Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to various bits of information, SpeedTV is curtailing their coverage of the 2003 World Rally Championship. Gone are the same day shows, replaced with a rally preview show and a single show of all 3 legs of coverage, several days AFTER the event (wednesdays or thursdays).

This is not good. Please go to www.speedtv.com and tell them that you want same day coverage!

(Information regarding this comes from the affiliates schedule, Brock Yates' column, and a posting by Speed1, a SpeedTV employee, in the WRC discussion forum.)

·
Registered
533 Posts
The question is: What is the originating company producing? Speed did not produce the daily shows last year, merely aired them. If the originating production company is only producing two shows, then that's all Speed is going to be able to air.

As I read it in 2001, what we got in 2002 was a grand experiment. Granted it gave the likes of Pou a long of raw footage to edit into an awesome video, but it might not have been what the majority of the worldwide viwers wanted...

We all let Speed know just how much we loved the daily broadcasts, but do we know how much of that was passed along to the originating production company?

As I don't have cable or satlelite, I haven't seen one second of this years coverage. I have _heard_ that is dominated by in car, and there is not a lot of commentary. Which is entirly understandable as they have very little editing time to get the show out for broadcast just hours after the first of the raw footage becomes available.

Now, I hear you all saying that ESPN and ABC, and and and can do F1 live, but frankly with the quality of commentary that is usually with those broadcasts, I'd just as soon have no commentary! Yes some of it is good, but a lot of it just plain stinks!

JBLewis
(all hepped up on coffee at 8am on a sunday morning)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I for one welcome the new change. I have been watching my tapes of the 98,99,00 seasons (new years day recordings) and I am blown away by how spectacular the shows were. Works of art! Excellent camera angles, incredible helicopter shots set to music,exterior shots, some in-car, local scenery shots that show the locations, the people and history. A real commentator, not a dumbed down version of one. The current shows lost this. Though I like the fact that the sport is getting so much coverage, it is difficult to dedicate that much time to watching it (4+ hours over 4-5 days), let alone convince someone to record it for you when you can't get the channel

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
This season I often just watched the wrap-up show on Monday, because it was edited better - and it had a lot of extra footage that the day-of shows didn't have (amateur videos, pedal shots, incidents, etc.).

Personally, I won't mind if it changes to two better-edited and more insightful/exciting shows.

The massive hours of coverage was good for the sport this year, but if ISC takes a bit more time putting together the shows, it might be even better for the sport (non-rally viewers will learn/understand more). A one-hour rally preview would be great (rather than 1/2 hour like this year).

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To each their own I guess, but for me this will be a very unfortunate change.

I find in-car footage combined with codriver pace notes to be quite compelling in itself, so the daily coverage with plenty of that was ok by me. I don't need music or helicopter shots to get my jollies.

For me, no same day coverage is far worse than daily coverage heavy on in-car video. I don't think that the Rally Xtra show on Mondays was much better than the dailies and they rarely showed additional footage that wasn't in the daily coverage. In fact if I skipped any show, it was usually the Monday show (though they all got TiVo'd and watched later).

But, I will be parked in front of the TV watching all the shows in the marathon..."because it is there."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts