Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just my bad timing on checking the channel (like...every 5 minutes) or has Speed TV upped its coverage of Stock Cars (trucks, cars, grassroots, etc.) to about 98%? I haven't seen much else on there for weeks except rally Turkey, F1 Melbourne, and the odd infomercial. What happened to DTM, British Touring Cars, Aussie V8s, etc?

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Speed TV

My guess is that they are showing all the live racing that's happening right now.
You must have missed all 12 hrs of Sebring and most of the 24 @ Daytona.
As far as Aus:
"Round 1 of the
2003 V8 Supercar
Championship Series commences
21-23 March 2003
Clipsal 500,
Adelaide, SA"
but it'll probably be used as a winter-filler again as a tape package to keep us going next fall and winter.
I'm not too unhappy w/it, it sure beats one F1 race a year on tape delay. I just wish it were on more basic cable packages so I can see it when on the road.
(watching F1 Qual right now on tape from last night).
rz
edit:
remember, the NASCAR drivers in interviews were referring to SPEED as "The rally channel" in interviews last year. That must have ruffled a few feathers with the guys paying the bills and MAY have resulted in the new format this year.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

They are advertising 'Dirty Thursdays', where they are going to show racing on dirt. Rally will have to fight for its place with WOO, sprint cars, CORR, and other off-road or dirt-track motorsports. I wonder if lawnmower racing counts as being on dirt?

Adrian

·
Registered
41 Posts

I agree that Speed has turned into a much less desierable network for those of us interested in anything but ASSCAR. Speed has a place on their web site for viewer feedback, use it. I sent in my thoughts on the format of 99% NASCAR. Also on using every other form of racing for filler when the "real" racers get RAINED OUT! (Last week, when a live coverage race from Daytona got rained out, they stuck in some Rally Monte Carlo coverage). Point is, if you don't like it, tell them, if enough of us view our ideas, Speed will take notice. After all, it's everything for the ratings.

Ryan
"If I wasn't racing, I'd be... WEALTHY!"

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Maybe I just happen to tune in at different times, but I don't find a lot of NASCAR on Speed...certainly not 99%. Can anyone remember any other channel putting on the WHOLE 12 Hours of Sebring? And it's interesting that when they have to fill space during a rainout, they put on a RALLY program...they used to show last year's NASCAR race. The broadcast networks still do it.

Bruce

·
Registered
250 Posts

I agree 100%. Also turn Speed on anytime tuesday and you get "two wheel tuesday" hours and hours of motorcycle racing and related motorcycle programming. I personally am fairly happy with the system.

Greg,
Crew Chief
1989 GTX #291

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts

>They are advertising 'Dirty Thursdays', where they are going
>to show racing on dirt. Rally will have to fight for its
>place with WOO, sprint cars, CORR, and other off-road or
>dirt-track motorsports. I wonder if lawnmower racing counts
>as being on dirt?
>
>Adrian

I usually get real dirty when I mow the lawn and have to use stain treatment on my socks.

·
2,953 Posts
TV

Sorry to have to inform you euro-snobs but NASCAR is the envy of the world. I don't especially like it but you can't deny that while every other form of racing is having tough economic times, the top NASCAR teams are growing, the fan base is expanding, the production values of the TV are outstanding and the product tie-ins seem to have no boundaries. My advice is to do whatever you need to to watch and learn, there are all sorts of things to learn from those guys and to ignore it puts you at a disadvantage.
Car set-up, engineering, testing.
Giving interviews, press releases, sponsor-hunting.
Camera angles, graphics, camera shot direction.
Logistics of moving cars and people across the country, equipment and teamwork.
It goes on and on, it is the biggest show out there and you don't have to love it to learn from it.
rz

G

·
RE: TV

The most recent thing I've been impressed by on a NASCAR car are the roof flaps. Beyond that, NASCAR excells at marketing.

The average american is looking for a stable place he can go sit for a few hours with a small bucket of beer, unzip his pants, and relax for a while.

It's an extension of Football, Professional Wrestling, and figure skating.

Motorsports do at least draw some additional people into science and math. I have a friend who may have learned division solely for the purpose of computing compression ratio.

The nerd in me thinks educational tie ins with popular sports like stock car racing could really prove attractive to otherwise disintereted and at-risk youth instead of merely serving to sell cheap beer and perscription medication. Great potential to capitalize on the popularity of the sport in a positive way.

matt

·
2,953 Posts

Yes Dan PH, engineering of reliable pushrod engines that go 500 plus miles at over 9500 rpm.
As long as you are taking pot shots at things you know nothing about, I have friends who drag race too.
They open 2.5" valves over an inch at 10,000 rpm with pushrods to make 2450hp.
flame away.
rz

·
Registered
16 Posts

>Yes Dan PH, engineering of reliable pushrod engines that go
>500 plus miles at over 9500 rpm.
>As long as you are taking pot shots at things you know
>nothing about, I have friends who drag race too.
>They open 2.5" valves over an inch at 10,000 rpm with
>pushrods to make 2450hp.
>flame away.
>rz

Next time I'll have to be more clear when I'm making a joke.

·
Registered
724 Posts

The reason that NASCAR appeals to al the Americans is that NASCAR has been able to perpetuate a myth, that being hte myth that the drivers in NASCAR are just like the fans, you know good ole boys that wear jeans and drive a pick-up. Any educated racer know that this isn't the case since NASCAR is very expensive to run and to get in you have to excel at lower formulas which costs a lot more money then a pro-rally season. Yet NASCAR drivers are still "just like us". Because of european names and foreign accents most Americans see a rally or F1 race and see each driver as a rich, spoiled , sissy, euro which we all know is not hte case. IF Dale, Bobby, ernie, etc. drove F1 and were from North Carolina then alot of these folks would watch F1. remember going to the USGP and you wouldn't believe the amount of Dale Ernhardt, Camouflage, and mesh hats that I saw. I had a group of these people sitting in front of me and the running commentary was "they are fast but what would that sissy euro do with the Intimidator on his ass, sheeeit these guys couldn't handle daytona either!" I neglected to mentino that I thought Earnhardt couldn't handle Eau Rouge, but just like most people we think that our sports are better but in this case their sport is better marketed. Think about it if Marcus Gronholm or Tommi spoke perfect english and were name ernie and dale they would be huge withthe NASCAR set since they are country boys, hell Tommi always is talking about diving his Tractor!!

·
Registered
38 Posts

Hate to be a spoiuler, Randy, but that kind of specific output is not realistic. That 2450hp is made for , what, a maximum of five to ten seconds? And then the engine must be completely torn down and rebuilt. Whenever my straight-line friends start talking about that, I remind them of this:

"Keith Black" 600 cu. in. Top Fuel engine
-600 cu. in. = 10 liters +/-
c. 6000 hp(?) (for less than five seconds)
=c. 600 hp/litre
Plus, if you have to feather the throttle for any reason, KABOOM!

1982 BMW F1 Turbo engine
1.5 litres
c. 1100 hp in race trim at Spa (90 minutes plus with constantly variable throttle settings)
= c. 800hp/litre
In qualifying trim, this STOCK BLOCK engine made better than 1500hp!

For REAL volumetric efficiency, the turbopumps used for hydrogen fuel feed on the space shuttle's main engines make 155,000 horsepower They are the size of beer kegs!

Jeremy Oreskovich
[email protected]

**"Will Rally For Food"**

G

·

Non-reciriprocating engines, i.e. turbines and the like, are usually 90% + effecient aren't they?

NASCAR should have a Liquid Hydrogen fueled turbine class. It would be exciting to watch them tiptoe around each other while passing, fingers crossed that the entire car doesn't go off like a huge roman candle.

My youngest brother has NASCAR curtains for his motorhome. I could turn him to the darkside if only I could find some decent performance rally curtains...

Rally's demographic, I'm guessing, should market similarly to mountain biking. The money there has been drying up for years, though. Off hand, I'd say Red Bull is the last big company to pour money into the market. Subaru already had a marketing program in place for the outdoor market before they released the WRX.

Intrawest, the ski/resort company, could probably get some mileage from associating with the sport.

Lots of others, but the race is starting soon. Gotta go pick up a 12'er.

·
Registered
31 Posts

>
>>Intrawest, the ski/resort company, could probably get some
>mileage from associating with the sport.
>
Yeah and Warwick should be all over that one.

·
2,953 Posts

The question was engineering, and you don't do cutting-edge/impossible things by cut and try, it gets pretty darned expensive. Like you said, "KABOOM".
Getting a huge valve to open and close that fast with a pushrod is amazing, even if it is for just a few times.
My point is that everyone who races at the top of any form of racing isn't an idiot. Roger Penske has had F1 teams and races IRL and NASCAR. He had Mercedes build pushrod engines to exploit the rules for one race. I'm sure his staff uses just as much technology in every car he fields as is afordable to him and he isn't poor. Kranafus-Haas didn't have much luck running NASCAR and they applied a lot of euro-knowhow. PPI is doing it on their own too with in-consistant results.
I know a lot of people who race in many forms of racing and they are all brilliant and doing the impossible week after week. It isn't fair to cut them down because of some personal unfounded bias.
Open your eyes and learn, don't be an F1 snob and then be caught making stupid pit decisions that any circle-jerk would know was wrong when confronted with a safety-car rule situation. There is always something to learn.

·
Registered
368 Posts

>Rally's demographic, I'm guessing, should market similarly
>to mountain biking. The money there has been drying up for
>years, though. Off hand, I'd say Red Bull is the last big
>company to pour money into the market. Subaru already had a
>marketing program in place for the outdoor market before
>they released the WRX.
>

red bull has done heeps and bounds for the freeride mountain bike
stuff! they are hitting "cool extreme sports" hard, rally deserves
a chunck of that money! we need a red bull car! mmmmmmmmmmmmmr32:p
http://bcdbcd.com/backs/redbull.jpeg

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

Actually, Red Bull sponsored Paul Choiniere, but for some reason,they never wanted their logo to be prominent on the car.

You put those logos on the VW in Photoshop, eh?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts