Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what you all thought of the Sno Drift 04 coverage on Speed today - I thought it was a pretty good 30 min. of coverage of the rally with an nice mix of rally footage and driver/codriver commentary. It is good to have SCCA ProRally back on TV!

·
Registered
768 Posts
- It was good, indeed!
- Very good speed shots, lots of action and good interviews
- If only roads were cleaner, non of that foot thick loose snow on the road, and boys and gals had studded tires it could be like in Scandinavia!
- I also liked how hard these "non factory stars" were driving! Great stuff.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>I was wondering what you all thought of the Sno Drift 04
>coverage on Speed today - I thought it was a pretty good 30
>min. of coverage of the rally with an nice mix of rally
>footage and driver/codriver commentary. It is good to have
>SCCA ProRally back on TV!

I may get jeered for this, but I thought that the half-hour show was more entertaining than a full hour show. I thought that the story packed well into the smaller time frame, it was better for tv than stretching things out.

I thought Russ did a great job with the commentary. It is good to have a knowledgeable participant doing that.

The sound quality seemed a bit suspect. It seemed there was some clipping on the audio track.

Production class was still not mentioned at all. I have issues with that. I can deal with G2 and G5 being lumped into a 2wd class, but I want to hear P class coverage.

I thought the camera positions were excellent. They showed good corners, and other corners where there were "issues" for competitors. Congratulations to Repica Productions and all the other people that were shooting video.

I can only hope that Oregon Trail will be portrayed as well. To all involved, please keep up the good work! Thank you Subaru, Dodge, and Hot Wheels.

Cheers!

Ben

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I thought this was the best broadcast of Sno*Drift yet.

The sno and ice has proven difficult to drive on and even more difficult to video tape.

The in-car footage proves very valuable, would like to see a little more effort into setting those cameras up (pat's rear view mirror blocked a lot of the view...)

The camera locations have gotten a lot better, better shots of the cars moving faster. This requires a lot of work, the fast corners tend not to be easy to access -- thus the 2wd cars looked really slow, slower than their times reflect. We would need a lot more cameras to get the best shots, for the limited budget, planning, time, the positions were excellent.

Crowd shots were good. Always dissapointed that there is a rush to do the champagne finish before a crowd can gather. (Many workers are still in the woods when the first cars arrive and are scored...)

Russ did an excellent job with commentary - very proffessional.

The night shots in car are great for Sno Drift, would like a bit more of that.

Thought that day-2 wrapped up too quickly, not enough footage of the last leg of stages.

Agree that all classes need to be represented, not a fan of the lumping of G2 and G5 -- to hard to follow who is who. There was plenty of time to give each class one minute of coverage.

All-in-all with how difficult it is to show the cars moving fast at the event (they regularly hit over 100 mph, but take the junction corners at 10 mph...) I thought the mix of interviews and actions was a great way to portray the event.

Good job to Doug and crew.

Mike

·
Faster !!!!
768 Posts
Didn't get to see it, hope there is a replay sometime soon ...

It has probably been said enough already, and I don't
know if the people who produce these shows even look
at special stage, but I'll say it again:

All classes should be shown individually.
Prod, G2, G5, PGT, Grp-N, and Open.

Does anyone have contact info for the people who produce these shows ?
(do you think it'd be worthwhile to e-mail them ?)

;)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
replay is monday at 3 central

·
Registered
527 Posts
The best way to promote Pro Rally on TV must be to entertain the audience and we are not that audience. The people who read SpecialStage.com all know the results anyway and are mainly tuning in to see our friends. To attract and hold the far larger audience watching at home, the producer has to show the fastest, most exciting cars and drivers, no matter what class.

To look at it another way, if the series was exclusively for Production class cars would there be a TV series? I'm guessing there wouldn't be any television coverage at all because while fun to drive Production cars can be boring to watch (especially on ice). I'm not making this up. In Canada last year our broadcaster was able to supply minute-by-minute audience numbers that proved that as soon as the mid-80's VW's running in P3 starting getting "extensive" (ie. 3 or 4 consecutive shots) coverage, the channels started changing.

Production classes are great for the sport and need to be nurtured but not as an obligation on precious national TV time. Let's remember who these shows are really made for and cut Doug and his team a bit of slack.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i think they at least deserve a 10 second results graphic for the p class. having not seen the show i will comment more tomorrow.

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
I set up the VCR to record while I was at the Ballgame....but Alas, my college age kid no longer lives here so, of course, it did not work. I'll try to get it this afternoon!

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Thanks for the compliments/comments on the show. I'll pass them on to Replica, not sure if they read the boards...

Speed Channel has the replay listed at 4:30pm EST today if you want to catch it.

I thought it was for 4pm, so you may want to set the VCR/tivo/DVR for the 4-5pm hour, just to be safe!

Russ

·
Registered
500 Posts
Probably one of the reasons, I think, why the production class wasn't shown, and the G2 and G5 classes were grouped together, was because it was only a half-hour show.
Indeed, I miss the hour-long rally fest.
Enjoyed the commentary, knowing when competitor's brakes aren't working on ice and when, because you can hear the beeping. :)
I particularly enjoyed the night-shot of a certain Subaru flying down the road, then (I heard, anyway) a distinct "oh s--t" as the car went straight to the snow bank.

Plus, it's nice to finally put faces to names I see on the board here!
-ACP
-Christian Edstrom
-another certain young Canadian who, three years ago, took the Jump at Brockway in their White Subaru, and, I'm told, at the top end of fifth gear, getting some 5-6 feet (it appears) of air.

This year, I'm gonna make sure not to screw up and get into something else, so I can work LSPR!

·
Registered
183 Posts
>I may get jeered for this, but I thought that the half-hour
>show was more entertaining than a full hour show. I thought
>that the story packed well into the smaller time frame, it
>was better for tv than stretching things out.

I was thinking the same thing. Due to their limited resources, they don't have lots of cameras to put on every stage, so in the one hour show you got lots of shots from the same camera position. It got very repetitive. In the 30 minute show it seemed to be a lot more diverse.

I think Prod should have at least a quick wrap-up of results minimum. They mentioned PGT twice and showed Pat Moro and I 3 times - fun, but unfair on the Prod folks.

Neil.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
I can understand the idea behind promoting the sport on TV by only showing the most exciting stuff, but shouldn't there be something letting the viewer see the "point-of-entry" to this sport as well. It doesn't have to be much, but something is better than nothing. A viewer may see it and think that it looks cool but too extreme for them, too costly, etc. A brief mention of the more affordable and/or lower speed classes could be a help. Certainly results should be listed if nothing else.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If someone can post something up or email me before the next broadcast, I may be able to record the show and put it up on the internet for all to download. Would that help anyone?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts