Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go straight to hell do not pass go and do not collect $200. Are they cutting back WRC again to the old 1 hour format?

·
Achievement Unlocked!
893 Posts
AT&T Cable can go with them x(

They cut SPEED Channel off the "regular" box, and made it digital cable only now. Yet I'm still being charged for the package with SPEED Channel in it.

Oh, and ready for the best part?
- I don't think I can GET digital cable in my area yet!

So I guess we spent too much money on Nicky Grist. :p
- Kris

http://www.rallynotes.com

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Go straight to hell do not pass go and do not collect $200. Are they >cutting back WRC again to the old 1 hour format?

See the thread "The demise of rally coverage ..." that I started last week. It describes the pattern for the first couple rallies and how some folks see this as a good thing.

alan

·
Registered
239 Posts
RE: Speedvision-directv!

I can't say enough good things about DirecTv. Better picture, better sound, cheaper than digital cable.

I live in Pittsburgh, and as hilly as it is, thought that I wouldn't be able to get a clear signal. All I can say is have an installer come survey your house, and they'l let you know up front if you can get good signal strength.

Try it, you'll like it!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

I registered to post in the speedvision forums, so I could comment on the rally coverage issue, and they conveniently had a computer issue so now I can't log on!

I feel same day coverage is paramount. Should be earlier at night though. I did buy a TIVO unit just to catch all the coverage.

Can you imagine them not showing a Nascar or F-1 race the same day? hehehe

cheers! John

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

>I registered to post in the speedvision forums, so I could
>comment on the rally coverage issue, and they conveniently
>had a computer issue so now I can't log on!
>
>I feel same day coverage is paramount. Should be earlier at
>night though. I did buy a TIVO unit just to catch all the
>coverage.
>
>Can you imagine them not showing a Nascar or F-1 race the
>same day? hehehe
>
>cheers! John

Why is Same day coverage paramount? For Rally fans, one could get results live from the internet and will watch the coverage regardless of when it's on, and for people who are not dedicated to the sport but enjoy watching it on TV, will be ignorant to when the event actually took place. Rallying cannot be compared to F1 and NASCAR since the logistics of filming make it difficult for producers to see everything happening from all camera angles at the same time like on a track, and the fact that between all the incar cameras and course side cameras there could be several hundred hours of footage to go through in order to find the good stuff. Also, I am sure the current amount of coverage is wreaking havoc on the TV scheduling, most racing does not even get 2 hours of coverage.
While I agree it would be nice to have it same day, I would rather let the production people have the extra time and put on a quality show like they did a few years ago than the current poor quality show we are getting.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Atleast its not 1 hour :) Im actually excited about 2 hour shows! Maybe now we can do away with the redundant replay filler they play at the end of the same day coverage shows. Thanks for the info sorry I didnt catch that previous post.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Time was there was no rally coverage at all. Time was there was a 1 hour WRC show. Time was there was 4 1/2 hours of coverage for WRC.

I'm much happier with 2 hours of coverage, than no coverage at all.

Plus, two hours fits so neatly onto a single videocassette.:)

Wilson

·
Registered
100 Posts
I too am happy with two hours of coverage as opposed to none. I liked the 4 hours of WRC coverage, except for the whole filler of "what you missed".

Speaking of that, did anyone catch the Dakar coverage? It was cool, replayed often, and showed a lot of footage of not only the top three to five in each class (bikes, cars, trucks), but also some great footage of the privateers, whether they were doing well or not. :) Man, that's what rallying should be, 17 insane days of driving hundred of kilometers at hyperactive speed.... Awesome...

:) KT

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Morgan,
Same day coverage is paramount, because the show is old news when it airs two or three weeks later. I'm sure you get excited about seeing results online, but I do not. Seeing that Burns won a certain rally doesn't begin to tell the story. It makes viewing the show very anticlimatic. I want to see it! :) And the comment that's sure to come, "don't look at the results online!," isn't practical.

Same day coverage of rally exists in the rest of the world and did for us in 2002. Why not in 2003?

I have no complaints about the coverage in 2002 except that the shows were on too late at night. That's why i got my TIVO, although I usually stayed up to watch it because I didn't want someone telling me what happened the next day.

It's too bad that we don't feel we can expect same day quality coverage from Speed. Do we really think we're that second class or that Speed doesn't have the resources to pull it off?

Cheers! John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts