Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should all National level events be required to host a Rally School in the same geographic area on a separate date from the event (months apart)?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Rally schools

Some assumptions are made here:

1. There are actually roads available in the area at some other time.

2. There would be enough attendance at a rally school to make it economically viable.

3. The organizer has the capability - both staff and other resources -to expand what is already a 10-11 month effort to a second event.

If any of those assumptions fails, the rally school wouldn't happen...and thus the ProRally itself would go away, if you make it a requirement.

Having said that, a rally or a school near a ProRally venue is in general a good idea (works for Headwaters)...but a requirement?

Bruce

·
Registered
222 Posts
How about a school for organizers instead?

How about having "Organizer Interns" who can follow the event organizer around and learn key skills like:

- begging at town council meetings for road permissions
- cajoling local businesses into donating money, goods or services
- placating angry "country folk" who live along the route
- convincing people to commit dozens of hours of their free time to help out

We had 21 new ClubRally applications at Sawmill. We turned away a half dozen more (spectators who wanted to get a license). NEDiv won't be lacking for event entries in the forseeable future. A dozen regional 30-50 mile ClubRallies would be helpful, though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
RE: Rally schools

I have to agree.

Is it a good idea to have a rally school associated with a ProRally (held in the same area), sure...

Is it reasonable to add this as a REQUIREMENT to ProRally organizers, no way! Last I checked, they already had to pay (most out of their own pockets) to have the "privelage" of being a ProRally, and didn't get much in return.

How about this; the SCCA provides funding (at least enough to secure a venue) and trained professional instructors (provide certification, not every good rally driver is a good teacher) for a Rally School to any region hosting a ProRally.

that's my vote.

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: Rally schools

Wouldn't it be better to have the rally schools in association with strictly ClubRally events? I thought the SCCA really wanted to sort of, disassociate, Pro from Club, and if the ProRally series is going to be as professional as they can be, it wouldn't be appropriate to have a beginner's rally school in association with that series.

Umm... that sounded a little rough, but you get the idea, I hope.

And yeah, maybe the SCCA should send out Organizer Interns to help the organizers with everything else they have to do! :) Maybe SCCA should be in charge of an official Rally School Program.

Just an idea...

Kristen

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: How about a school for organizers instead?

Yes, what they all above said. I didn't vote because my choice isn't there. There needs to be more schools. There needs to be stricter licensing requirements. This needs to be done at a club level.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
RE: How about a school for organizers instead?

I'm amazed at the stuff "SCCA" should do. Face it, folks, WE are SCCA. If the National Office does something, they pay for it with OUR money. Sure, they can do all of these things...but are we willing to pay for it?

I'll assure you that putting the burden on already overtaxed organizers ain't the way to do it.

The "organizer intern" gig has been going well for some time. Ask Kim DeMotte how many events he and his team visited and worked. Ask Jimmy Brandt what he did at Headwaters this year.

Bruce

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Organizing ClubRallies in NEDiv

>NEDiv won't be lacking for event entries in the
>forseeable future. A dozen regional 30-50 mile ClubRallies
>would be helpful, though.

With the loss of STPR and Maine dual entry Pro/Club events in NEDiv, NEDiv ClubRallies are practically ProRallies with less workers. The cars on the start list at Sawmill surpassed those entered at Rim ProRally the previous weekend (based on the Evo index, < twice the # of Evos = faster).
The attention of SCCA PerformanceRally for the past several years has been directed at ProRally until now. ClubRally had been left for volunteer pee-ons.

·
Registered
946 Posts
RE: Organizing ClubRallies in NEDiv

>>NEDiv won't be lacking for event entries in the
>>forseeable future. A dozen regional 30-50 mile ClubRallies
>>would be helpful, though.
>
> With the loss of STPR and Maine dual entry Pro/Club events
>in NEDiv, NEDiv ClubRallies are practically ProRallies with
>less workers. The cars on the start list at Sawmill
>surpassed those entered at Rim ProRally the previous weekend
>(based on the Evo index, < twice the # of Evos = faster).
> The attention of SCCA PerformanceRally for the past several
>years has been directed at ProRally until now. ClubRally had
>been left for volunteer pee-ons.

What about the Sub-a-rat index?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts