Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Expatriate of the East Coast
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that I talk to regularly from Saskatchewan, and he introduced me to poutine. I'm interested in trying it, hopefully I can avoid cardiac arrest. Anywhere near Bancroft serve it? If not I'll look for it on my way through Ontario.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ontario !!?? Where the hell did you go to school !!!???
Good Poutine is only made in Quebec. All the rest is fake or cheap copy. lol

·
M45 Rallysport Right Seat
299 Posts
Well of course! but some Fakes and Cheap Copies are better than others ;)

·
Registered
665 Posts
Z31 said:
Well of course! but some Fakes and Cheap Copies are better than others ;)
The dish of choice in the area at the moment is venison - at other times of the year brook trout (which is actually char) - try also moose sausage/burgers/steaks/roast... I can't for the life of me recall a place in Bancroft that serves poutine. You'll just have to visit Perce Neige, Baie or Defi.

Robin (a native)

·
Registered
52 Posts
robin said:
You'll just have to visit Perce Neige, Baie or Defi.

i think the best poutine i've ever had was at Defi in a small cafe,

fries, gravey, cheese curds, onions ground beef

was amazing!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you're coming from Pa and you happen to be on the QEW whilst passing through the Niagara Region there is a good chip truck in Grimsby. They sell a dish they have entitled "Newfie Fries". Fries, gravy, cheese curds, gravy , turkey stuffing and whatever is leftover from the other day. No joke. Best version of a poutine in this area. I've driven commercially for 5 years on and off, well into the far northern reaches of Quebec and Grimsby's chip truck makes a fantastic one off of the poutine.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
There is no such thing as good poutine.

Doug Woods

(Who lives in the heart of poutine country).

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts
here in BC I like poutine from "belgian fries"
but that is far away from tall pines

actually, let me correct this statement, I love pretty much all poutine.

·
L4 into R6 into !SPECTATORS
68 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ugh!!! Harvey's poutine is nothing more than a thing that looks a bit like poutine, is called poutine but is nothing like real poutine. Some of the best poutine I ever had was in Jasper Ab. A pizza restaurant call the Jasper Pizza Place. It used to be a little hole in the hole on main street run by a couple of guys from Quebec. There's why it is so good. Now is is bigger and fancier but the poutine remains some of the best I have had

·
Registered
170 Posts
Come on DAD! Get with the program. Poutine is the best food ever! It shows that you are not a true Quebecois! lol Don't listen to my Dad, go to New York Fries, and degustez! As I recall, there was poutine available on the spectator stages at the different venues last year at the Tall Pines. However the comments weren't that great... Enjoy!
Catherine Woods

Doug Woods said:
There is no such thing as good poutine.

Doug Woods

(Who lives in the heart of poutine country).

·
Registered
76 Posts
The pizza delight (bancroft) also has something they call poutine but as suggested if it ain't in Quebec it ain't the real deal. IMHO. Pountine just don't taste the sane without Baie dust or rain layered on top.

·
Expatriate of the East Coast
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wasn't aware that you guys were so passionate about it... haha.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Chez Chantal's - La Malbaie, Quebec.

It's on the water (St Lawrence) on the outside of a hairpin and you get to watch the world (rural quebec 'tuner' cars that is) from your seat. Not too long ago, you could also watch International rally cars (Duval, McGeer, Richard, Sprongl, Buffum, Warmbold, Erickson, Lageman, ACP etc etc etc) service at the edge of your table while slopping some poutine into your mouth. Before that, you would even see cars zooming through the hairpin, over the tracks into the flying finish...all from the wonderful Casse Croute Chez Chantal.

The FOC team has stopped here for poutine while taking the scenic route to Baie before. I make a stop here several times a year. Take note, they're only open in the summer months now.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't have enough poutine experience to say if it was good or not, but the sled shack way the hell out at the end of the last stage of Perce Neige has what I expect qualifies as REAL poutine...cig ashes and all!!!!

Make sure to wash down with a bucket full of Blues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts