Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so they're getting snow, the forecast is not for bitter cold, but the big question I have is-

Is there any Verizon Wireless coverage in Atlanta? I have no memory of that from past events....Their coverage map shows that there is extended digital coverage, but does anyone have experience getting it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm sure someone will have some anecdote 'proving' I'm wrong (only been going up there since year 1), but, as a rule only Verizon will have a chance. There is no GSM coverage of any sort. Lurch claims he has service (Verizon). Mary Shiloff claims she gets intermttent service, but never in my presence. I don't know her provider, but it's not Verizon. Others claim to have service, just never when I'm there.

The organizers use 2 meter almost exclusively to communicate when in Montmorency County, as it is reliable.

In short, I'd advise against counting on your cell phone for anything.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Verizon is the ONLY cell coverage that worked for us last year. In our crew we had:
Att
Cingular
Verizon
Nextel
Sprint

Only my Verizon worked. And it wasnt perfect, but everyone used my phone.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have always had good reception in Lewiston. Atlanta is spotty at best. Out on the stages is a pure crap shoot. Depends on your elevation and tree cover where you are standing, I think. This is with Verizon.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>I have Cingular and I am able to get reception on all the
>stages up there (sometimes barely).
>
>Pete

My wife and I were able to get very spotty service on Cingular before we switched to GSM.

(edit to conceal apparent onset of dyslexia)

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>My wife and I were able to get very spotty service on Cingular
>before we switched to GSM.
>
>(edit to conceal apparent onset of dyslexia)

Maybe it's one of those "they don't make 'em like they used to" things. My phone is going on 3 yrs old, has no options or anything. Just a plain phone with a monochrome screen. Maybe that's the secret to getting reception? I always seem to get better reception than most people anyway.

Pete

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>In short, I'd advise against counting on your cell phone for
>anything.

But, but, but...on the worker registration form, the organizers ask for your cell phone number for use at the event. If it's not going to be usable in the woods, just give it to that cute waitress who used to work at the Coach's Corner.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
If the map shows 'extended digital' coverage, then your Verizon phone would be recognized as an accepted roamer IF you have a plan that allows nationwide roaming. If the phone shows 'Extended Network' on the screen when idle, then you will be roaming at no charge. If it shows 'Roam' then you will have service but be charged a per minute fee, that varies with your plan.

Whether you are actually on digital or analog depends on the serving site, your distance from the site, and the phone's capability. If you are wanting to use your cell phone at rallies, for maximum chance for it to work:
- Make sure you ask for and buy a 'dual band, dual mode phone'; this is also sometimes called a tri-mode phone. This type of phone will allow you work with analog systems which are still very common in rural areas, and have the longest range. Some of the Cingular and AT&T phones can operate better on the fringes of analog coverage, due to a bit higher 'talk-back' power.
- I would still recommend Verizon Wireless as the most ubiquitous carrier, with the widest ranging roaming agreements across the US.
- Don't get a digital only service or digital only mobile; you need analog capability.
- Get a plan that allows you to roam at a flat montly rate.
- Don't get Nextel; these are trunking band phones with a unique digital technology used in no other US systems, and that cannot utilze the technologies in the cellular and PCS bands.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Verizon and ATT have both worked for me in Atlanta and Lewiston and the woods. You might have to stand on one foot lean to the south and tilt your head, but I have had coverage.

Had a bag phone a long time ago (verizon), coverage was much better (the phone was more powerful...)

Mike

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Our WCC Satellite Phones were GREAT at Sno*Drift

Last year we used satellite phones from WCC. They were AWESOME. We had a problem on the first stage and were able to alert the crew. By the time we pulled into service, Frank had a new engine map in the computer ready to download.

When you get the sat phones, I recommend you get the magnetic roof mount for both the race car and the service vehicle. I also recommend that you play with them a bit before you start the race. Calling requires an extra keystroke you may not be familiar with. You can use them to call regular phones as well, not just other sat phones.

Here's our press release from last year: http://www.widgetracing.com/pr/04/pr04-08.htm and here's a link to the details: http://www.widgetracing.com/sponsors/wcc/widget_phone_info.pdf.

Rally on (and tell 'em Widget sent ya!)

John

1 - 12 of 12 Posts