Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Usually, the earlier snows only last a few days and can be more rain than snow initially.

You may want to bring some polypro thermals. If you don't have any, any of the million outfitters in town will have some.

For you Morgan, if you are out in the weeds tromping around, I would get some ankle gaitors if you don't already own some. They keep your shins clean and from getting banged up, as well add some warmth.

Wool socks are also key. I think the Kiwi should know about wool already :)

There are a few places in town you can call and see what they have for snow tires so you have some options.
http://www.switchboard.com/Tire_Dealers/Steamboat Springs/CO/23/Yellowpages_Results.html

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
you probably shouldn't worry about the snow too much.

It should be pretty well melted by the weekend (think Laughlin, snow only in the shaded places).

I plan on having everything because I'll be trapsing around.

More liekly you'll need to worry about mud and slimy clay like conditions similiar to STPR....

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Better start calling around for snow tires. Reports of 6-18" of snow in the area.

Who knows how much will remain when it all stops, its either going to be wet or snow covered though.....

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
They call my homestate of Wyoming something similar. Where the men are men and the sheep are scared. Apparently they got 16" in Steamboat area. There is a tire place in Denver called Meadow Creek Tire Warehouse. They have a huge stock of snow tires this time of year. We'll have vehicles going up tomorrow night. If anyone cares to have us pick up some tires for them from Meadow Creek call me directly at 303-758-1982. If I'm not home leave a message and I'll call you back. They carry both Nokian and Gislaved, which are Finnish and Swedish snow tires respectively. Probably carry Blizzcraps too if that's what you want.

·
Just another Subaru
786 Posts
It has not snowed sence tuesday from what i understand.

I am seeing lots of mud, slippy slippy clay mud.

I am leaving my snow tires at home. I expect a little snow in shady sections, but for most of the corse should be out in the open.

It is going to be around 60 on saturday.

Erik Schmidt
Open 413

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Snow getting to Steamboat

Jeffy and I leave sunny 80 degree Michigan, fly into Denver, go to the Hertz office, and watch the road condition cameras that show SNOW at the Eisenhower tunnel. Then, on leaving the lot, there is a huge barrel of ice scrapers (we ask for one).

Driving up, we stop to change drivers, and throw snowballs.

This did not give us warm fuzzies (shades of "mountain salt").

Fortunately, the COG organizers gave us "Chanber of Commerce" weather (other than scraping windshields in morning).

Now, for POR (um lspr) - I have no idea.

press on,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts