Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this up earlier but I was wondering what every one thought about having a beginner series that would be based around a certain engine.

I was thinking that a 2L NA engine would be the best choice for a beginner series. I know (or think I do) of a few engines that are shared among several different cars one being the focus engine. I think that the Focus engine is shared in some of the Mazda 3s and maybe some other cars... I don't really know. I also know that GM has their 4 banger that is shared with many of its less expensive cars. Those are the engines that I can think of that are in new cars, but I am fairly sure that there are some older engines that may fit the bill like the 2L that comes in the Mitsubishi Eclipse (non turbo).

I am just thinking that it would be nice to have a class that would be cheep to run and still have a completive car, and yet not be limited to one make. And this is the best that I could come up with.

I know what you are going to say that this isn't what the sport needs right now. And you may be right. You will also say that it would be cheaper to run Group 2. And again you may be right, but if for nothing else other than some intellectual fodder. Do you think that this idea could work as a beginner class?

Otis

·
Registered
434 Posts
We need a spec car/engine class to ensure good competition. This will allow knowledge/parts sharing and hopefully lead to plentiful used spec cars and parts discounts.

If a manufacturer sponsors it I would support your idea, but they would need to be selling us engines, shells, etc at substantial (read - cost) discounts.

-C

·
Registered
21 Posts
Otis,

NASA Rally Sport is working to finish a deal with a major US manufacturer for a spec 2L FWD series. All the parts but the suspension, wheel and tire combinations will come from the manufacture's racing parts catalogue

I can't say more until I get the final agreement but look for an announcement in the next 30 days.

John K. Shirley
NASA Rally Sport East

·
Registered
66 Posts
John,
Can you give a timing on this? When the announcement will be made, for which year it will be, etc.? We have heard this type of thing before.

E

>Otis,
>
>NASA Rally Sport is working to finish a deal with a major US
>manufacturer for a spec 2L FWD series. All the parts but the
>suspension, wheel and tire combinations will come from the
>manufacture's racing parts catalogue
>
>I can't say more until I get the final agreement but look for
>an announcement in the next 30 days.
>
>John K. Shirley
>NASA Rally Sport East

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Evan,

In case your post is an inquiry to ascertain of this is for real or not: The first sentence below, with the words 'working to finish', seems real to me based on a conversation from about 6 months ago. (And OBTW, I have almost zero knowledge on this program beyond the one conversation, so don't think I know anything more than it is a serious proposal.) As for timing, well, execution of any negotiated agreement is rarely within the control of one party or the other, so I would not hold my breath for a firm date.

Regards,
Mark B.

>>
>>NASA Rally Sport is working to finish a deal with a major US
>>manufacturer for a spec 2L FWD series. All the parts but the
>>suspension, wheel and tire combinations will come from the
>>manufacture's racing parts catalogue
>>
>>I can't say more until I get the final agreement but look
>for
>>an announcement in the next 30 days.
>>
>>John K. Shirley
>>NASA Rally Sport East
>

>>
>>NASA Rally Sport is working to finish a deal with a major US
>>manufacturer for a spec 2L FWD series. All the parts but the
>>suspension, wheel and tire combinations will come from the
>>manufacture's racing parts catalogue
>>
>>I can't say more until I get the final agreement but look
>for
>>an announcement in the next 30 days.
>>
>>John K. Shirley
>>NASA Rally Sport East
>

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Hi Otis,

Thanks for thinking and sharing! Just some random thoughts: IMHO, spec engines are not the best for an true economy class; anyone who builds engines can do it more cheaply than buying a spec engine that has been built by others. The spec engines (and spec cars) seem best to me for an 'intermediate cost' or 'cost contained' racing class, where the prices of components are pretty well set at $$W,XYZ, and so forth.

Again, just IMO, the competitor base is not that large in the US, and luring a lot of economy-minded competitors away from their present cars (investements in $$, time and tears) seems not likely to happen in the short term. A few would probably convert, but it seems more likely that new blood and those racing on a sponsorship basis would be attracted to this. Having the benefit of reading John Shirley's post, also having this as an 'official', manufacturers backed program, would be of benefit to anyone in seeking a sponsor.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
434 Posts
LMAO.....I like how John posted a very clear statement and then information is demanded that was already cited as not being available. We all wonder why we never hear anything until the last minute, annoying competitors like this are the #1 reason.

Nevermind the fact that the competitor in question never provided information/service at a similar level of "responsiveness" to what they are demanding.......lame!

-C

·
Registered
401 Posts
I am in if the price is right. Back in the day I wanted to get in on the Daewoo spec class that never happened, and every spec class since. I won't hold my breath but when an afordable spec class is anounced (not an STI class) I will be one of the first.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts