Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How are US competitors supposed to fill out the Seed and Class section at the top of the CARS entry forms? When is one an Expert vs. Novice? How does US seeding map to Canadian seeding? (We are seed 5 in the US now.)

We have already sent in our entry for Big Horn and Rocky Mountain, so we get to figure that out at the Registration Desk. I am in the process of filling out the Pacific Forest entry form and I know the guys there so I want to fill it out right :)

Also, Big Horn will be our first Canadian event. Does registration and tech work like a US event or is there anything different that we need to be aware of?

alan

·
Registered
803 Posts
Put your US seed (and mark it as such). There is an ongoing exchange between organizations (CARS/SCCA)of seeding lists. According to the rules, you should be recognized by your US seed according to the seeding list. If you've just acquired your seed, and the updated seeding list has not been published across the border (and then published from CARS to the event organizer) then you should contact the US seed list owner (is it still John M?) and ask him to fax a copy of your seed to CARS, then call CARS and ask them to fax an update of your seed to the event. But realistically, if you have been a seed 5 for more than a few months, you have nothing to worry about.

As far as tech goes, expect your turbo to be dismantled before the event unless you are running under the US open class exemption (free to run, no classification if still using the 40mm). The rest is the same, minus 25 cars and some cheeze that doesn't seem to go anywhere. If you are running in the top 10 or winning your class you can expect to be on TV :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
I believe that US seed 5 is a seed 5B in canada.
And a US Seed 4 is a Seed 5A.
But I may be wrong.

You can always contact the cars Presdent (yes they are reachable) Terry Epp at 905-640-6444.

Brian

·
Registered
730 Posts
US Seed 5 = CARS Seed 5A
US Seed 6,7 = CARS Seed 5B
US Seed 8 = CARS Seed 6

This according to Linda "Mrs. CARS" Epp.

Don't bother calling the CARS office for the next 10 days, as they will be at the events in Alberta.

Paul

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone on this, particular Pat (who had Ross scurrying around trying to get a restrictor made on Thursday), Terry at CARS (who got our seeding fixed and told us how to deal with timing when a stage becomes a transit and you got started at :30 instead of on the minute) and Paul Westwick (who was generally helpful).

The only issue that took me completely by surprise during scrutineering was sticker enforcement. While there are CARS rules to allow SCCA competitors to run under SCCA competitor rules (i.e., no First Aid requirement) and CARS rules that allow SCCA log-booked cars to run according to SCCA rules (aside from the 34mm turbo restrictor open class thing) and CARS has a mapping between SCCA seed and CARS seed, there is no such harmonization on the visual identity requirements.

When we went through scrutineering, we were required to install a CARS number backer over our SCCA one as well as remove the ClubRally windscreen decal and replace it with an advertiser decal.

While I think this should be changed in the future to allow SCCA cars to run the SCCA visual package (including SCCA permanent numbers, except where they conflict with the low numbers that would otherwise be used), this note is not a complaint. It is just a heads-up for SCCA competitors that are thinking about driving in Canada. The events are great (all one of them that I have competed in :), so I recommend it (if I will be restickering the car for my next SCCA event).

alan

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, personally, I like permanent numbers. It makes it easier to identify your car to folks. Particularly if you drive a blue Subaru or a white Evo.

I wouldn't mind changing numbers and reinstalling the SCCA number for US events. The problem that I had was getting the number backer installed correctly without my decal tool and heat gun. Also, Pat, not sure if you saw our little exercise at parc expose of trying to peal off the "SCCA ClubRally" windscreen decal and getting the "CARS windscreen sponsor" decal on straight. I spent a long time getting that blue background all lined up and installed bubble-free and now it is torn to pieces.

alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts