Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else think that the press releases were better when Kurt did them? I guess I'm old school enough though that I still miss Andy.

I think the new guy is so busy trying to be cute that he's forgetting to just report the story accurately. Perhaps we should make him work a rally or two so he could understand the sport a little better...

Flame on.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
We all miss Andy- one of the perks about going back to STPR is seeing him.
Actually I think Curtis did most of the work last year (when there were two more people at each rally on staff).

Personally I think Curtis is doing a great job- the guy is EVERYWHERE at each rally - heck, at Rim I turned around and there he was, strapped into seat next to Mark Utecht waiting to go for an E-ticket ride on the press stage.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
I think Curtis is trying to do the best job he can. Report on the event in a generally approchable manner to help make it non rally fan friendly.

If you have gripes with things not making it just find Curtis, I can't see him intentionally leaving something note worthy out, but I could see him just plain old not being able to get to every one.

Its a different ProRally, its a different style of press release, don't like content help provide the content.

My $.02....

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
And don't forget that Curtis was at the ClubRally National Championship working just as hard (and getting just as little sleep) as I have seen at ProRallys. The discussions I've had with Curtis indicates he's knowledgeable enough about rallies and he's certainly a fan of the sport, but no one is perfect.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Yes, He was about the last one off the mountain for the Press Stage at Rim 04. Trying to get all of the story that he can get. He tries to be everywhere that he can be to get any updates of that rally, but he is a human being and we are bound to probably make mistakes...what he needs is more help...just having one person do that job at a main event is very hard. Why don't some of you, who are good at press releases come and help him or offer your services?

My 1 cents worth.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
45 Posts
RE: missed the point

Hi all

Trevor only compared writing skills not work ethic...
looking tired at the end of a weekend has nothing to do with
writing a good release...

I dont feel a release should detail how badly someone got beat..
as in some portions of the Maine release

winning by a comfortable margin..
sounds better than "blew the competetion away"
and if you feel the need to represent the big margins..

do it in every class..

nd

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
So he's always there, so what?

The important question is this; Does his work add value to the ProRally series equal to the salary and travel expenses charged to the Performance Rally Department? If so, GREAT! If not, then maybe we could use that money better in other ways.

I think Curtis is a nice guy, I know he's out there in the middle of everything at the events not hiding out in the hotel like Kurt would do when times were tough, but I seriously question the value.

We all complain that the sanction fees, entry fees and every other fee is too high, and that the organizers don't get enough for their money... well if we cut back on some things that we don't feel are as important, then we'd have some more money for things we value.

Oh, and I liked Andy's writing best, too!

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Entry & Start Lists

The info available on online entry lists has been lacking. Maine Forest's last update to the entry list was 10 days prior to the start of the rally. Rally America site only included the top several cars for a start list. Following the rally online was difficult.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
RE: Entry & Start Lists

>The info available on online entry lists has been lacking.
>Maine Forest's last update to the entry list was 10 days
>prior to the start of the rally. Rally America site only
>included the top several cars for a start list. Following
>the rally online was difficult.

I'm working on an idea for this. I've got all sorts of ideas, but no talent to do it. :-(

Pete

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

I understand Trevor's concern and the point well taken. Maybe somebody needs to help him in that department. As I said maybe some of you who are good at press releases...offer your services. Not everyone can do that job and do it justice.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
901 Posts

Okay, I'm not slamming Curtis here. I know that at any given event, there's a lot going on.

But c'mon, all the class winners are there in the final results, and there's no excuse for completely ignoring an entire class while doing the supposedly unbiased press releases for the SCCA.

Yes, I am talking about Production. It's especially galling when Curtis chats up the P-class competitors off and on all weekend, and then fails to include anything in any press releases; not even "Jimbo and Bud in their Chevy POS finished first in the Production class."

It adds to the conspiracy theory that SCCA would love to kill Production... that and the whole trophy debacle for the national Production class at Maine. Don't even get me started on that.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

>Hi all
>
>Trevor only compared writing skills not work ethic...
>looking tired at the end of a weekend has nothing to do with
>writing a good release...
>
>I dont feel a release should detail how badly someone got
>beat..
>as in some portions of the Maine release
>
>winning by a comfortable margin..
>sounds better than "blew the competetion away"
>and if you feel the need to represent the big margins..
>
>do it in every class..
>
>nd

If my above comment was too brief, sorry, but this is exactly the type of thing I'm ultimately talking about.

And I'm sure he is working much harder than Kurt did. I just think his writing leaves a bit to be desired, but perhaps I'm in a small minority.

I think the old days with Andy and the National series steward worked fine, and entry fees were 1/2 what they are now. I don't think the sport is big enough to justify the sea of yellow shirts. It might have been getting close the last 2 years, but with the Manufacturers gone, its flat overkill, and the competitors are paying for a lot of it out of their own pockets.

·
Registered
672 Posts

I was pleased with the job Curtis did for us at Rim. He worked late into the night making sure he had the last minute scores and information before he finished his stories. The coverage was excellent and he is a talented and likable young man. He was also a big help coordinating the press and media at our press stage. I think he's more than worth the money.

And no for the "but".

I'm not sure his entire cost should be borne by the ProRally Department. He is also an excellent representative for the SCCA as an organization. Since we were given the word by the Board of Directors that building memberships is an SCCA priority, I think at least 50% of these costs should be considered general SCCA promotional costs and not borne by the ProRally Departments already strained budget.

BTW, Andy is the master. No doubt about it.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
it could be worse...

Here's some trash that showed up in my mail:

Tony Dowe and Paul Fix Team Up For The Motorock Trans-Am Series

Paul Fix has signed, Tony Dowe as Crew Chief and Chief Engineer for the #77 Ford Mustang Cobra. ?Tony's performance and abilities are highly regarded, his expertise will help the team refine and reach their goals in professional motorsports?, stated Paul Fix, driver.

Internationally renowned engineer Tony Dowe will be overseeing car preparation and race strategy. The combination of Paul and Tony assures that the #77 Mustang Cobra will be a competitive effort. ?I have worked with Paul in a competitive manner, and will enjoy helping him succeed,? stated Dowe.

Over the years, Tony Dowe has assisted numerous drivers to the highest levels of professional motorsports. His experience encompasses extensive work history both in the United States and Europe. Tony has served as the Director of Arrows Grand Prix and Ligier Formula One teams in the World Championship F1 Series as well as Managing Director of both the TWR Jaguar and Panoz Motorsports programs here in the United States.

Paul previously raced in T/A from 2000-2002 seasons and finished 11th in points - 2002. Paul is mentally and physically preparing for the balance of the season. An aggressive crew and sponsors will help Paul return with a strong effort.

In previous years, Paul has earned five top-10 finishes, 3 MSD Hard Charger awards and the Westward Tools Tough Team award. Road America is one of Paul's favorite tracks; it's the longest and where he can achieve the highest speeds.

New sponsors for the balance of the 2004 season will be announced next week.

Currently Fix Motorsports is supported by: Classic Tube ?Prebent Tubing Products?, Mothers Waxes & Polishes and product support from Mechanix Wear.

Lauren Fix, Team Manager
Paul Fix II, Driver
www.paulfix.com
Fix Motorsports LLC.
eFax Number: 501-639-9360

A team in need of a pro writer.
---
One problem with getting results out there is the deadline. There's no time to refine or sometimes, even re-read what you've done. To get the news out, it still needs to be news and any delay makes publishing that release less of a sure thing.
A tough job.
rz

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
From Garret re: SCCA Media

Rally Community,

Please bear with me as this is my first post to Special Stage so I apologize if I am not familiar with the finer points of ?flaming?. Regardless, I felt it was necessary to participate in this particular thread because Curtis deserves better. I couldn?t wait for my official account to be authenticated so I asked that John post this on my behalf.

First, Curtis works his butt off on Rally stuff whether he is in the office or at an event. More importantly, he truly cares about the sport and the people involved. In the two years since he became involved he has committed himself to getting to know the sport. As others on the this forum have accurately noted, he works extremely hard to make sure the event releases get out and on the web in a timely manner and does his best to make sure they are as accurate as possible. Has he made a few mistakes? Sure. If there is anyone reading this that has not make any mistakes in their career please identify yourself on this forum. Yes he forgot to include production results once or twice. It was not intentional. To his credit, Curtis has acknowledged that he made a few mistakes and made a conscious effort not to repeat them. In the case of the Production omission, he modified his release and reissued it to the media so that the information was available. The majority of media would likely not have realized that he made a mistake, but he did what was right and notified them of his mistake. What more can anyone ask?

I won?t debate the merits of Curtis? writing style. That?s subjective. Personally, I don?t particularly care for Ernest Hemmingway?s writing style but that doesn?t mean he wasn?t and effective writer.

His effectiveness at generating exposure for Performance Rally is something I will defend. Curtis has done 100% of the media notes and press releases since RIM last season and his work has generated results. By way of example, a quick search of the Speedtv.com archives reveal that this year alone they have picked up 22 of his releases on ProRally and 4 releases on the ClubRally National Championship. By comparison, in that same time frame WRC had had 24 releases picked up. In addition, the material that Curtis puts out is the source of a great deal of content for other web sites (Special Stage included). In time, the volume of positive information will make it easier to convince editorial writes that the series warrants more extensive feature coverage. Plus, the MTC information packet that he compiles and distributes prior to every event is the most comprehensive source of media information that has been compiled since Andy Shupack. If you haven?t checked it out you can download it from the event page web page for any ProRally event this season.

Speaking on Andy, I cannot argue one bit that he is one of the best in the business. Andy is a real professional and has been at the PR game for more than 20 years. I have worked with Andy on a number of events and have the pleasure of talking with him regularly throughout the season in the media center at ALMS events. There are a lot of people in the business who wish they could be as good. That is why Andy works for one of the largest PR firms in the World and is the lead PR person on the Porsche North America racing program handling their ALMS effort and lots of other projects. It would be great if Andy could work on the ProRally Championship again. He still loves rally and follows the series. It is great when he can take time off to volunteer or freelance for an event like he did at RIM last year. Unfortunately, those occasions are few and far between, especially since a number of ProRally events coincided with ALMS weekend. The reality is that we, the series or individual events, could not afford to pay Hill & Knowlton for his services.

I can also shed some light on the topic of how much Performance Rally should and does pay for these services, per Ray?s point earlier in the tread. Curtis?s salary is spread across all SCCA departments based on membership percentage. You know those little boxes on your membership application or renewal form that ask you to indicate your primary interest. Those boxes make sure your dues get allocated to the right department. So if you check the Pro Rally box your dues get allocated to the Performance Rally department. That also represents the percentage of Curtis? salary that the department is responsible for. Currently, approximately 11% of SCCA members designate Rally as their primary interest which means the Performance Rally department covers 11% of Curtis? salary. Frankly, Curtis probably deserves to make more than he does because 11% of his salary wouldn?t buy enough Pirellis to last two events. It is a tremendous value.

The bottom line is that Curtis should be commended for the work that he has done; not trashed. I very much appreciate those people who recognize how hard Curtis works and that his job is not easy.

Keep up the good work Curtis.

Garret D. Mudd
VP Marketing
Sports Car Club of America

Long Live Pro Rally
(I don?t speak French)

(JD's edit to fix spelling of Garret's name in subject line)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts

>
>winning by a comfortable margin..
>sounds better than "blew the competetion away"
>and if you feel the need to represent the big margins..
>
Thanks for pointing this one out Niall. The words about Doug's margin over us did sting a bit, but, I'm not going to complain much about finsihing 2nd to Doug; I respect him too much.

Maybe Curtis needs to spend some of his time to get to know everyone a bit better. I know he never came by to see us at MFR. It might mean more to him to know we are running a true stock based suspension (no rally struts), an ancient mechanical Halda, and manage to go decently quick without stage notes, for instances. I am sure there are many other competitors who do well who have interesting aspects to their efforts.

To help him out, we should set some homework assignments for him; I think he should start with the complete history of winners from Ojibwe..... :)

Regards,
Mark B

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
RE: From Garret re: SCCA Media

>
>Please bear with me as this is my first post to Special
>Stage so I apologize if I am not familiar with the finer
>points of ?flaming?.

Garrett, I believe you underestimate your abilities in the "flambeau" department. Welcome to the forum; don't be a stranger.

Regards,
Mark B. :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
RE: From Garret re: SCCA Media

Ah, yes, Curtis. Never met him, myself, but I did hear a lot about him. Mostly from the "Hard-Carded" Press, complaining about him handing out "Business Card Press Passes" to just about anyone that asked him.
But, that's just what I've heard. I'd have to see it for myself before I REALLY complain...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.