Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm actually getting pretty excited for the Rally of Turkey!

Partly its just the unknown factor, which could mean a much different leaderboard than usual. And, its the first gravel event, so we get to find out how Citroen is coming along.

The other part is that this thing seems to be run almost entirely by Finns!!
I mean Simo Lampinen is the Clerk of the Course, that's funny.
So it might be really good.

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi, Skye

You are absolutely right, as a matter of fact both RAC and AKK Motorsport are officially helping TOMSFED in the organization, this morning the President of TOMSFED said during an interview that it only made sense to hire those who have a lot of experience rather than trying to reinvent the wheel.

Almost 40 % of the workers (almost no volunteers, everybody gets paid) are the Turkish rallyists who are not (or can not) participating in the event and the rest are seasoned rally workers. Based on the latest feedback from the participants everything seems to be running smoothly and there are no glitches. The only main concern of the organisation seems to be the stage safety. Even though they have plenty of workers they are concerned about unruly spectators. They have all spectating points marked yet again when you mix Mediterraneans and motorsports you get a receipe for potential blunders.

Cheers

M.Samli

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I've heard of the crowd control worries, I expect a few stages to be closed (hopefully it doesn't affect too many battles going on!)

Now if only the Speed coverage wasn't so bad :(

Not only is it not same day but they edit it so the cars run out of order and they only show the end of each stage... because I assume the average US viewer does not think it is exciting if they aren't battling head to head with the last time?? Ridiculous! And many of Ralph's comments are incorrect.

Skye Poier
Seattle, WA

Vive le Prole-le-Ralliat!
http://www.rallyrace.net/

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I thought I was being picky and was the only one who had issues with Ralph's comments that's why I have refrained from complaining about it.

I'm ready to bet 100 to 1 that we'll never get to see the Super1600 battle that's going to be fierce, brutal, bloody, exciting.

As of 4:15 am this morning only one stage seems like in danger of cancellation and it's due to snow, not spectator safety concerns.
The guy that TOMSFED appointed to spectator safety/control is a 6 time national champion who is extremelu respected and very authoritative, he wouldn't refrain from being very vocal and even physical is he catches somebody jeopardizing the event.

I'll keep posting the latest as I get it.

Cheers

M.Samli

1 - 5 of 5 Posts