Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sence there is no information posted up on www.sno-drift.org. Will some of the spectators/teams provide me with some detail information I can give to my group of 10-15 people who are coming to watch. I'am looking for general info on once we get there where are we supposed to go and watch, go here to there do this sort of thing.

This is our first time at Sno*Drift.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
William,

Thanks for coming! You will certainly find spectator information at registration, which is at the Atlanta Senior Center a quarter mile north of the intersection in Atlanta on Thursday night and Friday morning.

You may also check local pubs, eateries, and hotels for information, but if you can get there early enough to get to the registration, there will be people there to help you find your way.

Glad to hear of new fans coming to see the mayhem. Dress warm!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>William,
>
>Thanks for coming! You will certainly find spectator
>information at registration, which is at the Atlanta Senior
>Center a quarter mile north of the intersection in Atlanta on
>Thursday night and Friday morning.
>
>You may also check local pubs, eateries, and hotels for
>information, but if you can get there early enough to get to
>the registration, there will be people there to help you find
>your way.
>
>Glad to hear of new fans coming to see the mayhem. Dress
>warm!
>
>Thanks again.

Yes, Eric. The spectator packets were returned from the printer yesterday. They will be available in the Montmorency County Tribune and local businesses beginning tomorrow.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>William,
>
>

Not to pick on Eric, or the SnoDrift crew who put on a stellar rally, but this is wholly indicative of the wrong attitudes towards spectators that pervades North American Rally. Here we have a group of people willing to come up, but they can't find any info about the event. I dunno about you guys, but most of my friends need more than a weeks notice to get the time off from work, kids, wife, etc... in order to do something like spectate a rally. "Show up at registration" where you might or might not find some useful spectating information just isn't good enough, especially if you are going to take time off of work, convince the wife she should let you go, and spend a bunch of money on gas and hotel rooms.

I know the organizers work, that they have 10,000 other concerns, and that they are doing their best. But if we want to grow the sport, this just isn't good enough. Does Rally Mexico wait till a week before the event to post spectator information.

I think each organizer needs to ask him/herself a question. Do I want spectators at my rally? If no, than just say so. If yes, then act like it.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Dennis,

I agree entirely, and the curt manner in which this fan (with 9 other new fans in tow) was dismissed with the first post alarmed me. That is why I offered a friendly welcome to the fellow with as much information as I, a lowly competitor, can provide.

Cheers,
Eric

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>William,
>
>
>You may also check local pubs, eateries, and hotels for
>information, but if you can get there early enough to get to
>the registration, there will be people there to help you find
>your way.
>
>Glad to hear of new fans coming to see the mayhem. Dress
>warm!
>
>Thanks again.

What time does registration open for spectators on Friday morning?
Also is there any kind of warming tent that sells Hot Coco, Coffee, Chili, etc...

Thank you, William

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, since those that aren't doing the organizing continue to enjoy casting stones, perhaps a bit more information would be useful.

While this information does not apply to all events, I know for a fact that it does apply to several.

Many events do not receive final permissions until 7-14 days prior to their event from the landowners. The publishing of spectator information that may ultimately lead to locations that are no longer part of the rally is hardly helpful to the image of the event, or the sport for that matter.

I believe the county holds a 7 day cancellation window on the Sno-Drift roads if I remember the Supps correctly. It seems reasonable for the organizers to assure that the event will occur prior to publishing public spectator information. The competitor and worker corps are a relatively known quantity to the organizers and as such can be informed if things change. The spectators would not have the benefit of that notification system.

Event organizers deliver information such as spectator guides and maps when they have come to a reasonable level of confidence that there will not be changes that render that information incorrect.

As an example, in 2005, the Shooting Star Rally faced the prospect of a complete re-write only 12 days prior to the event due to the budgetary shut-down imposed by the MN legislature. Had we published spectator point information for our original route and then been forced to run our hastily prepared alternate, I've no doubt many people would have been in the wrong place.

Ultimately, the timetable of the organizers is influenced far more by the schedules of others than of their own design. I know of few organizers who wouldn't like to get more of the work done earlier in the organizing process so as to make the final weeks more reasonable. We do what we have to because that is what we are required to accept in order to put on these events.

Brad Odegard - Event Chair
Shooting Star Rally
July 15, 2006 - Mahnomen, MN USA

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>What time does registration open for spectators on Friday
>morning?
>Also is there any kind of warming tent that sells Hot Coco,
>Coffee, Chili, etc...

As Dave pointed out, Friday reg. is from 8am to noon. If you get in Thurs. night, the registration is open till 9pm, too.

This year the layout looks to be similar to the past few years. Friday's service stops are all in Lewiston, where there are a few good pubs and similar places to get grub.

Saturday's service stops are all at the Atlanta high school which will be on the map you receive at registration. The folks at the high school put on a nice concession stand in the cafeteria with dogs, cocoa, coffee, etc. and it provides a nice place to get out of the cold and perhaps overhear a little "backstory" to what's happening on the stages directly from the mouths of the competitors.

As for grub at the spectator spots, I'm not sure if there is any available...and I highly doubt if there are any warming facilities, so dress warm, have spare clothes in case it rains, and you may want to pack a cooler with some lunch meat and bread. There is a Glen's Market in Lewiston and an IGA in Atlanta.

Hope this helps!

Stop by the Mazda truck at service for a free 2006 Mazdaspeed Calendar! And thanks again for coming!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
>Stop by the Mazda truck at service for a free 2006 Mazdaspeed
>Calendar! And thanks again for coming!

Thanks for all the great info Eric. As for the Mazda truck I'll be there for sure. Mabe I can get some good ideas for my MX-3 im building up. And as far as dressing warm I'll make sure I let everyone thats is coming up with me to do the same. I think with my carharts and my duck hunting jacket I should be fine. Im from Bay City, MI so I know what cold weather is. Hopefully I'll have time to say hello to you.

-William

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>Well, since those that aren't doing the organizing continue
>to enjoy casting stones...

Brad,

I'm sorry, but...

"It has always been our practice to post information about a week before the event. This year is no exception."...

is not a response from an entity that has any interest in gaining nor retaining customers. How about:

"Thanks for inquiring about Sno*Drift 2006! While we are excited that you will be joining us in Montmorency County, MI to enjoy the rally, we regret that we can't divulge too much route information too early. But if you get into town during event registration, (Thurs. 1pm-9pm or Fri. 8am-Noon) please stop by and we'd be happy to help you get started toward a safe and pleasurable spectating experience at this first round of the Rally America National Championship, SNO*DRIFT!"

If I were a first time visitor calling Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course to ask about a race, and I rec'd the response: "It has always been our practice to post information about a week before the event. This year is no exception." with no other information, no thank you for inquiring, no direction whatsoever, I'd leave a hearty "#### you" message and go to Road America.

This is a FIRST TIME spectator! Perhaps we could check our egos at the door?

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I'll be happy to meet you, William. I grew up in Sterling (north of Standish) and Bay City was the nearest "city." I spent my fair share of youthful nights cruising Euclid and wrecking go-karts at Putt-Putt. I still get to an ice race from time to time out on the Saginaw Bay with my pop. Look for me...I'll be the driver wearing Carhartt's too.

Eric (Lurch)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Where's the info posted? I just went to the http://www.sno-drift.org/, clicked on the spectator info tab, and still see

"We will have updated spectator schedules and maps in Jan. 2006."

I've been going for the last few years and know the general layout and have previous years info. This year I'll be bringing a fellow Brit who is a US rally spectating Virgin. I keep getting e-mails along the lines of 'Nothings updated on spectator info, what kind of rinky dink organization is this' I know and understand the issues having been reading this site for the last few years, but the average new spectator (Read person spending time away from family and money to go) doesn't. I agree with some of the other sentiments. If the info isn't available explain why it has to wait and say right on the spectator page that free guides will be available around the town when people get there.

Adrian

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Adrian-

Spectator info is there now (9am, EST, Thurs, 19 Jan). Perhaps you need to refresh your browser?

Please come and enjoy yourselves. There are all kinds of varying attitudes amongst us (insert hats as organizer/competitor/worker/spectator/whatever) and thus, depending on which side of bed one got up on, you may get a bit of a testy answer. Most of us TRY to be a bit friendly. Unfortunately the U.S. is a far too litigious society, so spectating will never be like it is in the rest of the world.

Have fun, and press on,

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Adrian-

Don't know what to tell you.

http://www.sno-drift.org/

The button on the left works for me (Internet Explorer).

Over on the right on the Main/Welcome page there is also a way to get to the spectator info. Try that?

Otherwise, can someone with more computer savy help Adrian here?

press on,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts