Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what others thought of the Sports Net coverage of Roucky Mountain last night?

My personal thoughts - I thought it was great to have coverage of any type at all! Thank you to all who made it happen.
Possible suggestions for future shows - get the "british" commentator 'some' instruction as to what Rally is all about - even my wife - who has never been to an event thought he did not know what he was talking about. Also - have him learn how to pronounce the competitors names (3 diff. ways to say "Richard" - including one that made it sound like Pat made beer?)

Another suggestion would be to cover a bit more of the field - yes I know that the big guys go fastest - and put on the best show - but if they showed a few more "lower" cars - people might find out that you don't have to have huge $$$ to compete.
Even Joe and Owen - who finished 4th over all only got 5 seconds at the end.

Again - Thanks to all who made this happen - keep up the good work!
Warren
p.s. I guess even me sliding into the ditch 20 feet from the camera wasn't enough to make it-:7

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Just wondering what others thought of the Sports Net
>coverage of Roucky Mountain last night?
>
>Possible suggestions for future shows - get the "british"
>commentator 'some' instruction as to what Rally is all about
>- even my wife - who has never been to an event thought he
>did not know what he was talking about. Also - have him
>learn how to pronounce the competitors names (3 diff. ways
>to say "Richard" - including one that made it sound like Pat
>made beer?)

Warren:

I thought the coverage was quite good considering that the producer of the show had to squeeze in the Perce Neige summary and also provide coverage (well deserved) for CP/Hansens.

At first, I was a bit put-off by Andrew Marriott, but as the show went on, I found that he added a bit of whimsical entertainment to the show. BTW, he knows a LOT about rallying (he used to co-drive for Andy Dawson in the works Datsuns in the 1970s).

I agree though that he will have to work on a few name pronunciations. However, it is only the hard core rally viewers (like you and me) that notice those things.

All in all, well done. I look forward to the shows over the next few weeks.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was guessing that he had Rally knowledge - it just seemed that he was trying way to hard to "dumb it down" for the non rally hardcore.

And the deal with Pat's name - be consistant - misprounce it the same way at least.

But again - these are very MINOR points and were / are offered as a few small teaks that would make it even better.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I can't explain why we left out a car sliding off the road, especially if it happened on-camera. That goes against everything I stand for!

If I can find the incident, we'll put it in the Year in Review Show. Possibly the cameraman wasn't one of my guys, or possibly the car in question was mistaken for a regional competitor in which case there would have to be open flames to make the show.

Joe and Owen were shortchanged. Their performance deserved better. In truth, it often takes a few top results before drivers (or figure skaters, wrestlers and athletes generally) make it onto the media radar screens. The well-known regulars will be covered even when they perform poorly. We'll certainly be looking for Joe Battrick to do great things next week at PFR. We've been warned.

As for Andrew Marriott, he has covered the British Rally Championship and WRC "forever". Speed Channel loves Andrew Marriott where he covers ALMS and LeMans sports car racing for the network. His knowledge of our sport is immense. That was his first show working under trying technical circumstances via satellite with Paul Chater. It can only get better. I think you'll learn to love him. He's already a lot better than that hack Sportsnet used last year.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>As for Andrew Marriott, he has covered the British Rally
>Championship and WRC "forever". Speed Channel loves Andrew
>Marriott where he covers ALMS and LeMans sports car racing
>for the network. His knowledge of our sport is immense.
>That was his first show working under trying technical
>circumstances via satellite with Paul Chater. It can only
>get better. I think you'll learn to love him. He's
>already a lot better than that hack Sportsnet used last
>year.

He also used to cover F1 with Speedvision, if I recall correctly (pit reporter). I would expect that having him as part of the broadcast team would be a great addition (although I have always enjoyed Paul Chater and his various broadcast partners). I didn't know Mr. Marriott had a rally background.

I hope my mom taped it for me! I look forward to seeing it.

Ben

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>I can't explain why we left out a
>car sliding off the road, especially if it happened on-camera.

Yes it did - I was watching him as we went by - ergo I slid off the road!
(first rally and all - camera men scare me!)

>regional competitor in which case there would have to be open flames
>to make the show.

Well since I am a regional competitor - I guess I'd better light myself on fire at PFR!

>We'll certainly be looking for Joe Battrick to do
>great things next week at PFR. We've been warned.
Good.

Thanks

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts
i thought it was a great show, my only thing, is i liked the 1hr format of last yr better, as it allowed for more of a story line to lay out.

but when it comes down to it, if 30 mins is what people want to watch, and that is what will help the sport grow from a public point of view then that is the way to go.

so good job to all involved with it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I thought the show was great, and Andrew Marriot put some spark into the show. My apologies, but, though I heard him for years and years who is Paul Chater? Would I recognise the face if I saw it at a rally? He has been the voice of Cdn rallying, but I have no clue who or what he looks like. I can't identify with him. Open to being filled in.

It was pretty remarkable what was covered in 30 minutes less commercials. Some good camera angles. It's a shame that a regional competitor needs to be on fire to get coverage. I think the sport will grow just as well or better if people can identify with the 'local hero' at the regional level, rather than some guy from 2000 miles away you'll likely never meet. If you went to the local club meeting you might meet the guy/gal from the television show. Just my thoughts.

Looking forward to the next one.

Craig

http://www3.sympatico.ca/kchamm/rally1.html

·
Registered
328 Posts
Disclaimer:
I have an obvious bias and interest in the coverage afforded to the 4th place overall finishers at Rocky.

I thought the coverage was excellent. It's supposed to be aimed at the people who don't know about rallying.

Joe & Owen were not signed up for the National championship and this is coverage for a national championship event. I have no complaints about their coverage. They deserve to be mentioned for their position, as do all the other "high-placing-non-championship contenders".

We have two top class teams that are making a huge effort in BC. They have skill, commitment, and determination. Your loss if you ignore them at PFR. The people who come out to spectate, and those on TV, deserve to know that BC is the place where rallying in North America is really breaking out. This is the future of rallying in NA.

I witnessed something similar to this in UK hang-gliding more than 20 years ago. Each sport needs to have it's dominant champion to make everyone step up. They also need to benchmark against the best in the world to rise to the top. Those are the two basic ingedients that result in a World Champion. You cannot have one without the other.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>Joe and Owen were shortchanged.

Part of the story here is Owen's age and success ... Add to that the fact that he is a reasonably well spoken kid as well, and I'd have thought he'd be a natural interview.

>As for Andrew Marriott, he has covered the British Rally
>Championship and WRC "forever".

Perhaps, but he still struck me as a Murray Walker without the accuracy. In part this will be because of the info he is being fed, and certainly I wouldn't expect him to have first hand knowledge. Ultimately, I found his enthusiasm distracting.

>That was his first show working under trying technical
>circumstances via satellite with Paul Chater.

Was he actually seeing the footage? At times it seemed like he may have just been reading a script ... his commentary suggested that McGeer only rolled twice in his off ... I strongly suspect it was more.

>It can only get better.
Actually, It could be a lot worse - I'm glad you're back Lawrence, your dedication to rallying and the quality of work you are doing is appreciated.

>I think you'll learn to love him.
Just as many love Murray!

>He's already a lot better than that hack Sportsnet used last
>year.

Ahhhh .... self deficating humour ... you did good last year - not to worry!

·
Registered
79 Posts
>As for Andrew Marriott, He's
>already a lot better than that hack Sportsnet used last
>year.

Now that's a bit harsh!
;-)

·
Registered
239 Posts
>>He's already a lot better than that hack Sportsnet used last
>>year.
>
>Ahhhh .... self deficating humour ... you did good last year
>- not to worry!

holy crap! I almost died laughing!!! Did you mean "deprecating" ?

Actually, it's funny no matter how you meant it!!!

Thanks for a laugh-

Russ

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>holy crap!

Prety much the reaction I was looking for ... and yes it was intentional.

Which reminds me... McGeer's "oh sh i t" before the roll wasn't bleeped... perhaps it was taken as an 'oh shoot' or was it left in so we don't think he was using the 'f' word???

·
Registered
58 Posts
Come on guys, give Andrew Marriott a chance. I've listened to Andrew for many years back in the UK, and almost fell out of my chair the other night when I heard him. Believe me, he knows more about rallying than most of us put together! By the end of this series you'll all be praying that he's back for next year!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts