Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was mentioned before. They are very popular in Yurip.

Could be much easier and economical to put on.

Would provide a "faster than rallycross" experience for novice drivers...more like real rallying.

Would provide a place for instructors or whatever you wanna call them to keep an eye on novice drivers until they get their wings.

Would be a fun afternoon in my estimation. I'd go.

I would think insurance could be a better situation...not being on public roads for transits. Or stages for that matter.

Should we be talking to landowners? Decommisioned Air Force bases? (Big solo event at Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda, MI)

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got 3 locations in MI in mind. I would think out west with monsterours ranches and such that a venue might be available?

Many roadracing tracks are building dirt facilities...maybe we could use a combo of both the dirt and tarmac to get a little stage variety?

Some I have talked to don't have a dedicated dirt road, but would let us use gravel access roads. One even offered to help create a suitable testing venue...maybe he'd be in for helping to create an event. Or at least a school.

I really wanna see the driver talent and judgement improve, instead of car spec declining.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am also a believer in the single venue rally events, NOT STADIUM RACING, (just to pre-empt the "poo-poo'ers"...)

Rally Park Northeast, and Kearny Rally Park are 2 that I can think of
where I wouldn't mind going for a couple events...

RPNE is right down the turnpike from me, (about three hours) and I am sorry I never made an event there yet, I hope they are planning on more!

Russ

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
There were no events there this past year, RPNE, (that I know of). Single venue events would be great (like the Irish event in NY this past September) but first you need the venue, just like first you need the roads for a stage rally. Costs also have to be reasonable. $250 for 12 miles at the Irish event was a little steep.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sue and I came to the same conclusion when we learned of the problem here at the SCCA. Here is what is happening and what we know so far. We have submitted a proposal to pursue European Rally Cross style events in closed venues. We are looking at 3 levels of competition: Rally Cross as it currently stands with the addition of Divisional and eventually a National program similar to Solo. The second level would be safety prepared cars (Rally Sprint) on rougher (read more fun to drive) courses with greater speeds than would be allowed for Rally X. Cars would be run as singles or two at a time with little chance of contact. The third level we're calling Circuit Rally, its full on single seat rally cars, no cats, no restrictors, no navie, side by side, motocross style courses, hopefully with dirt and tarmac on the same lap, with 4-6 cars at a time.

Why can we get insurance for this and not for stage rally? Simple, we can seperate spectators from rally cars.

Could this be a place where new drivers earn their license upgrades? That would be up to Rally America, but I would think car control and brain control would be very obvious to anyone watching.

If this is of any interest to you please drop Sue a quick email. Just say you support Circuit Rally. [email protected]
Doug

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>Oooh, I dont like Circuit Rally. It isnt rally, it is those
>dirt truck things..

If I were doing "circuit rally" I would build a car for such. Either you are gonna have a bunch of busted up cars like the MIRA series has after the first event, (no offense to the Butts boys) http://www.coochtek.com/mira/albums/03-01-19-MIRA/aak.jpg or you are going to have to have specially built tube frame cars with clip on fiberglass body panels a la CORR so you can cut out the damaged area and replace easily...and have stacks of fenders.

And if I had to expend that kind of effort, I'd just go do CORR cuz its already got great venues, infrastructure, fans, TV, SPONSORSHIP, and competition.

------------------------
When I speak of single venue events I speak of things like Richard puts on at Paris, Texas. Use a military base or racetrack. You have control over spectators cuz its private property...it has gates. You have a central service so no trucks are on the public roads. No transits on public roads. (See an opportunity for lower insurance here?) A fairly compact location so officials can keep an eye on rookies...or anyone else. Emergency services would be infinitely easier...and response times should be much quicker. I'd like to call these single venue events "schools" and maybe have instructor codrivers with the new drivers. Have multiple stages.

Add in centralized concession area, a loudspeaker to tell what's going on and it sounds like a lot of fun.

It is NOT a REPLACEMENT for rally, though. It is just the proper first step toward a license...and a cheaper, enjoyable afternoon for the seasoned guys. I think these things make more sense to fill the rookies' brains up with better judgement than much of anything else. Then they can go do proper nationals after they've done some single venue stuff and showed they know how to keep from getting dead.

Problems? Right now they don't exist much (Tarmac Express, Northwoods on Henry's land, and Paris, were the only three I know of) and finding suitable land.

Call your local roadracing track and ask. What can it hurt?

·
Registered
436 Posts
>It was mentioned before. They are very popular in Yurip.
>
>Could be much easier and economical to put on.
>
>Would provide a "faster than rallycross" experience for
>novice drivers...more like real rallying.
>
>Would provide a place for instructors or whatever you wanna
>call them to keep an eye on novice drivers until they get
>their wings.
>
>Would be a fun afternoon in my estimation. I'd go.
>
>I would think insurance could be a better situation...not
>being on public roads for transits. Or stages for that
>matter.
>
>Should we be talking to landowners? Decommisioned Air Force
>bases? (Big solo event at Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda, MI)

Lurch,

Isn't what you decribe the description of a Rallysprint?

(I thought you left rallying for drifting? That's in an enclosed
venue.)

Patrick

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I think that was the SCCA's name for it...

SCCwho?

Edit...Not yet. Trying to figure out a way to get paid for a full time drifting gig to pay for my rallying. Then I can spend 360 days a year in a car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts