car # 151

P.S. I am willing to go to Denver or wherever SCCA HQ is now ( on my own penny) as part of a commitee to review the SCCA books!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts