Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
which left?
1,621 Posts
For the sake of having the information here:

Begin Quote ---------------------------------------------
TOPEKA, Kan. (Oct. 5, 2004) ? Sports Car Club of America?s Board of Directors voted Monday to discontinue the sanction of its current stage-based rally format, including the ProRally and ClubRally Championships, beginning January 1, 2005 due to increasing risk exposure.

?This was a difficult and unfortunate decision to make,? SCCA Board of Directors Chairman Gary Pitts said. ?However, from an insurance standpoint, the stage rally format has gotten to the point where it puts the entire Club, its activities and entities under an undue risk.?

?We have many SCCA members whose interests lie in rally,? SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson said. ?It is my intent to allow these members the opportunity to rally in the future and continue to access the sport. I am confident we can accomplish this task.

?We are in negotiations to transition SCCA?s elements of the stage-based rally activity to Rally America, a longtime partner and participant in the sport of rally.?

Unaffected by the decision are SCCA?s RallyCross and RoadRally programs.

SCCA began its special stage-format ProRally Championship in 1973. Since then, the ProRally Championship Presented by Hot Wheels has been regarded as the top domestic rally series. The 2004 Championship has one round remaining, Lake Superior ProRally (LSPR), which will run as scheduled Oct. 22 in Houghton, Mich.

End Quote -------------------------------------------------------

--
Mark Holden
KC0SUW

·
Registered
352 Posts
Wow--I think that was a 30-second turnaround from PR to posting. Still, I'm interested in specific views regarding this section of the release:

We are in negotiations to transition SCCA?s elements of the stage-based rally activity to Rally America, a longtime partner and participant in the sport of rally.

Ryan Douthit, Publisher
Subiesport Magazine
http://www.subiesport.com

·
Registered
408 Posts
We are in negotiations to transition SCCA?s elements of the stage-based rally activity to Rally America, a longtime partner and participant in the sport of rally.

Anyone with Rally America care to comment on that one?

Will SCCA be offering license refunds to those of us that just renewed?

All that aside, this is quite unfortunate. The SCCA has been a supported of rally for a very long time. I'm sorry to see this partnership disolve.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Again?
OK so is the sky falling NOW?
It may very well be falling but rally will go on.
Perhaps NOW rally can be headed up by RALLIESTS who care about RALLY rather then by everyone else who views us as being the ugly stepchild as has sooooo obviously been the case for sooooo many years.
How many times have we heard about how SCCA is 'about to drop rally?'
So be it!!
I am short of funds but not lacking for enthusiasm for a NO BS new direction in rally.
How can I help?

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Now, lets take the ball and run with it. Where do we begin? Rally America? What can we do to help?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Jim:

Hold up there. I would venture to guess those of us competing in LSPR need to hold on to our memberships until October 24th. Of course Stacy and I will be canceling our membership after that.

-Dave & Stacy

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Oh my God, you killed Rally! You bastards.

Actually Finbar O'neil killed rally, but that's another story....

Calm down kiddies. I know this is a lot, but I'm pretty sure RA saw this coming. The folks at RA are good people, with the sport in mind. THIS WILL BE GOOD THING, but give it some time to shake out. We've got A LONG time until next season.

BTW, expiration of my SCCA membership is 01/05. No more crappy magazine every month, YEAH!

And congrats to Pat Richard, the LAST SCCA ProRally Champion!

Ahh... you know suddenly the sky seems brighter, the air cleaner, the birds chirpier, and the women prettier.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
In my experience, change is usually good, but sometimes painful.

We went through this in Canada and the result was CARS which is essentially rallying controlled by rallyists.

I would view this as an opportunity for all stage rallying in the USA to be consolidated under one roof.

Don't let past rivalries or petty egos get in the way of accomplishing something very positive.

Doug Woods

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
There are ways to get an SCCA legal cage certified for use in Canada. See the Canadian forums. But I wouldn't necessarily expect CARS to mimic SCCA's mistakes by randomly waiving regulations as they see fit.

Kent Gardam "See you up North, eh?"

1 - 20 of 70 Posts