Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intersted in what this whole rallysprint thing is going to be about?

Come to Colorado, the weekend of April 9 and 10. We'll be hosting the first ever SCCA RallySprint on a 1-2 mile long course on saturday, then a full on SCCA RallyCross on sunday. Lots of prizes and perks lined up for the RallySprint, including one free professionally shot photo, some free sparco gear for top finishers, free Grassroots Motor Sports subscriptions and lots of other stuff.

If you're interested, post, PM me, or go to http://www.coloradorally.org and join the mailing list and get your information straight from the organizer!

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Kevin,

Help me out here if you would. Is this RallySprint in essence the same thing as CircuitRally that SCCA National announced or is this a different animal? Is Topeka involved in setting this event up/promoting/running it/etc.? Did your local region do all the leg work for the prizes? What will the cost be?

Thanks for any info.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I don't think its the first SCCA RallySprint, but I could be wrong.

Didn't they run a rallysprint in maryland at least once? I think Alex drove in it -- or was that just rally cross?

Was Mike Halley's events RallySprints or C1s?

I also thought there was a rallysprint out west.

In anycase, rallysprints are a good idea. And good Luck!

Mike

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Didn't they run a rallysprint in maryland at least once? I
>think Alex drove in it -- or was that just rally cross?

That one was in VA. RallyBrat did not drive as a competitor(he had no driver's license). He did get some hotlaps of a deserted rallyX course there in an Open class car afterward though.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Excuse me but I was under the impression that Seed9 Rally Sprint that is organised by the SCCA Las Vegas Region was indeed an SCCA Rally Sprint until this year. I thought SCCA was going to get in Rally Circus Biznez, now they want to call it a Rally Sprint ????

Hmmmmm, peculiar, most peculiar.

Cheers
M.Samli

·
Vote Libertarian next time!
447 Posts
I was putting on SCCA Rallysprints at Glen Helen Raceway in Southern California back in 1991,92 and 93, and Mike Blore was doing them even before that.

John Elkin
"Don't go where the road don't go."- Ringo Starr

·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the first RallySprint under the new SCCA program since the SCCA dissolved the performance rally board as we knew it in 2004.

The course will be 1-2 miles, with multiple laps possible and runs likely. The speeds will be in the 60+ range and expect jumps as possible. If you remember the SCCA announced three new series after dumping performance rally, CircuitRally, RallySprint, and RallyCross. CircuitRally is the SCCA interpertation of european RallyCross, RallySprint will be a single car running what most people envision as a super special stage, a higher speed longer rallycross course that requires caged vehicles with full safety equipment. RallyCross will remain a low speed average speed under 45 mph, and allow street legal vehicles with only safety helmets being required.

As far as I can tell, the RallySprint held on April 9th will be the first ever RallySprint under this new SCCA program and oversight. The course that we will be using will be built on a large motorcross course and will recieve excavation equipment for course dsign and maintenance. There are over $1,600.00 in prizes for this first event and the Topeka management is expected.

This is not the first ever offroad event held by the SCCA called a rallysprint, but if you remember the former realization of rallysprint was run under the club rally program, this will be the first event of the new stand alone series.

In addition to the RallSprint, we will be holding a rallycross at the same location on a different course the next day. This will be a traditional rallycross, and will be 5 or 6 laps for 25 SCCA members or 35 for non members. We also have arranged for discount hotel rooms for those interested near the site.

Again, this is the first event of the new program in the country as best as we ahve been informed. This is not the first ever SCCA event to be called a rallysprint though.

I am working and have sparing access to the internet for the rest of today and possibly tomorrow. I will answer questions as best I can.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Stop the presses.

Since all of history starts (or stops) with the stroke of a pen in Topeka, Doo *** 1 must have been the first* stage rally on the west coast. Congratulations to everybody who participated in this more-or-less once-in-a-lifetime historic event.

Jim

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
The old SCCA rally sprint definition was basically a club rally with less than 30 stage miles I believe. The new format is more closed location, lower cost, probably lower average speed, cheaper for competitor, more marketable. I'm sure there have been quite a number of events run under the old rules that would easily fit under the new. The Bull Ditch Rally Sprints held in CO in 2001 could easily be similar. The difference is, this will be the first one since they eliminated Stage Rally, and thus their new focus of sorts. The course is close or above 2 miles. The goal is for 6 runs per competitor (easily obtainable as we get six runs easily at the smaller rally cross course at this facility with over 30-40 people), with possible fun runs afterwards. 2 drivers per car is allowed. Entry fee is $120 with lots of prizes including Sparco gear (graciously provided by me www.nocoastmotorsports.net despite my bank account being negative and not being able to enter due to no money for the entry fee), GRM subscriptions, free professional 8X11 photos (I believe that was the size), and lots of other stuff. Oh yeah, and depending on the number of competitors there may even be cash, yes cash, prizes.
Now Circuit Rally, that is still in the works. Haven't heard anything on any events yet, but we have a few locations that could probably accomodate.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
RE: SCCA's first ever rallysprint?

>The old SCCA rally sprint definition was basically a club
>rally with less than 30 stage miles I believe. The new format
>is more closed location, lower cost, probably lower average
>speed, cheaper for competitor, more marketable.

2004 Rulebook 1.7.B.2 RallySprints:

RallySprints are a series of timed runs on a closed course such as a motorsports facility, where a codriver may not be required and a routebook is usually not issued. Several drivers may enter using the same vehicle at a rallysprint. RallySprints may include Parc Exposes, Parc Fermes, and service breaks, but do not usually include transit sections.

>I'm sure
>there have been quite a number of events run under the old
>rules that would easily fit under the new.

Aside from the fact that the new RallySprint non-rules (there isn't a rulebook on the SCCA website, so I'm not sure exactly what rules this RallySprint is running under) seem to allow a Solo I lapping format, there doesn't seem to be much difference.

How soon we forget.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>I don't think its the first SCCA RallySprint, but I could be
>wrong.
>
>Didn't they run a rallysprint in maryland at least once? I
>think Alex drove in it -- or was that just rally cross?
>
>Was Mike Halley's events RallySprints or C1s?
>
>I also thought there was a rallysprint out west.
>
>

Alpena, MI 1982? In a quarry. Won by D.Shepherd in a colt.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>>I don't think its the first SCCA RallySprint, but I could
>be
>>wrong.
>>
>>Didn't they run a rallysprint in maryland at least once? I
>>think Alex drove in it -- or was that just rally cross?
>>
>>Was Mike Halley's events RallySprints or C1s?
>>
>>I also thought there was a rallysprint out west.
>>
>>
>
>Alpena, MI 1982? In a quarry. Won by D.Shepherd in a colt.

Actually, we called that the "QuarryCross.

M

·
0 Posts
>>>I don't think its the first SCCA RallySprint, but I could
>>be
>>>wrong.
>>>
>>>Didn't they run a rallysprint in maryland at least once? I
>>>think Alex drove in it -- or was that just rally cross?
>>>
>>>Was Mike Halley's events RallySprints or C1s?
>>>
>>>I also thought there was a rallysprint out west.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Alpena, MI 1982? In a quarry. Won by D.Shepherd in a colt.
>
>Actually, we called that the "QuarryCross.

Did you have the foresight to register "QuarryCross" as a trademark?

Colorado dudes->
Good for you on having an event. Just don't forget that most of us are immune to marketing doublespeak. This isn't the Berlin wall coming down....

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
AAAAANNNNyway. Good luck on your event, Kevin. And thanks for organizing a "dirt competition in which cars are involved." (TM) (SM) (C)

·
Registered
689 Posts

HEEEEEEELLO PEOPLE , I'm the one with ADD. Kevin announces another event for Rally drivers in his area , do you really care who sanctions it or what it is called.......off on a tangent about SCCA blah blah blah ....... OK we ain't exactly swimming in Rally here in America....duh So let's try this instead.

Hey Kevin great to hear of another event for Rally nuts to participate in. Good luck and hope this one will be a regular fixture on the calender.This should be a great way to ease your Rally-X drivers in the transition to full on stage rally.

Tom Grossmann , Seed 9 Rally

M

·
0 Posts

He's the one who titled it "SCCA's First Ever"...

You'll have to forgive myself and possibly others for reading the title and wondering what it might mean, and it certainly wasn't true at face value.

If it weren't for that claim, it's presumably an event with regional interest only, unless he was hoping to get the mighty western Nebraska contigent to appear. There's a group in Eastern Nebraska with a lot of Corvairs that appear at Autocrosses, but I doubt they'll be there ;)

The Colorado group has a lot of good rallycross activity, hill climbs, ice racing, etc. They don't need to sensationlize their hard work at all.

·
3,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I am just the conduit, heck I probably won't even be there.

Its all semantics, this is the first ever event of the new program, just becasue Topeka is recycling a name doesn't change the fact that its the first event of a new program.

And we are having more than regional interest, atleast on competitor from Texas is already planning to attend.

Come or don't, cheap thrills and good prizes to be had.

After reading the responses I feel like a fereaking optimist.

If you don't want to come and play don't. Won't stop our guys from having fun or travelling to your events when they can.

Next time I decide to be a messenger I'm wearing kevlar.

PS thanks Tom, and if the guy from texas sees this, bring your friends!

·
Registered
186 Posts

>Next time I decide to be a messenger I'm wearing kevlar.

Make sure you have nomex underwear on too. ;-)

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

>
>He's the one who titled it "SCCA's First Ever"...
>
>You'll have to forgive myself and possibly others for reading
>the title and wondering what it might mean, and it certainly
>wasn't true at face value.
>
Matt,
here's some words of experience and wisdom from a couple of America's most seasoned vetrerans*:
"Come on, don't you have something better to do than complain about silly stuff like this?...........

The person writing the release is an experienced ralliest and a professional writer, whose job it is to make the stories more interesting (it's called artistic license), so that people actually read them"

And
"Perhaps this alternate wording is better, but this goes into style, content, and approach. It is a difficult decision a writer must go through in how to present how many facts and in what manner. It also depends what the goal of the writing is.

Is it to objectively present the facts? Is it to provide a recap of events? Is it to generate outside interest? Is it something else, or any combination of said objectives.

A lot of these answers have to be anwered by both the writer and the party the writer is representing.

The fact is this thread is vetching about silly details and symantics. Degrees of truth and reality that are valued differently on a case by case basis."

See?
What does it matter, really?
Just casue I did a SCCA rallysprint in March of 1987 in the Capitol Foerst, 1 REAL gravel road used 4 times, and time for some extra fun too. For like $30.

THAT was before the Inter-net, and hence it wasn't on TV so how could we have even KNOWN about it????

So it doesn't count.

Don't all you people have something better to do than be so negative???

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

janvanvurpa (at) f4 (dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!

The question is veterans of WHAT?

·
Registered
730 Posts

>Just casue I did a SCCA rallysprint in March of 1987 ...
>
>THAT was before the Inter-net, and hence it wasn't on TV so
>how could we have even KNOWN about it????

1987 was before the internet???

1 - 20 of 39 Posts