Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SPITZNER TO DEPART FROM SCCA® PERFORMANCE RALLY POSITION AFTER CLOSE OF 2003 SEASON

TOPEKA, Kan. (Sept. 25, 2003) ? The Sports Car Club of America, Inc. announced today that Performance Rally Department Director Kurt Spitzner will leave the organization at the conclusion of the 2003 SCCA® ProRallySM Championship season.

Spitzner managed the creation of, and has headed the department since April 2001, when he was promoted from his position of Rally/Solo Department Marketing and Media Manager.

?Kurt has gone above and beyond in his pursuit of elevating Performance Rally in the United States,? said SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson. ?I am very proud of Kurt?s achievements not only in the SCCA, but in the sport of rally. I am confident that whoever is lucky enough to land Kurt will experience these same types of results.?

?My six seasons with the SCCA have been some of the most gratifying and challenging of my career,? said Spitzner. ?In 1998, we embarked on a journey, transforming what had been a hobby for a few, into a lifestyle for many. This exciting renaissance ensured that the sport of performance rallying in this country remained within reach of the grassroots enthusiast, while building considerable appeal for North American and overseas competitors whose careers are in ascendancy.

?I?m exceedingly proud to have served as the director of this transformation, and look forward to watching the program?s continued forward movement with the SCCA.?

Spitzner will continue his duties through the final round of the SCCA ProRally Championship at the Oct. 17-18 running of the Lake Superior Rally in Houghton, Mich. His replacement will be named during the off-season, with SCCA Performance Rally Department Manager Sue Robinson assuming interim responsibilities.

For more information regarding the SCCA Performance Rally program and the SCCA ProRally Championship, please visit www.scca.com.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I removed a duplicate thread just now, to keep responses in one thread. Sorry to whomever posted that, but thanks for being so quick!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ladies and Gentlemen:

To avoid repeating errors of the past, this SCCA press release should be understood for what it is: DAMAGE CONTROL.

The Performance Rally "vision" and policies of recent years have done more harm than good to rally in America. But, I would not fault Mr. Spitzner entirely for what has transpired. The SCCA BOD should bare the lion's share of that responsibility.

Good luck Sue. Now let's get rid of the manufacturer's council and get back to the legitimate activities of an enthusiast's Club.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
105 Posts
("whoever is lucky enough to land Kurt" means he's not leaving for another job..........)

...or perhaps he didn't want to say where he is going...or, if it is a competitor, Steve may not have wanted to say the name in a press release. Interesting either way!

·
Registered
204 Posts
I can think of an easy scenario:

Let's say you had an agressive vision for what the SCCA ProRally series should be, and you ignored the pleas of the general membership "for the good of the club." After all, the masses as a whole don't always know what is best for them, right? So you go out and attract world class talent and let them drive in cars that are more powerful than WRC cars on roads with average speeds of over 80 mph. Now, that's marketable, right? Now, lets imagine that the series you feel you are solely responsible for building gets 2 innocent spectators and 2 world-class competitors killed in the same year. How do you feel about yourself now? Want to try it again next year?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know, but someone had to come out and say the obvious.

In all due repspect for Kurt, I think he had a great vision, but the wrong employer. He needed to work for a "for profit" corporation with the sole intent of bringing a professional series to the U.S. The SCCA is a club, and doing so within this structure was doomed to failure.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>I can think of an easy scenario:
>
>Let's say you had an agressive vision for what the SCCA
>ProRally series should be, and you ignored the pleas of the
>general membership "for the good of the club." After all,
>the masses as a whole don't always know what is best for
>them, right? So you go out and attract world class talent
>and let them drive in cars that are more powerful than WRC
>cars on roads with average speeds of over 80 mph. Now,
>that's marketable, right? Now, lets imagine that the series
>you feel you are solely responsible for building gets 2
>innocent spectators and 2 world-class competitors killed in
>the same year. How do you feel about yourself now? Want to
>try it again next year?

Jerry, with all due respect, please don't insinuate that Kurt is even remotely responsible for the deaths of four of our rally family. You can say what you want about his management of the series, or his inability to land sponsorship, but the stuff you mentioned above is pretty much out of his hands. The PRB, with input from the membership, determines the car spec, and they determined that we can have fast cars. They are now beginning to rethink that, but that's another thread... The organizers determine the speed of the roads. Most of the time they don't have much choice, hence our roads are fast. And as far as attracting top talent, bang, you got him. He did attract some world class drivers. Drivers that are gonna raise the profile of the sport and give us something to benchmark against. I learned a lot, and was honored to have raced with them. He attracted the manufacturers, who you can bitch about all you want. They pay real contingency money, and they have been dumping lotsa money into the sport trying to make it better. The deaths that occured this year were ACCIDENTS. No matter what level you race at, accidents happen. More than four people lost their lives dirt track racing within 50 miles of my house this year.

Kurt did his best in a tough situation. Who else at the SCCA has ever done better? Give the guy a break, wish him good luck, and let's start looking at how we can help his successor succeed.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 11 of 11 Posts