Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The organisers of Rally Catalunya announced at 12.30 that Aaron Burkart's co-driver Jörg Bastuck was killed in an accident during SS2, the El Montmell 1 timed event.

Burkart skidded off the road during the second special stage but driver and co-driver remained unhurt at first.

During the subsequent changing of tyres, however, co-driver Jörg Bastuck was hit by the following car that skidded off the road at the same spot. Bastuck was flown to the nearest hospital where he succumbed to his severe injuries.

“Jörg Bastuck's death is a tragic loss to all of us. Our thoughts and sympathies go to his family,” says OMV head of sponsoring Brigitte Mühlwisch.

Jörg Bastuck was born on Spetember 4, 1969 in Dillingen an der Saar/Germany and worked as graduate social education worker. He began his rally career as a driver in 1988 and switched in 1996 to co-driver of, among others, Florian Auer and Lars Mysliwietz.

As a sign of respect, the race organisers announced the cancellation of the podium ceremony, which was scheduled to take place on Sunday in Salou.

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
All this FIA stuff isn't really that hard to find, you know.

FIA 2005 General Prescriptions:

19.19.7 Each competing car must carry a red reflective triangle which, in the event of the car stopping in a special stage, must be placed in a conspicuous position by a member of the crew at least 50 metres before the car’s position, in order to warn following drivers. Any crews failing to comply may be subject to a penalty at the discretion of the stewards.
19.19.8 This triangle must be placed even if the stopped car is off the road.

So it sounds pretty simple. It's interesting that they don't mandate it be on the same side of the road as the offed car.

Anders

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Very sad news.

When we passed Marcus/Timo in Mexico after their off, they had what seemed to be a very small triangle that was about 7" tall. I DID see it though.

Most onboard shots will show a full size triangle inside the roof(I'm assuming for easy co-driver access).

As has been discussed over and over again, there's a lot of information that a triangle CAN'T provide to following cars.

John

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Don Kennedy asked
>Only "a" triangle, not 3 (or at least more than 1)?

Yup. Looks that way from the text.

Anders

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
19.19.8 This triangle must be placed even if the stopped car is off the road.

By their definition, does this mean if the car is parked off the road or gone off the road due to an accident? If the latter, if the crew are both incapacitated and unable to return to the road to warn following traffic, would they still be penalised?

Maybe I'm missing something in their statement?

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>19.19.8 This triangle must be placed even if the stopped car
>is off the road.
>
>By their definition, does this mean if the car is parked off
>the road or gone off the road due to an accident? If the
>latter, if the crew are both incapacitated and unable to
>return to the road to warn following traffic, would they still
>be penalised?
>
>Maybe I'm missing something in their statement?

As I understand it ...

Cars in WRC events carry an emergency beacon and if the car is stopped for a certain amount of time (15 or 30 seconds) without the 'ok' button being pushed the stage is stopped and medical helocopters are sent. I beleive they can also be triggered manually to send an emergency signal.

I'd also suggest that it is clear that a triangle is used in any situation where a car stops during a special stage, even if it is aprked off the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts