Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone knows that a major part of rallying is finances. Proper funding will dictate to what rallies you go to and how well you do i.e parts, proper maintence, it all costs money. Not everyone on the board is working a six figure job. What I'm wondering is what is the proper way to gain sponsors? Can anybody help me put something together to send out to sponsors to help pay for the costs of going to rallies and paying for the parts that go on the car. Any help is much apreciated. Thanks, mike

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
> Everyone knows that a major part of rallying is
>finances.

Managing your finances is more important in my opinion. Wisely spending what money you do have and allocating it correctly. If you want a sweet street car, a sweet house, a boat, plane, etc then you'd better have big finances and this deosn't matter. I live cheap, eat mostly peanut butter sandwiches, drive a scooter that costs me less than $80 a month and around 0.20 cents per mile.

>Proper funding will dictate to what rallies you go
>to and how well you do i.e parts, proper maintence, it all
>costs money. Not everyone on the board is working a six figure
>job.

Most are not. There are a few that either are, or survive from existing money (trust fund, inheritance, etc)

>What I'm wondering is what is the proper way to gain
>sponsors? Can anybody help me put something together to send
>out to sponsors to help pay for the costs of going to rallies
>and paying for the parts that go on the car.

Sponsorship comes from who you know and the relationships and partnerships you build. Doesn't come overnight. Your main sponsor will be you for quite a while in this sport though.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Michael,
The only realistic way to go rallying or any kind of racing is to do only what you yourself can afford.
If you're young (and since you say "My parents still got me by the balls
" I assume you're young (like under 30), you have to ask "why would somebody want to give you money....when you are unknown, unproven etc?

Life at your age is all about choosing PRIORITIES, and you have to decide where rally, and like Grant said food, living conditions, Electronic toys, cell phones, TVs, skiing, GURLS, etc are going fit in.
And then there's EDUCATION.

You didn't say WHAT you want to do, but maybe you should.
I have help dozes of guys find their first cars and get the parts needed to make it a rally car and some have even gone on to win National Championships, and one indespensible tool in all this is:
A PENCIL to write plans with.
Write out your plans and stick 'em on the wall in front of your nose.

Use a pencil so you can use the eraser, cause plans need to be flexible.

If once you get your first car built and have shown you can get noticed and generate interest, then it be the time to talk top small shops like Sean O'Brien in Everett who your Dad knows about co=op type stuff.

Look at at deals as the icing on the cake, a bonus.
But don't count on any support.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Education is the best sponsor there is. Just be careful about student loan sponsorship. It's tempting and sponsored my first car and event and parts and such. I now pay about $600 per month for the next 10 years for my student loans. That money could be being spent much better on my car. Just save up a few grand and buy a built car and do a few local events a year why your going to school, and try to keep debt and expenses down to a minimum and when you graduate you'll be able to do whatever you want. If I had no debt from while in school I'd be able to do so much more than I can now. In fact, I'm going back for more school to be able to afford even more.

·
Registered
186 Posts
>Life at your age is all about choosing PRIORITIES, and you have to
>decide where rally, and like Grant said food, living conditions,
>Electronic toys, cell phones, TVs, skiing, GURLS, etc are going fit
>in.
Chicks man, chicks... geez yer showing yer age there John! :p

He's right though - if you want your independence it takes money and that means good grades, a good job and some prioritizing.

As far as sponsorhips go, you should have a word with Scott Kovalik about pregrid, he's got some really interesting ideas.

Ian. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes i am young, 18
as far as priorities i still go to school, work for my dad, and have a girlfriend. My life does revolve around rallying, but not to the point in which what I eat effects what tires I run on the next rally. I just want to know how to put a portfolio together, what are things i should say and shouldn't say. I just sold my first rally car after a successful season, the same one top auto in cali is renting out now, and am building a more competitive car (evo8). I just need help putting together a portfolio basically. But thank you for all the previous advice, i guess i might have been vague in the advice i was asking for.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Go to your library.

There are a couple of good books on the topic (yea true story, the library... wtf).

Get all of them, read them all. They have different ideas on the topic so use the information they give you to form your own ideas.

Then, you just need to spend 4+ hrs a day calling and calling and calling and mailing and so on. It takes a good 4-6 months to secure a reasonable sponsorship. (you should be working on next year this october)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Then, you just need to spend 4+ hrs a day calling and calling
>and calling and mailing and so on. It takes a good 4-6 months
>to secure a reasonable sponsorship. (you should be working on
>next year this october)

Let's say that it takes six months at 5 hours a day. Thats 180 days of 5 hours. That's 900 hours. Get a freakin' part time job and take your 5 bucks or whatever per hour and you have $4500. That's a good chunk of cash. No strings attatched. If you keep doing it you have $9000 in sponsorship. That would cover tires and entry fees for a group F type car for a lot of races.

But you would need time to work on the car. Hmmmmn.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: arghhhh!!

Jake, you missed your opening!
looking for money,
building more competitive car,
evo8,
This is a prime candidate for your flock.

Mike,
If you can't afford it on your own, you gotta dial back.
Sorry.
Even if "sponsorship" fell in your lap, chances are it'll backfire somehow and you'll be left hanging.
Money comes with contracts and strings and can dry up in a flash, sometimes with a court date assigned!

Most big budgets are assigned by September/October.
There are "use it or lose it" slush funds doled out in December, but most of those guys aren't in the office for most of the month.

There are books and newsletters and services for sponsorships and if you got to a pro race somewhere and got in the press room, you could get some other packets to study and copy, but without the cash requests included.

Dump the evo, dump the girlfriend, show an interest in what your dad likes, what he listens to, what he wears, just be your Dad's best friend ever.
Having a kid who doesn't hate him is his impossible dream.
He is your best friend in this, if he isn't loaded, he has a buddy that is.
If he has your balls already, get paid for it.
rz

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

>Jake, you missed your opening!
>18,
>looking for money,
>building more competitive car,
>evo8,
>This is a prime candidate for your flock.

I'll put him to work cutting logs. Thanks for the tip

>
>Mike,
>If you can't afford it on your own, you gotta dial back.
>Sorry.
>Even if "sponsorship" fell in your lap, chances are it'll
>backfire somehow and you'll be left hanging.
>Money comes with contracts and strings and can dry up in a
>flash, sometimes with a court date assigned!

Word to Zimmer

>
>Most big budgets are assigned by September/October.
>There are "use it or lose it" slush funds doled out in
>December, but most of those guys aren't in the office for most
>of the month.

Schmucks. Word to Zimmer.

>
>There are books and newsletters and services for sponsorships
>and if you got to a pro race somewhere and got in the press
>room, you could get some other packets to study and copy, but
>without the cash requests included.
>
>Dump the evo, dump the girlfriend,

Word. You gotta make sacrifices for Rally. How bad do you want it? You can do it but you gotta want it and be willing to put it ahead of other material possesions.

show an interest in what
>your dad likes, what he listens to, what he wears, just be
>your Dad's best friend ever.
>Having a kid who doesn't hate him is his impossible dream.
>He is your best friend in this, if he isn't loaded, he has a
>buddy that is.

Totally. I have little kids that think I'm cool. When the day comes that they don't it's gonna break my heart.

>If he has your balls already, get paid for it.

???? That's sick Randy.

>rz

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

I got a good deal from my dad. He makes whatever I draw up and just charges me for materials. I get cool gifts, too.

Lessee. I got a plate of aluminum for a skid plate for Christmas. I got camber plates for my birthday...

He's got a generous line of credit, too. I got invoices stacked up from him from months ago...and he never calls the credit bureau on me.

He's getting his first CNC machine next week. I'm dragging him kicking and screaming into the 1980s.

·
2,953 Posts

Here's a short list of dads whose kids couldn't afford a wheel nut for the car they're driving.
M.Andretti
B.Rahal
K.Rosburg
N.Piquet
A.Unser
M.Martin
Some who had a nice dad
R.Gordon
T.Stewart
J.Gordon
and an unhappy grandpa
AJ
rz

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

Randy, Pops has been sitting next to the boy in the Gaylant.
Nobody wants to ask the question, so I will
Michael,
I've seen the car when it was doing pace car duties, and I've seen you go, and know the results you and your dad have done, in other words who you've beat and who has consistantly beat you, and I know the spec of the cars all round you.

Why do you think you would do better in an Evo8 compared with the Gaylant?
> What gearbox and which diffs did you have in the box you had?
>What brakes did you have, the Gaylant brakes?

I'm sorta hinting that it might have been the build spec of the car rather than the basics of the car which might have had a part in the results.

There is a small chance that all the guys who are consistantly a bit in front of you have a smidge more experience, and that experience might be worth a few seconds a mile, you sure an EVO8 is going to let you beat them?

Again, pretend like you're rough drafting a cover letter to a potential sponsor and tell us just the WHY of why a company should give you money so you can beat the 4-5 guys in front of you.
Seriously, try it here.

I think it's a shame you sold the Gaylant which after all was PAID OFF. which means you just had running and any upgrade costs.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

The galant was pretty much stock. It was long, heavy, as far as mods go we got a evo 3 gearset for free a 4 bolt rear end, the motor came out of a vr4 with a evo4 turbo. As far as fuel went it ran on a set of stock injectors with a supra tt pump and a safc. The car put down 200 horses with 297ish ft.pounds of torque. Its hard for me to compete with a bunch of subaru's around me that are all 10 years newer. It isn't power that i'm after its the suspension geometry and the newer technology in the evo. At first I may be slower with the evo but in the long run my father and I believe its time to upgrade to a newer more competitive car. We've had that car for almost 6 years and its tired and old, it old to fight for an overall win.
I have questioned that many times, whether its my ability to drive or whether it was the car I was using that gave me those times. But talking to people and consistantly winning in my class has given my father and I the motive to build a newer car. Crunching some numbers we have concluded that we can build a stock evo into a full race car for under 14k(Including the cost of the car). Some may laugh at those numbers but just take in consideration that my father is a dealer and wrecked evo's are selling for around 6k. I have talked to pete and he'd said he would "sponsor" me in that he'd cut me a deal on the cage, etc... I'm not looking at companies to hand me thousands of dollars in cash. For instance gary cavett is sponsored by K&N and a performance clutch and flywheel company, he gets free parts etc... I'm just trying to figure out what are the possibilities of getting sponsored. And how to do it, what is the format of writing a portfolio etc....
As far as my current situation, my father and I are close as hell, I spend hours working at the car lot. I'm supposed to be payed 15 an hour but I rarely ask for my paycheck. Why? Well because he is my sole sponsor. I know I have the oppurtunity of a lifetime being able to start competing at such a young age, i'm just trying to see if I can pick up some sponsors to lessen the burden of my father.
And the only reason i say my parents got me by the balls is because I am completely loyal to them. A normal kid at 18 goes out and parties and does not have a 11 o clock curfew, most kids at my age are at college gettin wasted and screwing around all the time, I on the other hand have no life outside cars, and thats fine with me.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

A K&N filter is 30 bucks. A K&N sponsorship that only nets you a filter is a proposal, mailing charges, phone calls, sticker and application, photos of car with stickers, photo frames, more mailing charges, more phone calls, etc.

Just buy the filter. Its a better deal.

There are some companies who will part with cash. There are some companies who have very expensive bits that you may need (turbos, for example) that may be worth the work. But most companies will give you one or three of what they have on the shelf, and if it isn't too expensive to buy, you're better off without the headache and hard work of maintaining a good relationship with another company.

I have respectfully turned down a LOT of product offers cuz they just weren't worth it.

·
2,953 Posts
RE: sorry Mike

Thanks JV for the insight.
Sorry Mike, looks like you've been doing things right.
But for you other guys looking in, it applies.

I googled you and looked at some results and stuff,
looks like the same 3 races each year for 3 years.
Is that it or is there more?

You've got to go everywhere you can, just run and run and run.
My first season was 14 events, 1/2 nationals 1/2 regionals.

At OT, Otis a Bacon put a hurt on you guys and I'll tell you, before he got rallying, Otis would drive 8 hrs each way for a rallyX!
Bacon has been at it a while, last car was an Acura that went fast and sometimes he beats Frank Sprongl's times in the P class Suzukis they run up north. If you guys don't know Frank's background, look him up.

And for everyone who says you need the best car, check out how fast those Suzukis go with excellent drivers, whew!
The best car just makes you look worse when you don't dominate.
rz

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
RE: sorry Mike

>At OT, Otis and Bacon put a hurt on you guys and I'll tell you,
>before he got rallying, Otis would drive 8 hrs each way for a
>rallyX!

And 8 hours is a long way for someone who used to be able to drive cross country in 2 hours! Cross Latvia that is. Can you imagine, the entire national championship was held within a 2 hour drive! Otis was telling me that when he rallied in Latvia he'd drive the race car home at night and sleep there. No hotel bills, tow rigs, travel days... anyway, I digress.

Randy is right that you have to get out there if you want to be noticed. If you are going to stay local (meaning, not leave the left coast) you might be able to scare up some more local dollars. Consider offering to enter the car in car shows and such.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: Finally

Thats why were planning to build a group N car, Basically a stock evo with struts and a computer, thats all really. I know that car and I wouldn't be able to compete with some of the top drivers but i think locally I could put a hurt on some of the guys. And going national is a must, but right now its a waste of money for me because I can't even compete I just need more experience to be able to justify the cost of a national entry fee. Well I'm putting a portfolio together right now and i'll send it out to a couple company's and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts