Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question on Sno-Drift. If there isn't any snow on the ground up in Atlanta... and the roads are NOT frozen... would it still run? Or would it be cancelled like it was a few years ago.

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I figured. I have driven those roads in the summer... and they appeared way too fast dry...

Philip J. Boer

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
The roads have been used many times in the past on non-winter events: POR, 20 Stages, etc. They are certainly not as fast as CFR, nor are they faster than SCCA guidelines when run dry. Potential damage to county roads is the real issue. Therefore, the Montmorency County Road Commission (rightly) reserves the right to withhold permission if it is judged that major damage to the roads would result. There is major and lasting cold predicted for January. As it gets cold, lake effect will provide the snow. I don't foresee a problem.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
38 deg. and rising, but Sno*Drift is still a few weeks away. :+

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was up in Cadillac last week... and the roads weren't really frozen. I was only wondering if the event would go on if the roads weren't frozen.

Philip J. Boer

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Well, that's up to the organizers really.
I think if there is somewhat snow cover (January has a good chance for that) they will let it happen.
40 deg. and raining at the moment.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
It is actually up to the counry road commission. Thay reserve the right to cancel the rally if they expect more than normal road damage to occur. Unfrozen roads equal above average damage.

Mark

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How do y'all feel about ice? I'm talking left tightens, tree on outside, WRX on Hakkas completely out of control, all at 10 mph.
That was today at noon. That was everywhere on all the roads. Now it's all getting covered with snow. If it stays cold, this is going to be an interesting rally.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have been up there on the "water covered ice roads"

so slippery you can't walk up hill on the roads

wouldn't need to worry about too fast in those conditions

·
Registered
967 Posts
>How do y'all feel about ice? I'm talking left tightens, tree
>on outside, WRX on Hakkas completely out of control, all at
>10 mph.

Sounds like I-5 in SW Washington this morning.

Jim Culp

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Was that the one just over a crest? We hit that tree last year (on my door, co-driver's side of course) but it did keep us on the road. x(

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>wouldn't need to worry about too fast in those conditions
>
Or to look at it another way, EVERY speed is too fast in those conditions. :)

It is NOT true that the 000 car is a Zamboni.

Bruce

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Zamboni

But, in best lawyer-speak, Bruce was silent on cars 0 and 00.

>It is NOT true that the 000 car is a Zamboni.
>
>Bruce

press on,

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: Where to fly in to??? (I'm coming)

Cheapest is probably to fly to Detroit, rent a car, and drive 220 mi. to Atlanta. It might be quicker to fly to Bishop Int'l(Flint) and drive 125 mi. It will cost considerably more. There are other(closer) regional airports, but all connect through Minneapolis & cost a bundle. Bruce would probably have good information on those. Or you could just fly to Minneapolis & drive from there(a very long drive and, to me at least, not worth considering). Many folks will be driving from the Detroit area(and from Minneapolis). You might be able to catch a ride.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts