Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Delivering pizza was the best paying job I have had to date, now I have a masters degree and cant even touch $20/hour. $15 was expected and $20 was common for the night shift. Day shifts were not so good but either way you got your regular hourly rate of minimum wage.

I should probably go back to delivering pizza.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Delivering pizza was the best paying job I have had to date, now I have a masters degree and cant even touch $20/hour. $15 was expected and $20 was common for the night shift. Day shifts were not so good but either way you got your regular hourly rate of minimum wage.

I should probably go back to delivering pizza.
to be fair a masters in what? basket weaving and law are two different pay scales :)

·
<catchy rally phrase>
1,261 Posts
If we would have been able to capitilize on the money we spent in rally, we would still be doing it rather than wondering where it all went!

When you are looking for a potential sponsor all they are thinking (unless you are buddies) is how are you going to make me more money?.

Period - it is that easy, it should not need any more explanation.

Matt is right - the right marketing plan is the key to making said sponsor more sales, which eqauls more money, which equals sponsorship opportunities.

While I agree with this in theory , I also disagree in reality....only because at our level, there will never be a 'direct' connection between sponsoring a grassroots driver and more sales.

I link it more to (and this is how I pitch it) as a 'Branding' opportunity....'goodwill' or the 'hey look at what we're doing' effect.

The main reason is just plain honesty....I can't honestly look someone in the face and tell them that if they give me $5000 for the season that they'll end up with $5,500 in their pocket after the season (a mere 10% ROI). And if I did try to pass that off, they should look at me and go 'yeah, right....piss off.'

However, there IS value in helping someone like me and then going out to the local community and then saying, "Hey...look us at, look at what we're doing together." That creates a brand awareness that you can't buy with $$$. It creates goodwill among the community towards your business. Its very immeasurable (unfortunately), but in the long run, it WILL help your business. (the extreme examples are Apple, original Coke, and McDonalds).

This is why the big organizations give away millions to charity. Sure, tax write-off, but it also allows them to scream, 'Hey! Look at us! We're nice people too! (Now the next time you get a little hungry go buy a fucking big mac!)"

This is actually the EASIEST thing a grassroots driver can give because it involves relatively small amounts of time. Simple things can add up to a lot:

1) going on product/marketplace specific forums and giving honest and fair reviews.....no BS, no sales pitch, but at lot of people see that stuff. (Just as the exact opposite-online negative reviews-can also have a very damaging effect on ones business brand)

2) doing the same thing but with brief event write ups and saying THANK YOU to said sponsors. Everyone on car forums LOVE to see the 'little people' going on there and 'doing it' with their cars, and love to see the vendors that help that happen. Good will. You can't buy it.

3) Simple videos (these don't have to be huge productions), posted on-line with a little diligence.

These are easy things to promise, and deliver upon...and visibility is easy to measure with actual responses to your posts, or clicks counted.

In other words, you just have to sell 'the dream'....of course that particular business also has to 'see' the dream, but you get the point. the thing to do is make sure you're selling it to the right business. For people pulling in sponsorship deals from non-automotive businesses...Kudos to you. That's the hardest sell because those guys WILL be looking for some kind of direct ROI.

But maybe for a small, independent local shop....who doesn't have the funds to run their own car, but wants to have a 'shop sponsored car' so they can have pictures on their office walls and make the place feel bigger than it really is, maybe approach that guy (helps if you pull up in the rally car and get everyone staring at your first) and say "hey....lets work something out."
(it helps to spend some money at that shop as well. )

The catch is: sales isn't easy, and it isn't for everyone....Sometimes you have to ask a LOT of people before you get a 'yes'....but at least it never hurts to ask. and if you keep your expectations low, when someone does say its, its just gravy.

The last thing I'll say is that you have to always be alert for opportunities and MAKE things happen for yourself. For example, I had this guy from www.TheSmokingTire.com email me last year about a piece that they wanted to do for RallyX'ing. They're in SoCal.....there wasn't anything going on at the time, but I kept them in mind and at the end of the year I told them about the CRS rally school....kept on it, got them interested. I got permission from CRS to get them to film there, I talked them into buying THREE seats at CRS rally school (a win for them) and I worked myself into their video a little bit.

Done, right? Hell no. Desert Storm was right around the corner. I pitched them on doing a piece on stage rally and specifically following ME around for the weekend.f (the 'pitch' consisted of me putting together an email with 2 short paragraphs describing my idea) Turns out my usual co-driver couldn't go as well, and their camera man loves WRC, so I sweeten the deal and say he can co-drive for me as well. Long story short, I get this full video with over 10,000 hits, and sponsors LOVE it. (and it really just took a few emails to get it all going)

Then I go and whore out that YouTube Video link on facebook, blogspot, forums, etc, etc, etc.....just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noW0kCjf1gc&playnext_from=TL&videos=3MM_d9NO1Og

watch it, god damned it!!!

:)

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
While I agree with this in theory , I also disagree in reality....only because at our level, there will never be a 'direct' connection between sponsoring a grassroots driver and more sales.
100% wrong - I did not even read the rest of your post becuase of your opening arguement.

You create the value, and you create the "direct" connection. Only then will you EARN sposnsors and attract many more.

With that being said, hopefully you will take this the right way and it will help you find the people you need and create that "win/win". Right now things are terrible in the aftermarket for 75% of the shops in the US/Canada - so getting money from this group would be about impossible right now. (Not to try and discourage you for looking).

There are many ways to create a win/win - I could write them up if you guys think it would be helpful.

·
L4 into trees
701 Posts
There are many ways to create a win/win - I could write them up if you guys think it would be helpful.
It absolutely would not be helpful at all....

Better to send them to me and only me in a PM. Nobody else should be subjected to reading that. I'll take one for the team. :D

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It absolutely would not be helpful at all....

Better to send them to me and only me in a PM. Nobody else should be subjected to reading that. I'll take one for the team. :D

I like where that post was heading! LOL - I will work on something in the next week or two that hopefully will benefit everyone looking for a little extra edge in the sponsorship game... not that I am great at it myself, but I know what would get me to bite........ that is if I had the money :mad:

·
<catchy rally phrase>
1,261 Posts
100% wrong - I did not even read the rest of your post becuase of your opening arguement.

You create the value, and you create the "direct" connection. Only then will you EARN sposnsors and attract many more.

With that being said, hopefully you will take this the right way and it will help you find the people you need and create that "win/win". Right now things are terrible in the aftermarket for 75% of the shops in the US/Canada - so getting money from this group would be about impossible right now. (Not to try and discourage you for looking).

I think you misunderstood my original statement.......I was referring to the 'direct connection to revenue', ie: "We sponsor X driver and that DIRECTLY CONNECTS to $XX,XXX INCREASE in revenue."

That is a difficult connection to make for ANY business with an advertising budget.

If you did read the rest of my post, you would have gotten my point and understand how I create value for my sponsors, like LASSA, COBB Tuning, EBC, etc, but its an intangible value, I don't BS them and try to tell them how their sales with go up X% for every event I run.:rolleyes:

I'm working on a new sponsor for my engine rebuild....w/o which I wouldn't be able to afford the improvements I'm doing in time for Gorman Rally....wasn't very hard, in fact this time I had 2 different shops talking to me about sponsorships and just how low they can take their prices below their published retail rates...economy be damned, there's plenty of opportunity out there.

But maybe I should just ask, how do you measure the DIRECT INCREASE in revenue from the teams that Slowboy sponsors?

·
Head first, balls deep!
706 Posts
i'm just gonna throw this out there. i recently wrangled up a sponsor. it's a local bar i frequent. Under new ownership. I know the owner and the staff, but we're not really 'buddy buddy' kinda thing. We we were talking, he was interested but not completely sold on it. a big argument was that they wanted LOCAL.. as in that side of town advertisement. well after a couple dates and i knew it was almost over... going sour, i pulled this outta my @$$....

myself: what other forms of advertising are you pursuing?
them: well, we're looking into the paper and throwing a small ad out
myself: well, if you don't mind me asking, what does a monthly ad cost you?
them: a couple hundred... ish
myself: for that same amount that you pay for an ad in the paper for a single month that is regularly used to aid in the start of camp fires, you'll be seen on the vehicle for (so many) months. the public will regularly see it as i cruise around everywhere you can think of.

there's more to it after that, but he was like a new person after that. more or less, they're looking at it as a more affordable way of advertisement. and it's only for a single event. so hopefully i can turn it around and use them again next year. plus keeping up on the good PR... (ass kissing and so on)... Anyway, just for this single sponsor, i'm not getting the ride paid for, but they're help, and keeping my funds to other things now. we have a contract, and stuff. it's a business deal.

i feel i've basically gotten quite lucky. and definitely don't expect it to happen again. but that little bit of help, was worth my effort

·
Registered
479 Posts
I think a professional appearance can go a long way. When you don't have a sponsor, consider offering the real estate on your car to your favorite charity, for the cost of the vinyl. Makes you feel darn good to race for a "cause". Doesn't necessary equate to money in the bank for tires, but it can often get your foot in the door down the road. The charity recieves the benefit, and you can get positive PR, that might help to attract paying sponsors down the road.
I was able to do that for my local Autism related charity. Local sign company has agreed to donate the vinyl(with their logo on the car as well). Works out well for everyone.

·
Registered
89 Posts
wow sachilles, i love that idea. I am in a good fininacial postion personaly and can affort to foot my entire bill (a rare thing) . so i had no real plans on looking for sponsors but i am going to be all over your idea.

Andrew

·
No, your other left!
922 Posts
You just aren't marketing yourself correctly - look at Danica Patrick - she's not all that hot, and not all that great of a driver, and she's got sponsors...

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
as does Subiegal and Amy, Amy....

i wouldn't be surprised if some of the "famous" co-driving ladies don't pick up some sponsorship.

It can be done, for sure.

·
<catchy rally phrase>
1,261 Posts
Sponsorships? Try being a girl-driver, NO ONE wants to sponsor a girl, a cute one that isn't a bad driver.

are you saying you're cute and not a bad driver? then why not? i'd say you have an advantage over most guys if you have half a personality and can get on the throttle....looking good in the car and outside the car ? double threat ;)

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
Sponsorships? Try being a girl-driver, NO ONE wants to sponsor a girl, a cute one that isn't a bad driver.
Lisa Klassen is another example of a woman able to get sponsorship with hotly debated driving talents.

If you're having trouble getting sponsors it is much more likely you are poisoning interest somehow (excuse the harsh term) or not going about sponsorship the right way. Being cute, female and driving well isn't enough.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
The main reason is just plain honesty....I can't honestly look someone in the face and tell them that if they give me $5000 for the season that they'll end up with $5,500 in their pocket after the season (a mere 10% ROI).
Yup! To be even more accurate, assuming the sponsor sells some physical product, it's like this:

They give you $5000 and hope to end up with $5500. If they mark up their product 30% (a 23% profit margin) then they would need to sell about $24,000 dollars worth of product.

It's somewhat immaterial whether the company in question makes $24,000 in an hour or in a month... the question is how long it takes the, uh, sponsee? (the racer getting the money) to create that effect.

So I think self honesty is a big part of it. $50,000 in sponsorship for a season? Will my involvement in rally sell a quarter million dollars of product?

Now, huge companies are a somewhat different beast. So is Hollywood. There's no rhyme or reason there. :p

Cheers,
Anders

·
Working on EVO III
478 Posts
They key is showing sponsors the value in sponsorship, we have active sponsors, but only because we work for them very hard. In fact if I went out and got another job it would be a hell of a lot easier than making sponsors happy. Its all about what you want to do, no matter what road you go down, you aren't going to get something for nothing, and if you do its not going to last very long.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think being a female gives me an advantage when asking for sponsorships, not a disadvantage. The only disadvantage one could have is not being any good as a driver, and we all have equal chances at that.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts