Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not trying to get flamed... Just a question.....

Was looking at the entry list for rim and noticed travis pastrana
was listed as seed 3..... How do you go from seed 6 to seed 3 in one event? I was under the impression that you need to place in the top or some shite to move up to that level? Is it based on speed factor at all? OR does TP just get special treatment..

Who updates speed factors and such? If you won an club event or placed up top in a pro event would you make a big jump or just to the next lower seed?

larry

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
he has been doing alot of road racing hasnt he? im pretty sure he was/is part of the redbull driver search.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Larry,

you musta missed it, but there was a thread on this before Sno-Drift.

Basically Travis' people asked the SCCA to give him a pro lic.. and what not, due to his previous experience. He has spent the day with David Higgins and driven the Subaru WRC car a few years back. The SCCA obliged and that is where he is seeded.

I believe anyone can do this, if they can demonstrate sufficient previous experience.

I believe that's the jist of it.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
The rally officils can assign a seed based on prior experience. I think seed 3 is probably the LOWEST seed that he should be assigend, IMHO. (I was out of rallying for several years and applied for a higher seeding and was allowed back in at seed 4 or 5, based on past experience, so this is nothing new.)

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
id say a couple FTD's and 4th OA is pretty damn good. go travis!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have to agree. He did do very well at rim. if you were there at the Super Special stage at the fairgrounds, the last two times he ran that stage... it was Pastrana, and Lagemann, running side by side. it was quite a site to see two blue camo cars racing!

·
Registered
946 Posts
>id say a couple FTD's and 4th OA is pretty damn good. go
>travis!

Yep. All the "special treatment" remarks made in this thread and others make those people look pretty silly (and Mothers day being yesterday, I'll take my Mothers advice and be polite).

How long is it going to take for people to figure out that excellent bike riders have NO problem switching over to Stage rallying. This is only about the 10th example I've personally seen in the last 10 years. If you have no fear without a cage around you, and understand how to get the most traction available with two wheels, that qualifies you to know how to do the same thing with 4 wheels. Travis may take an overall win by the end of the year. I'll say it here first.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>id say a couple FTD's and 4th OA is pretty damn good. go
>>travis!
>
>Yep. All the "special treatment" remarks made in this thread
>and others make those people look pretty silly (and Mothers
>day being yesterday, I'll take my Mothers advice and be
>polite).

Actually I can understand the skwakin' just because SCCA has seemed to make 'special arrangements' for all sorts of people in recent memory, while at the same time enthusiastic club level guys have been squeezed out of many mainly Eastern events.
I don't think anybody was suggesting that Travis would have the speed.
>
>How long is it going to take for people to figure out that
>excellent bike riders have NO problem switching over to
>Stage rallying.
Well moto-cross, desert,etc maybe. I really don't think roadracers, most successful ones being about 5'4" 112 lbs in their gear would make the transition as well.

This is only about the 10th example I've
>personally seen in the last 10 years.

Let's list them:
Larry Roessler, instant top results including stage wins with hodge podge tires!
Travis in his first full length gravel event.

Locally we have Vance Walker who spanks the entire field in the NW, inarguably harder competition than National series regulars, in the ol' Mazdog RX3 built by Paul Morgan and Dave Clark with a pi;le of JVAB parts 10 years before!

There's Eric Eaton, whose drive at the same event Rim 2000 is easily a more impressive feat than Travis' result, after all Travis has a current, no doubt fresh car, a car on par with those around him and a co driver with a fair amount of recent experience.
Eric Eaton had the biggest piece of ca-ca Maz-dog 323 with a wheelbase differing over 1.5" side to side and open differentials and a very brave Kenny Ahlqvist, but Eric and Kenny had just 4 events under their belts and Eric was on a solid 2nd on the final 5 stages when a puncture drops them to 8th and then Eric drives that junk car up to a close 4th, no argument if the event was longer he would have mozed back to 2nd. On tires pretty beat _even by my standards_.

I would dare not say anything abpout any results I have had in the past, according to a very angry man I have only managed to dnf 3 or 4 events ever. According to his very thurough internet search.
According to others I have had some fair success with usually the smallest motor and the crappiest tires and the most laughing and giggling.

If you have no fear
>without a cage around you,

Trevor, trust me, it is not a matter of fear. What all of us moto-cross idiots (and I can call all moto-cross guys idiots BECAUSE I SPENT ENOUGH TIME CRASHING MY HEAD INTO THE GROUND on Moto-cross tracks all over Western Europe (but no Super-cross, I have my limits!)
do or did is a matter of practice and training, no inborn nonsense, and no 'just NoFear', it's skill, learned in small doses and LOTS of practice. For years I was on the nbike 4 days a week,often 3 to 5 hours at a whack and then physical taining 2 times, injuries permitting, of course.

and understand how to get the
>most traction available with two wheels, that qualifies you
>to know how to do the same thing with 4 wheels.
Well Trevor what makes it easy is that the cars performance is relatively pokey and slow compared even to the ancient moto-cross bikes I rode in the mid 70s. We had in our 250cc bikes a dyno'ed 32 real rear wheel bhp in 1975 and that impoved steadily, and I have no idea what the 390 and 430cc motors made but they had performance well in excess of modern rally cars.
And that's just in the motor, the transmissions and final drive are _exactly_ right for the job at hand, the brakes post 1979 or so are all excellent.
In short, if you are reasonably competent on really very fast reponsive light, short geared moto-cross bike on ground far worse chewed up than gravel roads we use in the US, then comparatively, sitting back and driving a car, essentially slower, but stable, then it is _relatively_ easy job.

Travis may
>take an overall win by the end of the year. I'll say it here
>first.
All that being said, Travis , and the other bike guys shows really just how thin the competition is if they can jump right past virtually the whole of the US so called "pro" field in their first real outing, people with far more 'experience at the (so called) top'.
In other words:
We're still all Bozos on this bus.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>All that being said, Travis , and the other bike guys shows
>really just how thin the competition is if they can jump
>right past virtually the whole of the US so called "pro"
>field in their first real outing, people with far more
>'experience at the (so called) top'.
>In other words:
>We're still all Bozos on this bus.
>
>
>John Vanlandingham
>Seattle, WA. 98168
>
>Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

John, I don't think the talent is as "thin" as you think. It's one thing to go to a rough and tumble relatively slow event like RIM, where half the significant competition breaks out, and be quick. Let's see what happens when he's forced to hold it wide open down a Pennsylvania mountain road at 110 mph sideways inches from some huge friggin' trees. I'm not saying he can't or won't do it, cuz he probably can. All I'm saying is that I'll believe it when I see it. Remember, the guys at the "top" (and no, I don't consider myself one of them) are fast everywhere, not just on snow or tight rough events. It's a whole different ballgame when you put the car in fifth and hold it to the boards. Travis most likely has what it takes, but we won't know for sure until he puts a few more different events under his belt. Good luck Dude, we're pulling for ya.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.