Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm flipping channels and guess what....

I see Rhys Millen on The Learning Channel (TLC). So, I stop flipping to see what's up.

Drifting! That's what's up. Rod Millen is running some Pontiac GTO (not the real GTO, just one of these Jap look-alike thingys).

So there you have it boys and girls. Rallying has been taken over by stadium racing rice burners that slide and smoke.

And if anyone replies with comments about the wonders of manufacturers and TV time and all that crap.... I'm gonna puke.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Old news.

Really? I hadn't seen it before. It must be a repeat.

I now know why SCCA kept RallyCross. They're gonna make it a "feeder" system for drifting.

Just think about the possibilities....
RallyCross will be like NASCAR feeder racing. Then ya can move up to drifting like Winston Cup.

Oh the humanities!

·
Registered
63 Posts
how is drifting even a competition, its like judging who wins nascar races by who does the best victory style burnout. I realize there is some skill and stuff involved but still its not a race its like figure skating with cars... without ice... and less interesting...and even more pointless

·
Registered
83 Posts
>figure skating with cars

My thoughts exactly. Any "competition" that requires "style judging" to arrive at a winnner is not a "sport", it's only a "performance art".

-Aaron
ClubRally Scirocco Mk1

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>>figure skating with cars
>
>My thoughts exactly. Any "competition" that requires "style
>judging" to arrive at a winnner is not a "sport", it's only
>a "performance art".

Tell that to the Olympics

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>Ok, somebody help me out. What does Millen making money
>have to do with the SCCA ditching Rally?

Nothing. I mentioned Millen, because as I was flipping channels he caught my attention (I recognized him). I stopped flipping to see why he was on TLC.

There is nothing wrong with him following the money. I wasn't commenting about Millen. I was commenting about SCCA rally and its new baby.... drifting. The particular event that was shown might (or might not) have been related to SCCA.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>how is drifting even a competition, its like judging who
>wins nascar races by who does the best victory style
>burnout. I realize there is some skill and stuff involved
>but still its not a race its like figure skating with
>cars... without ice... and less interesting...and even more
>pointless

I can see how some might find it interesting. Ya buy your ticket, buy your beer, sit down in one place and watch the T&A and the smoke and noise. Nothing different than monster trucks etc. Nothing wrong with it either.

I was a bit disgusted with some guy gloating about how he burned up a $200 tire in 15 minutes. What a waste. That aside... my V8 RX-7 could probably burn up the same tire in 5 minutes. So what is the point?

Drifting is a display of car control (at low speeds)... a "dance" as was mentioned in the TV show. It would be more interesting to *me* to watch something similar, but on an icy or water slicked surface. But... I still wouldn't pay to watch it.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Gave up watching the Olympics years ago when they turned professional! What a joke!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Er lets see .....Drifting = High horse power cars totally sideways doing burnounts side by side and good looking young girls in itty bitty bikinis..... Yeah I have no idea why a 23 yr old guy would want to go see that when he could stand in the middle of the woods with a couple of old bald guys like us.

Tom Grossmann

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
> Gave up watching the Olympics years ago when they turned
>professional! What a joke!

YUP! I can say the same thing about rally on TV.

I hate to sound like an old guy (I'm only 49... and grew up in the 60's ... sorry you youngsters, but you missed out on alot of fun stuff), but things have changed for the worse in many sports.

In the 60's and 70's (before cable TV with its BS promises of commercial free programming, because you were paying a monthly fee), there was ABC's "Wide World of Sports". WWS was great. They showed all sorts of sports (some I loved, some I liked, others bored me to tears). The point is: there was a selection of different sports. Now, there is just homogenized professional crap with a smattering of amateur sports.

I watched a couple of hours of the Olympics this year. Being a shooter, I was interested in seeing some of the shooting competition, but I couldn't find anything. What I kept finding was some dumb beach volleyball stuff... just a bunch of T&A without much T. Boring.

"Professionalism" ruined the Olympics, ruined SCCA rally, and destroys all it touches. I'm sure many will disagree (as evident from advertising dollars), but that is my opinion.

Wide World of Sport's slogan was: "The thrill of victory, and the agony of defeat." I submit the new slogan should be. "The thrill of purchasing victory, and the slaughter of amateur sports." This is what happened to SCCA rally the past few years.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts
I'm not really sure the SCCA sold out Rally for Drifting... It seems to me that the SCCA was promoting drifting a couple of seasons ago with their big puch being this past summer.

In any case, my only real and personal experience with the "Sport" of Drifing was a the ALMS racing in Portland this year where the big "Drift Competition" had the spectators packing Bleacher A at turn 12.

Guess what? They didn't show!!! The Drifiting Competition was cencelled because NONE of the drivers/teams showed up. It wasn't cancelled a week before or even a day before...

ALMS organizers found out when they just didn't show up.

I guess that kinda speaks to the market they are pandering to. The SCCA knows that it's primarily stocked with older, more well established members and they see the drop in memberships, revenues and projections as a lack of getting the NEW BLOOD into the Club.

So the SCCA is doing whatever they can to get that "new blood" (read... MONEY) into the club. Problem is, racing requires Money and Long Term Commitment. Neither of which are common in this new crowd they are swooning. Miata cup, sure... but Drifting?

No... I think we were sold out to MONEY. Pure and simple. There are ONLY two ways to make money in an established company. Especially when there is a DROP in projected earnings.

1 - Aquire or create new avanue streams
2 - Cut expenses and increase profits from existing streams

I think the SCCA is smart enough to realize that the future of the club is NOT in the hands of Drifting. I also think they are smart enough to know that ABSOLUTELY CANNOT reduce ANY expenses relating to Road Racing in any way, shape or form because THAT is their base and their largest income earner. To anger that crowd would END the SCCA.

Stage Rally offered the EASIEST cut, the HIGHEST return with the LOWEST risk. It's really that simple.

Sure, Insurance is/was a great (some say convenient) issue to point to. But I suspect that it really boils down to a null cut. The SCCA balanced it's liability and benefits and found that they took both the LEAST political hits, the nominal revenue hits and the long term GAINS to warrant the action.

That's business and the SCCA is, afterall, a business. Unfortunately, Pro/Club Rally got "the business"... good, bad or otherwise.

I'm confident that when it comes to Rally America... Business gets Booming!!!

Scott "DKOV" Kovalik
----------------------

1 - 20 of 58 Posts