Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: A number of changes effecting car prep are appearing in the the scrutineering section. I am not tracking all of these changes, but am trying to pick up a few class specific changes from the scrutineering section.

One thing I missed earlier in Rallytruck: SUV's are first mentioned in the 1997 rules. (AND, this is taking a long time and I am getting tired, so expect mistakes in this installment!)

1998 - Rulebook size changed to newer, larger size format. ANY NATIONAL car had to be listed in the NADA Official USed Car Guide. No Euro cars, thank you!
Open - No change, except twin turbo restrictors defined.
Rallytruck - Officially fully incoroprated under P rules. The age limits for Rallytruck disappear again! No other changes.
Production - No significant changes.
G2 - No change
G5 - Restrictor definition for dual turbo cars is added.

1999 - FIA WRC and Group A cars may be approved on a case-by-case basis. ANY car with a Pro Logbook issued prior to Jan 1, 1999, can continue in Club Open class (like old Group 5 cars?)
Open - No changes.
Rallytruck - No changes.
Production - No changes.
G2 - The requirement to retain original drive configuration re-appears. Minimum wieght is dropped.
G5 - The requirement to retain original drive configuration appears. Turbo restrictors are dropped for G5.
Club Rally Classes (was Divisional) - Now are fully aligned with the US National Classes, with the same designations, and with both P and PGT classes.

Open - The phrase restricting cars to street licensed, closed-bodied, 4 wheel cars is moved to a new, genreal Vehicle Eligibility setion.
Rallytruck - No changes. Coilover suspension language not added to Rallytruck class.
Production - Major change: Coilover and DMS style suspensions now allowed. Wheel diameter is free up to the value allowed in the manual.
G2 - No changes.
G5 - No changes.
Group A and Group N - Added for both Pro and Club. Added as seprate classes for Pro; would compete in Open in Club events.

2001 - Separate appendices are dropped and all class rules are combined in one section.
Open - No changes.
Rallytruck - No changes. Some mistakes made in the section numbering that made the "Supplementary Accessories" section look like it applied only to 4WD trucks.
Production - No changes that I can find.
G2 - No changes.
G5 - No changes.
Group A and N - per FIA.
Historic - Class added.

2002 - The unpopular age limits for cars in Pro events is introduced:
- 20 years for Open, G2, G5
- 12 years for P and PGT
- FIA limits for FIA cars
- No age limit for H
'Pump gas' required for fuel. Restrictions on wings added.
Open - Appendix O re-appears. This adds minimum weights for Open cars, and technology restrictions on electronic controls and the like. Sequential gearboxes excluded. "Unmodified" GN components are allowed with restrictions. Restrictor length changed from 5mm to 3mm.
Rallytruck - No changes, but the wording for "supplementary accessories still appears to apply only to 4WD (it should apply to all Rally trucks).
Production - Options installed at ports (of entry) are also made illegal. Catalytic converters required. Roof vents made illegal. 32 mm restrictors required for PGT.
G2 - No changes.
G5 - No changes.
Group A - Per FIA
Group N - Catalytic converters (meets Federal emissions standards)required for GN.
Historic - Not researched.

2003 - Another major re-org in the class rules section. Catalytics required for all cars in SCCA. All classes alinged for both Pro and Club; Group N cars stil compete as Open in Club Rally. WRC and Group A cars can't compete for points.
Open - A few changes in Open technology allowances.
Rallytruck - A whole section on allowed 4WD mods and Supplementary Accessories was lost! Catalytic required.
Production - Hood pins only are allowed; stock hood latch systems are not allowed anymore.
G2 - No changes, except for catalytics.
G5 - No changes, except for catalytics.
GN - Still FIA.
Historic - Not researched.

2004 - Since this got messed up, I am not going to the effort to work this over, except to note one correction that made it into the printed book:
Rallytruck - The section for 4WD mods was restored; the section on Supplementary Accessories still is not numbered right and appears to only apply to 4WD; refer back to the 2000 rule book, where it was right.

Phew! Nuff!

I'll apologize in advance for mistakes and omissions. This was not meant to be perfect or all-encompassing. Let me know of anything major.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Boy, Mark. You've got way to much time on your hands!}>
Seriously, I hope this means there was little work to do on the car following Maine, & all is ready for OFPR.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As I was entering my 10th hour of reading and writing, I thought to myself that I shuda been using this time for developing my radio business, to make more money for more rally cars. But, this falls in to the 'labor of love' category, and it was very interesting to go back over all the rules and learn the progressions. Just wish I could have located my old 70's NARRA rulebook to throw in for perspective!

The Starion is good after MFR; no OFPR for us. I've been hogging the driver's seat all year, so it's time to get Duffy some seat time at BRS. I have developed an odd urge to do LSPR; my son has never been there, and it's neat country.

Regards, and hope you enjoyed the rules notes,
Mark B.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mark B.,

Terrific. What a great historical perspective on Performance Rallying in the USA. I've already copied all 3 segments and saved them as a Word file for future reference. Your outline answers many questions and will save many of us the embarrasment of memory lapses as time goes forward.

Great stuff! And worth every minute of the many hours you spent on it.

Thanks again,

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Mark, and all others.
>
>Do P cars currently have no age limits? In other words, old
>cars are go?

I believe that is now correct.

>If so, are catalysts required for these old cars? How the
>heck would that work???

"If a car was legally registered before a Catalytic Converter was required in the USA, then the competitor may supply documentation to this effect and obtain a waiver from the SCCA Technical Dept."

Adrian

·
Shifting and drifting
502 Posts
>
>"If a car was legally registered before a Catalytic
>Converter was required in the USA, then the competitor may
>supply documentation to this effect and obtain a waiver from
>the SCCA Technical Dept."
>
>Adrian

Oh no!!!! Not another vague rule! I am not sure catalytic converter are "required in the USA", just as long as emissions are met for the year that the vehicle manufactured for. For example, I do not believe deisel vehicles need a cat.

But, to the point, If a car, say 1977, used technology that did not need a catalyst, is that all I have to do is show documentation that this car was designed to be cat-free in 1977? Using the service manual, or a photograph of the underhood emissions label???

Thanks, Steve, trying to get back in it from the "P" and Historic perspective.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The intent is for you to be able to run without a cat if the car originally did not have one. I would think a tech manual on hand at scrutineering would have the info you need for proof.

If you do need a cat on your late 70's car, then you are probably better off. All of the old systems I can recall used an air injection system (often an air pump) to put air in the exhaust to make the cat work properly. The newer perf cats seem to not need air.

Regards,
Mark B

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>
>>
>>"If a car was legally registered before a Catalytic
>>Converter was required in the USA, then the competitor may
>>supply documentation to this effect and obtain a waiver from
>>the SCCA Technical Dept."
>>
>>Adrian
>
>
>Oh no!!!! Not another vague rule! I am not sure catalytic
>converter are "required in the USA", just as long as
>emissions are met for the year that the vehicle manufactured
>for. For example, I do not believe deisel vehicles need a
>cat.
>
>But, to the point, If a car, say 1977, used technology that
>did not need a catalyst, is that all I have to do is show
>documentation that this car was designed to be cat-free in
>1977? Using the service manual, or a photograph of the
>underhood emissions label???

My guess is that the intent of the rule is that cars that were sold (and legal) in the USA without a cat don't need to add one, but you should check with Doug.

Adrian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts