Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.carkeys.co.uk/jbcolumn/C1000039.htm

From the above artical:
"Like F1, the World Rally Championship is not "motorsport". It has nothing to do with "sport" - it?s business. Nowadays world rallying has more to do with television schedules and audiences than providing a spectacle for impoverished rally fans. It?s all about sponsors and corporate entertainment, marketing budgets and paying punters."...

..."But of more immediate concern to me is that what the WRC does tomorrow, club rallying tries to emulate. At the present time genuine club rallying in the UK is reasonably healthy while our "premier" British Championship ain?t. We need to simplify rules and switch emphasis to competitor enjoyment and value for money rather than implement the whims of a few manufacturer teams and TV schedulists.

It just proves that show business and sport don?t mix, so don?t try it. Show business is for those who watch, sport is for those who compete. There?s a big difference.

Yer auld pal,

Jaggy. "

I could not have said it better.

Derek

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>
>http://www.carkeys.co.uk/jbcolumn/C1000039.htm
>
It?s all about sponsors and corporate entertainment,
>marketing budgets and paying punters."...
>
>..."But of more immediate concern to me is that what the WRC
>does tomorrow, club rallying tries to emulate.

A glance at the herds of slowly driven Su-a-rats ambling thru stages attests well to that.

We
>need to simplify rules and switch emphasis to competitor
>enjoyment and value for money rather than implement the
>whims of a few manufacturer teams and TV schedulists.

Sacrelige!!!
>
>It just proves that show business and sport don?t mix, so
>don?t try it. Show business is for those who watch, sport is
>for those who compete. There?s a big difference.
>

>I could not have said it better.
>
>Derek
Hey Derek isn't this the essence of the the dilemna and the problems we are faced with here?

I have suggested here before that the general malise and lopsided pandering and lying and now obviousd top all stagnation and the beginnings of retreat we are saying comes from mhavingfa person in the paid positionn of Performance Rally Dood who knew nothing of motorsport the day he was hired, and has since shown that the sole concern he has if for the whims and wisdhes of whoever he thinks is the next big thing.
It is not surprising that the PRDood and his vocal apologists don't see the important distinction between which end of the word the emphasis should be placed on, especially by somebody PAID o work for membership, they've never been a part of the Sport.

A look at every individual event that is popular and evrey series that is popular and I think you'll see that it is the presence of ex and current competitiors which makes the difference.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
397 Posts
Oh there you wascally wabbitts go stirring up trouble again!!
Of course I have never once suggested anything at all similar.
The concept of what we are doing being viewed as an enjoyable pasttime need not be part of the grand scheme right? At least not if we want to retain the club level guy huh? Doh!!
Hmmmmmmmmm...........We have beat this drum before..............

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts