Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to NZ for a while to bum around at the end of 2004, and it would be super fun to do some rallies; at the very least, I'll be volunteering at the WRC event. I probably won't be able to afford to do any rallies ($$ saved for hostels and whatnot) but just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it costs to have a car shipped to/from NZ from the West Coast (Seattle)?

Thanks,
Skye

·
Registered
803 Posts
the cheapest way is to get a container and pack it yourself and then you just deal with standard shipping rates. a 40' is not much more than a 20', and you can even put a van and trailer in it as well (you will have to have a narrow trailer or mod yours).

If you get an ATA CARNET (not an FIA CARNET) you dont have to worry about customs and any clearance. Only stipulation is you have to send the stuff back within 2 years. You leave the US plates on the car.

If you get an FIA CARNET it only really covers the car - but it is cheaper. "Proper" way is to get an ATA CARNET.

Beware that inbound cars and such in NZ are subject to a ministry of agriculture inspection and if your car is not COMPLETELY SPOTLESS (i.e. any dirt at all) they will fumigate it and spray it inside and out and it will take longer to clear.

Once in NZ you get a local registration (leave the US plates on the car). This is a sticker that goes on the car. Same for your VAN. For the sticker, the car and/or van and/or trailer needs a simple checklist of stuff (i.e. that it has lights, etc.) and almost any shop can do this. Then you take the checklist to the registry, pay for the local road registration, and you are ready to go.

Finally, if you want insurance (liability and road) for when in NZ, you can also get that as well.

Total inbound costs should be around ~200 / car (inspection, reg sticker and temp insurance).

-Pat

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Fesco (http://www.fesco.com/fanal.htm) have ships that regularly ply the pacific ocean between the east coast of Australia, New Zealand and the west coast of the US (including Seattle).

I recall a 20' costing me something like $1800 from Australia to US. Pat is correct, the packing, vanning, devanning, unpacking, customs agents etc really add up (almost double the raw shipping cost), you can do a lot of it yourself and save.

> Beware that inbound cars and such in NZ are subject to a ministry of agriculture inspection and if your car is not COMPLETELY SPOTLESS (i.e. any dirt at all) they will fumigate it and spray it inside and out and it will take longer to clear.

Don't forget the USDA check for anything heading back into the US too.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I took a mountain bike to NZ once. The inspection was complete, the bike could not have any dirt anywhere - I would not even try and bring used rally tires, put new ones on right before loading the car into the container. Unless you like cliening the tread with a tooth brush.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts