Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sport Compact Car has a real nice article on Pat Richard in this months's issue (along with coverage of STPR). There are some excellent quotes, and some good info. I especially like the part were Pat talks about the high level of driving talent in North America (don't start John),and about how the commercial side just hasn't caught up with NA rally yet. He makes it sound like there is really is something there, and that sponsors are missing out on it (and there is, and they are). Great job Pat, and great job SCC!

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

Ps. For those of you who don't subscribe, SCC has more rally coverage than SportsCar. Usually at least one article a month, plus some editorials as well. Easily worth the $25 a year.

·
Registered
803 Posts
hi,

while I did say that, and I beleive it, I also dont disagree with John either. What we are both saying is that there are some genuinely fast drivers in North America (note that I am not being country specific here), and I base that on how hard you have to try in similar machinery vs. other guys. I dont quantify it with numbers but the drivers certainly know who they are. But there is also a large number of drivers in big cars who are not putting on a show, and I agree that this is a problem if it constitutes the majority of the field, or if the number of drivers 'on the limit' for the spectators, television and media is far outnumbered by those who are not. But there is nothing wrong with it, its only if it becomes the majority or a spectator leaves with the impression if that 'is what rally is'.

It becomes an even bigger problem if you have to invite a potential sponsor who is already savvy with motorsports sponsorships (i.e. from other disciplines) and then they come to the rally and think that they might do a better job themselves. This has happened to me.

In any case, it is a problem, and we do have some quick drivers, and more on the limit driving (which can ONLY be garnered by tighter competition/rules) will help the sport. In Canada for example year we have a very very strong top 6 (Erickson, Sprongl, McGeer, Picard, Estage, etc.), but less numerical depth at mid-pack and on the lower end. In the US you have a lot of depth just off the top but I dont think we've seen 5 or 6 drivers who beleive they will (not 'can') win at each event. It's easier when the sponsor and spectator is convinced that there is a big show to watch, and it makes for better tv and photos too. Quality always beats quantity, but both beats everything.

But certainly and without doubt, I can think of several drivers in North America who I personally know are at least as quick as some drivers who are getting fully supported drives in the JWRC and PWRC, and even in the WRC (non-factory) for example.
I just dont want everyone promoting the defeatist we suck so why bother attitude.

Anyways, just explaining myself.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i agree about the talent coment too, dennis.

two years ago when miggins was in US spec cars we had people who could keep up w/him. and when he was in a wrc spec car he placed fifth at rally gb. that would lead me to believe that given comaprable wrc level equipment those same drivers that could keep up with him in US cars could do the same.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>hi,
>
>while I did say that, and I beleive it, I also dont disagree
>with John either. What we are both saying is that there are
>some genuinely fast drivers in North America (note that I am
>not being country specific here), and I base that on how
>hard you have to try in similar machinery vs. other guys.
>Anyways, just explaining myself.

Well, I just didn't want to get into another giant thread argument about NA talent levels. We tend to be very myopic when we look at NA rally, but we have to realize that there is 350 million other people on this continent who don't know ANYTHING about the sport. The point I got from your article, and the point I hope the average SCC reader got, was that here's a guy who's raced the best, knows what he's talking about, and he says NA rally is up there. That tells the average Joe that if he slogs out to an event, he's gonna see some cool ##### like he saw on Speed. Granted, it may only be 5 or ten cars, but they will kick ass, they will look they do on TV, and he won't be dissapointed.

Lotsa rumors going around how NA drivers suck, and rally isn't as good here as it is in Europe. Your comments, in my opinion, helped to dispell that rumor. We may not put on the best show in rally, but it ain't bad, and hopefully now more people will be convinced to check it out.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>i agree about the talent coment too, dennis.
>
>two years ago when miggins was in US spec cars we had people
>who could keep up w/him. and when he was in a wrc spec car
>he placed fifth at rally gb. that would lead me to believe
>that given comaprable wrc level equipment those same drivers
>that could keep up with him in US cars could do the same.

The difference is that there an additional 50 or 75 or 200 guys in EVERY country very nearly as fast who you don't see in the WRC because they might not have a CURRENT CAR, or maybe their budget doesn't cover the entry to such an expensive event as WRC events are in entry, length, hotels time off etc.

So your assumption is just that.
But if you want to believe it, it makes you sleep better, you want to imagine YOU are better basking in the reflected light of some 'star', fine.

Keep smokin' that stuff, if it makes you happy!
Just don't let Ascroft catch you!

John "have I mentioned it tonight? You LOOK Marvelous" Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
803 Posts
> Lotsa rumors going around how NA drivers suck, and rally isn't as > good here as it is in Europe. Your comments, in my opinion, helped > to dispell that rumor. We may not put on the best show in rally,
> but it ain't bad, and hopefully now more people will be convinced > to check it out.

Yes, that was the point, just answering your post...

but tempering it with a dose of John's point (since you mentioned it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts