Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
So, where did the tech bulletins dissapear to?
Edit - found some of them under SCCA Garage...

Hopefully the new format will grow on me.

Adrian

·
Registered
483 Posts
Oh crap, they have a forum. Specialstage is DOOMED!
:+

Seriously , the site looks nice. Hope they get the rulebook and such online soon. its just gonna take a little getting used to again.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It been discussed on the RoadRally list for a few hours. This was my critique.

The new SCCA web site is TERRIBLE!

1. It doesn't work right(at all) with old browsers (Netscape 3.04) that many still have and prefer.

2. It loads very slow on a current browser (Netscape 7.1) with a fast
dialup connection. Probably because they went for flashy graphics over
substance, and those graphics add nothing to usefulness of the web
site, somebody wasted a lot of time.

3. There's no Table Of Contents or site map page.

4. There's no Search function.

5. Can't find FasTrack files anywhere. (No, finally found it. It was
hidden under something called "SCCA Garage". FasTrack should be linked
with a button labeled FasTrack!)

6. Old book marked locations (TOC, Fastrack, etc.) should have been
redirected to the new locations, not deleted.

7. All Rally stuff is lumped in together. RoadRally needs to be split
from Performance Rally at the top menu buttons.

8. None of the above problems can be fixed at the RoadRally level of web editing.

Bill Jonesi

·
Registered
104 Posts
>1. It doesn't work right(at all) with old browsers (Netscape 3.04) that many still have and prefer.

You're kidding about this, right? ;-)

·
Registered
253 Posts
>>1. It doesn't work right(at all) with old browsers (Netscape 3.04) that many still have and prefer.
>
>You're kidding about this, right? ;-)

No I'm quite serious about it. As long as Netscape 3 has one important feature (Split Vertical in email & news readers) that no later one does, I'm not changing! I'm also well protected from viruses that exploit all the holes in later browsers.

Bill

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
After all those compliments you've thrown at the new site, I think I'll stay away! Thanks for the warning.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Ummm, did SCCA give up on posting SpeedFactors and are just leaving it up to Rally America to get the job done now?

Kent Gardam

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
I find this new site WAY better than before...much easier to navigate. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for technical details and specific items "that were there before". The site ties in well with SCCA's marketing (TV ads, etc.).

For the casual race fan who wants to find out how to get into racing, this site is pretty good. Things like contingency plans for rally, etc are WAY better laid out and clearer than before.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I find this new site WAY better than before...much easier to
>navigate. Maybe it's because I'm not looking for technical
>details and specific items "that were there before". The
>site ties in well with SCCA's marketing (TV ads, etc.).
>
>For the casual race fan who wants to find out how to get
>into racing, this site is pretty good. Things like
>contingency plans for rally, etc are WAY better laid out and
>clearer than before.

Actually, if you want to get into racing, and click on the Get Involved link, all that is offered appears to be Race Marshal/Official positions... I suppose in that way it does tie in with the TV ads...

True, it is nice and flashy for the casual observer - now, can we have a site that provides the technical support to the racers that the old one did? Things like ALL the tech bulletins (at least those that are still applicable - for instance, the one that tells you how to order stage notes), the rulebook (although this might have to wait until the fixes are finished), SpeedFactors (since despite the existance of RallyAmerica, the official list should be on the SCCA website, not there)...

If you are going to re-design a website, don't remove the parts that people might actually use.

I'm impressed how the tabs for the types of rally are in bottom up order - RallyCross, ClubRally, ProRally, RoadRally ;-) Aren't the first three PerformanceRally and the last treated separately? I'm also impressed that RallyCross doesn't get a description in the tabs on the right - and did anyone proof-read the content of those tabs...

Adrian

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sue Robinson has said to me that some things will change on the website....they are changing and updating it again...so don't be so critical at the first glance. Give them a chance to work it out. Sue is working hard on this....

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
967 Posts
Inconsistent links on the ClubRally list. Some links point to a generic region site (not a specific rally), some links point to a specific rally, some point to dead links. Hard to believe this is a "professional" site, I didn't know anybody was still developing with classic asp.

Empower the volunteer regional webmasters to update the database that's driving this page and this problem would be quickly fixed.

Jim Culp

1 - 18 of 18 Posts