Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the recent post regarding saftey equipment, there wasn't much info on what seat people have been choosing, so I thought I'd start a separate thread. If anyone has good resources on comparing seats by the following criteria, that would also be helpful.

Let's here it:

Brand -
Model -
Cost -
Purchased from -
Reason for selecting -
Did u try it out first -
Would you reccomend seat -
Would you reccomend vendor -

- J. Farina

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Hmm. seats are about as personal as helmets and suits.
You might have to add your size/ budget to get a better idea to what's being used.

I have a Racetech RT4009WHR ... new last year, FIA app, side mount, head restraint, I love it ... wish it were a wee bit taller (I'm 6'1"), but the "W" was the selling point for me.
http://www.racetechseatsna.com/

Before that a Sparco Evo 2 (good/OK seat) and before that a MOMO Acropolis. (a very nice seat).

Best bet is to go to a an event and sit in a few.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Brand - Recaro

Model - SPG ProRacer HANS

Cost - Roughly $1200-1300 retail

Purchased from - Vermont SportsCar

Reason for selecting - Integrated side-restraint head wings; designed for use with HANS device.

Did u try it out first - No.

Would you recommend seat - Absolutely. Best seat I've ever used. Rolled 8 times at 2005 Colorado Cog with no subsequent head/neck pain whatever. Very comfortable. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Would you reconmend vendor - Yes, very much.

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Every butt is different, so you may want to find some demo seats. As a rule you'll spend 4-800 bucks a seat. Number one concern is getting a FIA approved seat, then consider getting one with helmet wings. I have OMP seats from Safe Racer. Not state of the art but the price was right ..$200 on close out ..FIA rated. We don't run a lot of events, nor am I serious about competing anymore, if my rear gets tired I'll pull over. I did have a poorly designed seat cause a tailbone injury years ago...I spent 3 years not being able to sit straight or for more tha 30 minutes. Gene

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Just my 2 cents:-

Brand:- Sparco

Model:- "Driver"

Cost:- Around $400?

Purchased from:- DemonTweeks

Reason for purchase:- Sit way lower in the seat

Try first:- No

Recommend:- Absolutely, I won't part with them, but unfortunately, they're not made any more. Get Sparco to remanufacture.

Recommend vendor:- Absolutely. 5 days to my door from UK.

I'm 6'2" about 215 and these are the snuggest seats I've ever sat in. Virtually impossible to move once esconced.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well... I can tell you all you need to know about seats. I did a major research on seats, as one of my very good friends, was seriously hurt, due to a cheap /fiber glass, copy seat.

I will not bad mouth any brands. But, I can tell you that
I would NEVR-EVER sit in a FIBER-GLASS seat again. That's why, I chose COBRA SEATS. The Cobra competition Seats, are made out of Kevlar shells. 'No FiberGlass' (Carbon Fiber option ) Not only that, the covers last a long time. Most companies, offer nylon fabric on their racing seats. Cobra Seats, come with Italian made, Polyester Fabric cover.

The best part of all this, Cobra seats are offered at a very low price. Sometimes, $40.00 to $80.00 cheaper, than what you would pay for a fiber glass seat, with a nylon cover.

Unfortunately, many seating companies, have print ads, showing you a professional champion, using their brand/model seat, but then again, they turn around and sell you the same brand and model seat, in a fiber glass..
and you are thinking that '' ohh man, I have the same seat as the world champion.. ' NOT' A professional driver, would never use a fiber glass seat.
'How would you feel, if you were racing, and you had a 185Lbs. engine block, sitting next to you, in a fiber glass case... hummm.. !!!!! ( Not very safe huh..)

Thats why my fellow racers, you should do your homework first and do it once but do it right. don't learn the hard way, other racers made that mistake for you.

As for comfort, I find Cobra seats, one of the most comfortable seats out there.

As you can see, It doesnt take a genius, to figure out whats a better seat out there. Do it once, Do it right.

Thanks for reading my post.. and sorry If it was long, but i feel every racer should know this.

Happy Motoring..

:)

ML.

·
Registered
9 Posts
BTW... I purchased my Cobra seats from Sube Sports.
Chad Dimarco,'the owner' and Andreas Cardini 'sales rep', were full of knowledge.
They are in Huntington Beach, CA (714)847-1501
www.subesports.com

I purchased the Suzuka seats.
The Imalo seat, is another great buy.
Thanks again.
ML/PH
:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, the Cobras seat seems like the only kevlar/CF option under $1,000 that still incorporates the head restraint design.

Its a little hard for me to swallow the $2G cost for seats. Any other options?

Can u be a little more specific about the injuries that were sustained or more directly, the failue that occured in the seat?

What brand/model seat was it?
Wass it old?
In another crash?
Mounted properly?
Do you have any other resources to help justify the extra costs?
Are there any metal products out there that may sacrifice weitght for strength and cost?

J.

·
Registered
935 Posts
My new seat is an OMP Record 2. Steel tube frame, integrated head restraint. Cost was about $600 CAN once duty and taxes were added in (came from overseas). I chose it because it was cheap, had an integrated head restraint, and is the new seat of choice for the rocketrally cars being built out west in the beginner package. I did not try it out first, which is a HUGE roll of the dice, and I ended up being about the maximum possible size which can still fit into the seat. I do like it however, and was given great service by the folks at Planet Motorsport whom I bought it from here in Ontario. If cost was no issue, I'd find something that fit my bizarre dimensions a bit better, but right now it's only a minor comfort issue if I put on any weight, not a safety one.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
>Brand - Recaro
>
>Model - SPG ProRacer HANS

Now the HANS model has no fixin's for the HANS device, just accomodates it better, right?

My issue is that the SPG ProRacer XL does not have a HANS version.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Here goes...

Brand - Velo
Model - Apex fibreglass
Cost - $1200 Australian Pesos (about $860 Greenbacks)
Purchased from - Autosport
Reason for selecting - 1st in Butt-fit test, has real head wings, not pretend ones, deep sides and great shoulder support that doesn't impede arm movement when driving and is HANS compatible.
Did u try it out first - Yes
Would you reccomend seat - Yes - absolutely
Would you reccomend vendor - shop has changed hands so don't know new owners yet.
(Velo is an Australian brand, and this particular model is as good as anything made around the world for rallying IMO. I can't see how to add a picture here unfortunately)

With regard to fibreglass seats and accidents/injuries, the standards for seats used to be a lot weaker, but now the latest FIA tests are a lot tougher to pass - the new seats are far less likely to break and cause the occupant injuries. Mike Hurst can probably add more info on this.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Racetech 4009WHRV (the HR is for Head Restraint) and for my codriver a 4009HRV. Much more comfortable (for me) than my previous Cobras, Recaros and Sparco.

You can buy it right from the company...Jeffy gave the address.

This seat, the 9009, or the Recaro SPG HR seat are the only seats I would consider now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If Fiber Glass seats are strong enough to use, Why aren't they used by any world champions?...

Name one pro. champ., that uses a fiberglass seat...

P.H.

·
Registered
10 Posts
"Name one pro. champ., that uses a fiberglass seat"

Maybe it has more to do with budget and seat sponsors wanting the big guys to show off their high money seats than it does fiberglass?

Not sure mind you but it's not so far fetched in my mind.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It probably has more to do with weight saving - carbon seats are usually 2-3kg lighter than fibreglass. You will probably find that the carbon seats only have about the same strength as the fibreglass, because the extra strength of the carbon isn't used to make it stronger, just thinner and lighter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.