Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to participate in Sno Drift 2005. I had success with Yokomama Guardex 185/65/15's in the Colorado ice race series. I have recently stumbled across VREDESTEIN snowtrac's in a 155R15 and 165R15. They look pretty sweet! Any input helpful.

Thanks,

Aaron McConnell

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Most everyone uses either Hakkapeliitta or Blizzak. We used the Hakka Q earlier this year and Blizzaks last year. I liked the Hakka better. (not just because I am a Nokian dealer) The Hakka Q is being replaced by the RSi which is said to be even better. No experience with it yet.

Contact me if you need details on Nokian or Hankook tires.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
You might check out the Hakka CQ light-truck snows. Extra tread and sidewall plies, lots tougher than standard passenger-car snows, not as expensive as dedicated rally snows.

Also check out having your snows "tractionized." Basically the tires are abraded on some heinous wire-wheel machine, which gives the tread several gazillion new gripping edges...tho they drive very mushy and squirrely on pavement, tractionized tires grip like magic on ice and sno.

Dave G
Tire Freak
Last Ditch Racing

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
I beleive the CQ has been discontinued. You may want to contact Greer Enterprises in Wisconsin to see if they have any left over from last year's inventory. There are only a few sizes that would be suitable for a car (such as a Subaru Legacy, etc). There should also be a number of dealers in New York - but I expect their inventory is likely lower than Greer.

185R14, 195R14, 195/70R15 and 205/65R15 (the rest are 16 inch applications)

Visit
www.nokiantires.com
for the current line of snow tires.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
66 Posts
I was a worker at Maine Winter, and a bunch of teams there were using Green Diamond tires. These are imported from Sweden, and feature rubber embedded with carbide slivers.

This makes them work quite well on ice, while letting them have nice open treads for good traction on snow.

I had a set of the Alpin's for rallyX & road driving, and they worked pretty nicely for me. I've ordered the Icelanders for this year, although they look less deep-snow-friendly.

www.greendiamondtire.com

-jeff

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Mwhaaa haaa haaa haaa! Americans talking about snow tires! Har! You know Canadians have 47 words for "snowy road", right?

We use a range of no less than three and up to six snow tire options, depending on conditions.

Deep snow: don't use ice tires (Guardex, Blizzak, Hakka Q or CQ) as they clog. If no ice or little ice underneath, use a proper deep snow tire (Michelin C5 or Pirelli, uh, Pirelli equivalent). Also can run these in slushy snow with exposed mud.

Snow: Yokohama A034 or equivalent proper studless snow rally tire. If you can find the old WR26 that's good too, but less good than the A034 on icy patches as the A034 blocks are siped. Don't run the A034 when there's mud showing through as they wear fast. The WR26 is OK for that.

Light snow with ice showing through: A034 or possibly a Guardex or Blizzak. Might as well tractionize them. If you're running the A034 watch for ice; if the ice tires watch for snow. And here's what no-one seems to think of: drive on the part of the road that has the surface you want. Got ice tires? Drive in the groove. Got snows? Stay off it.

Ice: tractionized and side-cut ice tire. Doubt the power of these? On Des Eaux at Perce you couldn't stand upright on the road and there's a photo of us lifting the inside front wheel.

Real bad combination: ice, snow, and gravel: Hakka C2 is a great tire. Hakka 1 and 2 have their versatile uses too.

Here's the bottom line: siped ice tires are not always the answer as they clog. When you have no ice they are not as useful as a snow tire. When you have all ice they're the bomb. It's the combination tires (Yoko A034, Hakka C2) that are the secret weapons.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts