Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my renewal for my SCCA stuff but seeing as how NASA is coming strong should I just ditch it? I am not sure but I think that since Ray is really involved that NASA will be running the west. Maybe I am too early here we will have to see.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, that is a decision that is better arrived at after careful consideration of all the facts as we know them at this time:

1) NASA RallySport is headed by Ray and John, who are serious people dedicated to the sport of rallying, and no comparison should be drawn to the defunct NARRA. Whould you like to be part of a group whose solely dedicated to the sport or one who has other interests in mind, not necesarily ours, the rallying membership?

2) There are very good rallies that, at this moment, are not part of the newly-created NASA RallySport group. This may all change in the near future, hopefully, but for now you need to ask yourself how important are these SCCA sanctioned rallies to you. If they are, then you need to retain your membership in SCCA. However, keep in mind that this new group will need all the support they can get at the beginning (meaning participation)to get the strength necessary to attract the big-named rallies away from SCCA.

3) By not renewing your membership, you could be making a statement to SCCA that could be interpreted as saying: "I am disgusted with what is currently going on with SCCA and I will no longer be a part of it. I rather be a part of a new group and help build it right from the beginning". Are you okay with that?

In conclusion, if more people embrace this new group and balk at renewing their membership with SCCA we could create a ripple effect that can affect negatively SCCA membership, SCCA sanctioned event participation, and ultimately the pockets of the organizers. Whether this is the best way to go about convincing organizers to jump ship or not remains to be seen. There is also another factor to be considered: finances. Obviously, making the jump to NASA RallySport can have a positive impact on the pockets of the organizers and the competitors. Is this important to you?

I, for one, have made the decision to help this new group grow by not renewing my SCCA license and those of my team (which I pay for)and have personally committed to John to help this new entity grow in any way I can be of assistance.

Carlos Lopez
E.T. racing

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I have just returned from Gorman where I worked yesterday with a great team of workers. Hot as hell, but everything ran smoothly. Heard from many sources that NASA has now become the word and that interest is growing rapidly, something that I have also been pursuing for a while. I will not be renewing my membership with SCCA. They have received my last dollar. NASA decals look great!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that everyone is looking for a change frankly , perhpas this is my oppurtunity to change. I just want to know how they are going to run things, speed factors, notes, recce, and classes before I jump into it. ON the other hand I think that it is good to support people that are making a change. Perhaps I will renew both just in case and support NASA while keeping my options open. If they allow recce then I am NASA 100%

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
There is another possibility... FIA license.
Has anyone thought of that?
Accepted by both.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
The whole idea of going with NASA is to reduce costs for all concerned, not increase them. Why would you want to pay for a FIA licence to use in club rallies? Membership of NASA is a fraction of SCCA's costs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My question about NASA is why isn't there much in the way of rally on the website? it looks to be more roundy-roundy oriented than SCCA is. Granted what we have been hearing around here seems to indicate there is a definate interest on their part for a rally program, it doesn't look like their corporate office shares that view, or at least does not mention it on the web page.

In fact, other than the NASA forum dedicated to the rally group, none of the menu choices even list a rally program. Maybe I am just not finding it, but I foresee the same thing we currently face with SCCA; an organization that deals with all forms of motorsports and therefore doesn't specialize in the correct form (ours).

Jon
-- Saab 99 - Screaming Yellow Death

·
Registered
118 Posts
You have not taken in consideration that this is a brand new group. Give it time. Read, listen and observe. Soon you will see where NASA RallySport is heading.

Carlos Lopez
E.T. Racing

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yeah, but SCCA still requires that you be a member in order for you to participate in their sanctioned events. So the FIA license wont do you any good without the SCCA membership.

Carlos Lopez
E.T. Racing

·
Registered
2 Posts
But NASA is not a brand new group... they should at least have a news article saying "hey we are going to start driving in the woods soon!" I guess I am still leery that since NASA as an organization is already in existance as a road race sanctioning body, what will prevent them from treating Rally as the red headed stepchild?

Jon
-- Saab 99 - Screaming Yellow Death

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Jon it appears that they might very well be intending to be what the SCCA should be doing, merely cashing checks and mailing licences and sanction papers, leaving the running of the events to the people running them. Sounds simple doesn't it.
The real important issue facing the whole bunch of us right now is to let your local organisers know just how much you care or don't about the space above the number backers, which oddly enough in the rest of the whole world is nearly always sold to the event sponsor, rather than the sanctioning, in other word do you really care if it says SCCA or Qwest or HP SteakSauce?

further do you really care if the event is part of a series?
(hint: you shouldn't, it makes no difference how you do, you should be concentrating on just the next corner and braking, braking , braking )that's the thing that requires judgement , gassin' it is easy)

If NASA stays small and assist when asked by organisers but mainly lets the get on with their own events, ewe can roll back the clock and take a second run at the future, with local organisers at the helm instead of some PR Dood who as yet has never built anything, never driven anything and never came through with a sseries sponsor despite YEARS of BS.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jon,

NASA Rally Sport is a new group put together by American Rally Sport Group and Rally Promotions. NASA Rally Sport is exclusively managed by Ray Hocker, John Shirley, Roger Allison, Kendall Russell and Wilson von Kessler. NASA corporate has no management control over NASA Rally Sport. The ralliest run the show!

We will have our own web page soon to relay information as it becomes available.

Thanks
John Shirley
NASA Rally Sport
[email protected]

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I did not renew my SCCA membership or license. Last week they sent a second renewal application as if I did not receive and ignore the first one they had sent.
Thanks NASA.

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
An answer through illustration by corollary.....

Many years ago, back before IBM PC's, or Macs, or Lisa, or Linux, or NetWare or NT, I was looking at buying a computer. My choices were a Tandy CoCo, an Apple IIe, a Commodore VIC-20 or C64, and some funky things I'm sure you've never heard of, stuff like Sinclairs with membrane keys, and "luggable" computers like KayPro and Osborn.

At any rate, I asked my physics teacher what he'd recommend. He said "Buy your software first." If your software runs on a CoCo, then you know what the Tandy is the way to go. If it requires a IIe to run, then you'd best support the Apple community.

So how does that relate to rallying?

What memberships you choose depend on what races you plan to attend. If you're only going to be running at NASA sanctioned gigs, go with NASA. If, like me, you're running the ProRally series, then you need to pay the big bucks for an SCCA membership and license. Or, if you can't get enough rallying unless you travel the states and the world, you can buy both, and more besides, like USAC and FIA.

I'll continue to hold onto my SCCA membership because it gives me a chance to work in the Race Control tower at our local race tracks when I'm not in a car, but perhaps your situation is different.

Just remember, buy your software first.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>VIC-20 or C64, and some funky things I'm sure you've never
>heard of, stuff like Sinclairs with membrane keys, and
>"luggable" computers like KayPro and Osborn.
>
Wrong ;) But very good point about buying your software first.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
> I did not renew my SCCA membership or license. Last week
>they sent a second renewal application as if I did not
>receive and ignore the first one they had sent.
> Thanks NASA.
You mean to tell me that the paid clerical staff in Topeka noticed that a mere member had not renewed for some reason like the renewal was lost in the mail and actually took the time to send you a second notice? Sounds like good service to me unless you actually sent them back a reply the first time saying go away and don't bother me.
Richard Miller

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Sounds like good service
>to me unless you actually sent them back a reply the first
>time saying go away and don't bother me.

If I thought they would listen, I would return one without payment but include why in the space allowed for comments and suggestions. Rather, I will let them waste their postage rather than mine because they've already shown that no one there is listening.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts