Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OFF-ROAD SPORT WILL FOCUS ON CLOSED COURSE EVENTS

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Dec. 10, 2004) ? Sports Car Club of America, Inc. announced today at the Performance Racing Industry show a new Closed Course Rally Program and Rally Department, combining elements of its former stage rally programs with elements of autocross and road racing.

?SCCA remains focused on providing a new direction for the future of the sport of rally,? SCCA President and CEO Steve Johnson said. ?Although the environment for traditional stage rally is changing dramatically throughout North America, SCCA is committed to making rally-type competition more accessible for spectators and participants alike.?

?Part of SCCA?s heritage has been its rally programs, in non-speed events such as Time Speed Distance RoadRallies, as well as closed course RallyCrosses and stage-based high-speed Performance Stage Rallies,? the five-page document detailing the program says. ?As with most programs that span decades, development and adaptation is required to remain relevant with the times. In 2004, an important part of rally met a crossroads, resulting in the cancellation of one type of program, and now the creation of another.

?To better serve its members and grow the sport of rally in the United States, SCCA has crafted an all-new program to bring many of the elements making stage rally exciting together with elements of its other forms of competition. Most importantly, it is structured to address many of the insurance and liability concerns from the previous program.

?Sports Car Club of America is pleased to introduce its all-new Closed Course Rally program. Overseen by the SCCA Rally Department, the objective of the closed course rally program is to provide new membership activities that blend the elements of SCCA?s traditional circuit programs (Solo and Race) with the key features of performance rally.?

Closed Course Rally features three distinct programs, including the existing RallyCross competitions, a revised RallySprint program and a new CircuitRally program. The three programs are targeted at a number of participants, including recreational rallyists in street cars, hobby rallyists in multi-purpose cars (street and rally), sportsman rallyists in fully-prepared rally cars and professional and semi-professional rallyists in fully-prepared rally cars.

Beginning in 2005, RallyCross, which is an off-road Solo (autocross), will hold approximately 125 events nationwide, with a focus on consistent operations, procedures and rules.

RallySprint combines elements of performance rally with the Performance Driving Clinic program and Club Racing. Events will be held on circuits in a primarily off-road setting. Events can either be of the lapping format, where participants navigate their cars on the course with others, or single-car events similar to hill climbs depending on the venue. Speeds will be limited in these events, as will the passing areas for a multi-car format to limit the risk of car-to-car incidents. Competition is based on fastest times turned by drivers around the course. There will be approximately 10 Regional RallySprint in 2005, expanding to 50 events by 2007.

CircuitRally is new to SCCA, combining road racing and performance rally. CircuitRally events will be held at existing motorsports facilities and feature wheel-to-wheel heat-based sprint races on mostly non-paved surfaces. Presently, there are several organizations holding similar events with motorcycles, ATVs and trucks. These organizations have thrived since adopting a controlled environment model as opposed to that of a wilderness adventure. CircuitRally fills a need for events featuring automobiles.

CircuitRally events will largely fill the void left by the cancellation of the SCCA ProRally Championship, as it is geared toward spectators and has a television-friendly format. There will be two CircuitRally events in 2004, expanding to 30 National events by 2007.

With the announcement of the Closed Course Rally program, SCCA also announced the restructuring of its Performance Rally department. Now simply called ?Rally,? the department, headed by Sue Robinson, will also include RoadRally, which was previously managed by SCCA?s Solo department.

For more information regarding the Closed Course Rally program, please see the accompanying program announcement (http://www.scca.com/_filelibrary/File/04-rally-ccrally-intro-v2-1201.pdf), or visit www.scca.com. For additional information, please contact Sue Robinson at 800-770-2055 or [email protected].

·
Registered
239 Posts
My first thought was that I am glad the Robinsons will remain employed!

This could be a great era for rallyists: Stage rallies continue with renewed vigor via NASA and Rally America, single venue events (which I have been pushing for on this board at least) are now a reality.

Now, let's tie in the single venue events (for their relative ease of maketing) with a Stage Event for a rally one-two punch!

Russ

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Since when was traditional rally a "wilderness adventure"? The good old reliable SCCA just never misses a chance to kick us in the nuts, do they.

Hey SCCA, here's a newsflash for you. If people wanna go sit in the stands and watch idiots fling their cars around sideways in a stadium somewhere, they already can. It's called Drifting, and you sanction it. This looks to me like a pathetic attempt to hang on to those 6 or 8 percent of members who checked "rally" in the interest box on the membership form.

On a related note, has anybody signed up for that Bill Gwynne rallyschool the SCCA was pushing?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wonder if Doug Havir had a non-compete clause in his contract with SCCA. Gentlemen, start your engines and lawyers, open your briefcases.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
And there ya go boys and girls.

Spitzner (and his supporters) New World Order PerformanceRally Vision Statement taken to its logical destination. Stadium Racing.

This garbage is not, and will not ever have any remote relationship to what rally was.

Puke!

·
C.m.f.S.
1,268 Posts
The circuit rally sounded fun until I read the wheel to wheel part.

And this part: "Wear and tear on rally vehicles is expected to be less than in a stage rally format, due to the layout of the courses and length of the events. While the CircuitRally format does offer a risk of contact with other competitors, the risk of damage coming from natural objects, such as trees, dirt embankments and large rocks, is far reduced or eliminated."

I'm going to call bullchit on that. On stage you are in control of what you run into, in a way. But with other cars you cant control what they're gonna do. Especially if everyone is sliding around. From what I've seen of european rallyrosses, those cars get pretty torn up. But if it becomes popular, due to its format, there will probably be enough money in it to justify banging into each other a little. Maybe we'll be able to do both circuit rally and stage rally. With the circuit rally sponsors paying for stage rally too...}>

Anyone know where the two proposed circuit rally events might be for next year?

[hr]
[a href="http://myweb.nmu.edu/~cseidel"]Die Fliegen Legion[/a]

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Topeka...

We're working on a national championship, open invitation rallycross event in KS as well. Will be either in the hays or topeka area it looks like.

Who knows, I got swamped by school and had to step back....

Edit to add:
My involvement, or attempt to be involved is limited solely to rallycross...

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Ditto on the no compete thought and if anyone say's it's not competition this line from the release is enough for a lawsuit by RA.

"CircuitRally events will largely fill the void left by the cancellation of the SCCA ProRally Championship"

Bernie

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
rallyschool

It was cancelled.

>
>On a related note, has anybody signed up for that Bill
>Gwynne rallyschool the SCCA was pushing?
>

press on,

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>I wonder if Doug Havir had a non-compete clause in his
>contract with SCCA. Gentlemen, start your engines and
>lawyers, open your briefcases.

I was under the *impression* that there was some type of cooperation agreement between RA and SCCA regarding rally... no?

Is there a link to the contract buying, selling, whatever between RA and SCCA, or is that stuff all secret?

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
"There will be two CircuitRally events in 2004, expanding to 30 National events by 2007."

That's pretty fast work!
Tough to schedule around the holidays.

(sic)
rz

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>I'm going to call bullchit on that.

Right. "Circuit rally" will take a special build of car (assuming the rules will allow). It makes zero sense to take a fully prepped stage machine into wheel to wheel combat on loose surfaces. Especially a unibody machine.

If I were to do this, I would build a machine akin to either a euro rallycrosser or a CORR truck. Tubular subframes to keep crash damage contained to limited parts of the vehicle that are easy to replace and skinned in cheap fiberglass quick release panels.

Of course the question arises...WHY would I do that when CORR already offers a series with good TV, sponsorship potential, PROMOTERS, venues, and (imagine this) prize money.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds like a blast. But it ain't rally and there are already existing, established alternatives (CORR, etc.) that are much more attractive and feasible for any kind of entity that would want to take this seriously.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
If I understood right....

It appears as though CORR is onboard so to speak with this action by the SCCA. Ran in conjunction this would give CORR events another dimension and whats more possibly more spectators. CORR and SCCA CircuitRally being held together, with the special builts having the stage then the CircuitRally racers having the stage. Who knows.

This does offer a dramatically different dynamic from a competitor standpoint, its basically roadracing on dirt with the possibility of jumps now, people drawn to the road race model but like rally now have a home....

For the record I think it would be cool to see but that its very ill timed with questionable motives.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>It appears as though CORR is onboard so to speak with this
>action by the SCCA.

Interesting.

>For the record I think it would be cool to see but that its
>very ill timed with questionable motives.

Agreed.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>
>>It appears as though CORR is onboard so to speak with this
>>action by the SCCA.
>
>Interesting.
>

I can tell you first hand that bringing Subaru or like to a CORR event will not fly well. These folks are for the most part vehomently anti import. They are pretty much the opposite of the Drift crowd. They barely tolerate the Toyota and Nissan trucks. Also, I highly doubt any rally spec vehicle would be able to handle a CORR track. They are relatively rough, with some BIG jumps. They would probably have to route the cars onto some smoother sections, which would bring further jeers from the fans. Finally, why would I spend big $$ building a car that no one wants to see when I can build a truck that people like?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
368 Posts
only thing i see that might be good from this is
being able to get "track time" in your rally car
safely on a closed course.

The reason i like rally is that it is NOT wheel to wheel.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts