Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Others have repeatedly said Stig's budget is much higher than Pat's. That might be correct... I don't know either of their budgets.

But.... Let's play the motivation game for a minute.

Let's pretend David Sutton is as wealthy as some here claim. If so, why is he running a 60+ year old driver who was the world champion many years ago? To win GN in the U.S?

Unless Stig is broke and needs a pay check, my guess is David Sutton and Stig are doing this for fun.

Anyone here KNOW (no guessing allowed) the budgets of these two teams for this year?

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
Not sure where I read it but as far as I remember Ana Goni (sp??), Stig's co-driver is paying for a lot, if not most of the expenses. I belive she is from South America and is very wealthy. Probably could search the info on Google if some one is realy interested . Maybe someone else has read the same thing??:+

They originally partnered in WRC for Production cars (what ever the name is) and it was David Sutton preping the car at that time as well.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Get a copy of David's book, "The Choice of Champions" by LiveWire Books. Tha would help.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
356 Posts
>Unless Stig is broke and needs a pay check, my guess is David
>Sutton and Stig are doing this for fun.
>
>Anyone here KNOW (no guessing allowed) the budgets of these
>two teams for this year?

Is this some sort of joke? jens, have you been to ANY events this year which Stig or Pat have run? David Sutton shows up with a VTSC-like mitsubishi box truck, a small mobile home, and (from what I can tell), a rental car of some sort (if not more).

Pat shows up with a beat-up box truck, a trailer, and a rally car (and some die-hard service crew who cram into the truck and drive across the continent).

There is no comparison. If pat's budget were 1/10th of Suttons, I would be amazed.

As for why Sutton is doing this? Sutton is doing it for the same reason Vermont SportsCar does it... to get PAID.

Stig (or Ana, it doesn't really matter) is paying for the same reason that everybody else is doing it.... Fun.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I doubt either is gonna tell any actual budget information..

But I believe I read or heard Pat once say that the Subaru Contingency monies were paying a big chunk of their event costs, and thats only $2500 for a win.

I bet you DSC spends $2500 by looking at their car the wrong way, or on smokes in a weekend.

·
don't cut
4,073 Posts
As others have noted, the money Pat is spending versus that being spent on or by Stig is vastly different. This is readily apparent in the number of people wearing the DSC tee shirts versus those gathered around Pat's trailer.

Just as an example, when was the last time Stig drove the service truck towing the rally car to an event? I know for sure Pat drove to last year's COG. I did not ask him who drove this year.

Stig I love yu' and know you are still a great driver, but I like the underdog more. GO PAT!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>As for why Sutton is doing this? Sutton is doing it for the
>same reason Vermont SportsCar does it... to get PAID.
>
>Stig (or Ana, it doesn't really matter) is paying for the same
>reason that everybody else is doing it.... Fun.

I had read posts that indicated Sutton was paying for this. That is why I was questioning (aka: asking, inquiring) what's going on.

So let me get this straight. Stig and/or Ana are paying the bills, and have hired David Sutton, correct? Sutton did not hire Stig and Ana, correct?

So....

The numerous pitty poor Pat posts are sour grapes, because rich Europeans are paying to win the series??? **IF SO**, where was all the crying, wailing, moaning, when ProDrive was here with their mega-buck teams slaughtering the local teams, raising the "bar" (aka: costs), and bailed when they had finished using everyone here?

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
what poor pat posts are you talking about?

i see no sour grapes.

i see people feeling bad for the guy because of the mechanical troubles he is having.

i see people being pretty impressed w/what he is doing w/less.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>what poor pat posts are you talking about?
>
>i see no sour grapes.
>
>i see people feeling bad for the guy because of the mechanical
>troubles he is having.
>
>i see people being pretty impressed w/what he is doing
>w/less.
>
>

It would appear that it is more like a rich Venezuelan and European are buying the championship lead, I think Pat still very much may have something to say about buying the championship, remember its 6 of 8, its not over yet.

I haven't seen anyone pitty pat, more like praise him for be out gunned (in terms of money) and bringing the fight to Stig and DSC.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
>You didn't see it because it was you doing most of the
>wailing, moaning, and crying during those years

And you were cheering the slaughter which won. Roll your eyes until your optic muscles spasm if it makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
>i see people being pretty impressed w/what he is doing w/less.

I'm impressed with Pat too. I've been impressed with him since 1999.

I really should take and "effective writing class 101", so people understand and love me, but.... screw it.

I understand your point about Pat doing more with less (really... I do understand it! I promise! I really really mean it! I do understand it!).

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts
I was waiting for someone to mention that. She's a cutie!

>Did anyone else notice her daughter? :) Wow is all I have
>to say!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>#37 Chris Rhodes

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
How about a conspiracy ? RA took over the sport, except NASA didn't roll over. RA decides to garner attention and brings in Stig. A business investment so to speak. Lots of press and verbage, the King has returned. All is well until the pesky Pat R decides he isn't going to slow down and wait for Stig.... there is still lots of attention but it's being shared. The championship that was to be Stig's is in danger. Promises need to be kept. Vinnie and Guido are out of town so instead RA increases the tech inspections hoping to catch Pat in a misque. Doesn't work. Then a plot is hatched. Start Patr 8th on the road. That'll upset him and cause a mistake, get him distracted. So as not to be obvious they'll start Stig 5th , he's in on the plan so it doesn't bother him. After all he is a hired gun and used to taking orders. Plan seems to work , Stig wins event, gains points. But a revolt is brewing, PatR becomes the champion of the "little" guy, support and sponsors pour in .
The championship is now even in more danger....stay tuned.

Boy I sure miss the X-Files....:+

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Quote from interview with her;

The future of rallying

* "I worry that rallying has gone a little too far down the business road and that "real rallying" will disappear for good. You need to make sure that there is still room for the privateers. They still have a place in rallying and they need to be respected."

AMEN :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Will you stop crying over everything ferchrissakes.

For those who are unfamiliar or living in Lalaland, this is how competitive sports work. You spend money (if you have it) to win, that's all there is to it. I remember people complaining because ther was no sponsorship money to be had, there wasn't exposure, blah blah blah.

Pat is a great driver, hell he proved his world class skills competing in WRC events, this year he may be lacking sponsorship money, why would that make him the "Underdog" why would Pat's lack of sponsorship money make Stig or Ana or Sutton "The Badguys, The Unfairs" and please don't tell me that's not what you are thinking.

This is rallying people, money talks, and it talks a lot. You win some rallies, you lose some rallies but as long as there is exciting competition, good quality cars and drivers, the sport wins.

What would you rather say at a sponsorship meeting to your prospective sponsor, that you are competing in a relatively unknown group of people or in a group of people that includes World Champions and international involvement.

As Paul Sr. would say "SUCK IT UP" (yes I am watching it).

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
>But a revolt is brewing, PatR
>becomes the champion of the "little" guy, support and sponsors
>pour in .
> The championship is now even in more danger....stay tuned.

Pat's budget: Depends upon two things: Sponsors slightly. How much his fellow competitors support him by buying things from his shop and such.

Stig's budget: Who cares. It appears big.

So the solution. Buy more stuff from Pat. Revolt.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts