Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hat's off to Marcel for creating an awesome web site that captures the history and feeling of Canada's biggest rally event ever!

Thanks to your hours of selfless dedication, we enthusiasts/nostalgia buffs have an outlet for our dreaming. The whole Trans Canada/Shell 4000 rally phenomena is a source of inspiration to those of us who continue the rally dream in the 21st century.

RE: Modern Day Retro/Multi-day TSD
----------------------------------
Now, if we could only get together the resources to run a retro and/or contemporary equivalent. There's definitely interest in this in the West and, no doubt, the folks in BC & AB could pull-off a multi-day TSD event. However, the Prairie region is still in the early days of it's rebirth with the Queen City Motorsports group starting to re-emerge after a long dormancy. Of course the ON, QC and Atlantic regions are rally strong, so the feasibility of hosting a cross-country TSD is likely there also.

Seems to me that this is an event for one very dedicated rally master, perhaps with the resources of a major sponsor and/or TWE-type promotions/logistics company. However, it's too bad that the involvement of someone like TWE (or equivalent) would just create an expensive event for the benefit of a select few...<sigh>...someday we'll all have more time and more money for these day dreams.

Cheers,

Bill Westhead

·
SA @ T
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: Shell 4000 Rally New Trans-Canada TSD

Bill,

Many people have mentioned that they would like to see a Trans-Canada TSD rally reestablished. You and Paul should drop Peter Gulliver, ([email protected]) a note. He's been involved with Targa Noof and has voiced a desire to take a major role in organizing such an endeavor. Of course, I'll do everything I can.

Maybe we can get together at Tbird to discuss it?

M

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Now, if we could only get together the resources to run a
>retro and/or contemporary equivalent. There's definitely
>interest in this in the West and, no doubt, the folks in BC
>& AB could pull-off a multi-day TSD event. However, the
>Prairie region is still in the early days of it's rebirth
>with the Queen City Motorsports group starting to re-emerge
>after a long dormancy. Of course the ON, QC and Atlantic
>regions are rally strong, so the feasibility of hosting a
>cross-country TSD is likely there also.

Here are some of my thoughts on the above.

A cross-country rally would certainly be an interesting undertaking. The format of the rally and the potential competitors would have to be studied and evaluated in detail.

I cannot see an event for period cars (similar to the recent Safari Rally), as there are just not enough cars of this age rallying in North America.

I cannot see a glorified tour across Canada for "gentlemen" drivers, as this would be a betrayal of the Shell events where all of the best rally drivers in Canada and the USA competed in the events.

I suppose a TSD rally is feasible, but remember that the Shell events were not really TSD events. Although average speed were used, you were allowed to drive as fast as you could and arrive at controls early and then check in on time. As related to me, the reason that Jim Gunn used average speeds was so he could position controls anywhere on the route depending on road conditions. For example, in the spring, if he found roads full of mud, then he could place controls at the start and end of such roads to make such sections competitive.

The Shells used true Special Stages, and this is the format that I would like to see adopted for a cross-country rally. There are now many more roads available that could be used as stages across the country. In addition, most of the country is no longer "in the middle of nowhere" and the use of transit sections between stages is almost a necessity to ensure that the rally runs without problems with the public, police and road authorities.

There are enough stage prepared cars in North America to ensure a good entry with top quality drivers. However, I cannot see the event happening every year. Perhaps, a one-off event co-ordinated with the Canadian and SCCA Championships (or, thinking out of the box, counting in both Championships). Perhaps, an event happening every four years.

Doug Woods

·
SA @ T
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: Shell 4000 Rally website updated....again

In the latest of almost daily updates to

http://www.shell-4000-rally.org/

I have added about 500 never seen before photographs. Check out the image gallery items for each year under the history page.

If there are any more images sitting around, I'd love to put them into the collection.

M

1 - 5 of 5 Posts