Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody isn't it great to hear from Satch!!! It's been waaaaaayy
too long,and we are the poorer for it. I'll never forget "ointment or
suppository" Satch help me remember(the years and the beers have been hard on me) didn't you call the Saab the "Hawg of Steel?"
Pat McMahon

·
Registered
570 Posts
>Hey everybody isn't it great to hear from Satch!!! It's been
>waaaaaayy
>too long,and we are the poorer for it. I'll never forget
>"ointment or
>suppository" Satch help me remember(the years and the beers
>have been hard on me) didn't you call the Saab the "Hawg of
>Steel?"
>Pat McMahon

Ah, my early years of Autoweek...

I think I remember the "Piggue of Plastique" and "Shoat del Bondo", as well?... :7

Another memorable article was about his friend, the "the Christian engineer" (?) and flashcube wars and pratical jokes at the workplace! Didn't he write a number of articles about the Al-Can Rallies, as well as his personal column for Autoweek?

How good (or deplorable) are we at getting the details right, Satch? :p

Dave Moore -- Wellsboro resident (STPR), rally worker, sports car ('74 260Z) and rally fanatic, too poor to participate, boo hoo... Blessings to all!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many thanks for this link. For several years the only reason I kept my Autoweek subscription was Satch's columns (and I've been a steady subscriber since 1966). His writings inspired me to give it a try, and over the last 20 years I've sold more than a hundred features to national car magazines, about 30 of which have been on Pikes Peak. I've also been a ProRally codriver inthe "old days", again at least partly due to Satch's writing (and Cam Warren). Lastly, I must throw in with Mad Mike - Bring Back the Bash!

How many of us remember that Satch won the International Imitation Hemingway contest?

Jim Pettengill
BBBBB

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Welcome Satch. Haven't seen anything of you on a rally related forum in quite some time. Maybe you'll post more frequently than once every five years. :p

So will we see you at POR this year? Sept. 9-10

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too agree that we need to hear more from Satch. I lost regular contact with him when I left Alaska 19 years ago. Satch stayed for awhile and then left. From what I heard settled in the Pacific Northwest. Satch is truly one of a kind; his writing was enjoyable and his observations on life were often hilarious. What most people don?t know is that during his Autoweek years he was even more prolific in his writing than most knew. In addition to his rallying, car building and Autoweek writings he penned a weekly column for the Anchorage newspaper on local topics. All of this was in addition to a full time job.

I don?t know if he is doing much writing, but if not, I as well as many others, would urge him to start again. For someone with Satch?s imagination it should not be hard to come up with the topics. Life has changed for all of us over the years, but in the early years many of his topics came from his own life and on many occasions, those around him.

As one who was there for many of his exploits (both successes and disasters), I can assure you that they were true. It was his ability to write about them in such a unique manner set him apart.

If I could have him write stories about the old days, his exploits and observations about rallying Saabs would always be near the top. The Hawg of Steel (Saab 96 that allegedly competed in the Shell 4000) went through so many permutations, rallies, and rebuildings that it would cover a very long article. Although I do not know everything about it, I can tell you that it had a habit of breaking down in the most remote of locations in Canada. If I remember correctly, one time after a rally, he had to leave it behind in a remote community in Canada because it could not be fixed (at that time there were no Saab dealers in Canada. He had to hitch a ride with other rallyists back to Alaska and then drive the 1000 miles back with the part to repair the car and then drive it back to Alaska. There were serious penalties for leaving a car in Canada. Another time (1974-75) we towed the Hog of Steel about 700 miles back to Alaska on the end of a 12 foot nylon tow rope. As one who both drove the tow car and steered the Hawg of Steel I can tell you that once when Satch was driving the tow car and I was steering , the passenger with me, John Fouse, looked at me and asked me, ?if we just covered the last mile in 38 seconds how fast are we going??

The Piggue of Plastique (Saab Sonnett) is another story that can only properly be told by Satch. It was a very unique car and very well prepared. In January of 1975 Satch and I went to the Pek K?Lona Rally in Canada. Satch was doing well until we came to a bridge with no siderails. We slid off the snow covered bridge and ripped the exhaust system off the Piggue of Plastique. The car was barely hanging onto the bridge above the small river, we were lucky to save ourselves and the car. Naturally we DNF?d. I was to drive the car back to Alaska in the middle of the winter with no exhaust and limited heat. Around 0200 I ran off the road into the heavy snow; either I fell asleep or the exhaust got to me, or both). The car?s trip was and finished. I ended up on a bus back to Seattle and the car was put on a truck for delivery to Seattle some time later. Satch was very magnanimous. But that was only the cars first exploit. There were many others.

The exploits of the Alaska Rally Team with Satch as its founder and leader could go on and on. Needless to say the erstwhile members John Fouse, Ross Bordwell, Doc O?Connell, myself and others could write of Satch?s exploits but as you might expect, Satch could do it better.

How about it Satch?

Dan Goodwin

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Dan - you may or not be aware - but Satch is the "editor" of Rondel. I say "editor", because I'm sure he has found more interesting things to do with cars of the Bavarian persuasion than his title realistically allows. If I recall correctly, he ran the most recent version of the AlCan as a member of the BMW team. X5s I think they were. His coverage of the event was good fun as usual - but I think Rusty Link wrote a more detailed story of their adventure.

I'm sure Satch is off writing other things as well - but Rondel is my only trace of him in recent years.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
672 Posts
Dan Goodwin?

Not THE Dan Goodwin. Oh my gosh, Dan Goodwin and Scott Harvey in one discussion thread. This does my heart good!

We'd love to see you behind the wheel of a rally car again Dan.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
Registered
901 Posts
>
>I'm sure Satch is off writing other things as well - but
>Rondel is my only trace of him in recent years.
>

He's done the last several years' worth of Thunderbirds, and since he moved down to Portland... was it last year? I think so... he's been really busy with our local TSD rally scene. It's been so great to see him out here doing what he does best: entertain the rest of us with his great stories at the finish banquets! :)

I won't say that getting lost is what he does best :) (Honest, Satch, all's you had to do was read the supps Dad gave you before the event) :)... but he does write a good story after all's said and done. :) So once a month, at least, the Geargrinders list gets a Satchapalooza write-up that sends us all laughing our fool heads off. :)

He's my favorite rally uncle! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Visiting this forum is like going back 25 to 30 years. Many old friends and acquaintances seem to be lurking here, not having been unable to break their addiction to, or their interest in rallying.

Ray, the Rim of the World Rally was probably the best mountain rally I ever went to, even surpassing the Olympus Rally. Grand Vistas and challenging roads were but a part of the event. I still remember the several inches of snow that fell during one year of the rally (Late May 1977?), seeing JB?s Porsche in the ditch, and the quiet (although inappropriate) satisfaction, of knowing that I had moved up a spot. Running along the ridgelines of those mountains and dipping down into the valleys and climbing those mountains was a thrill never to be forgotten. The ROW, if using the same roads, has got to be great!!

Getting back to Satch, he used to write about his Lotus. I have to tell you that the car was a bright lemon yellow garage queen. Satch always had several cars around most probably because something was always broken down or being worked on. The Lotus was reliable, but it was British and we all know what that means. I remember the car because it was only slightly less outlandish that his previous car a tan colored Citroen SM. The SM was probably the only one ever in Alaska and the Lotus was probably only one, of possibly five, in the whole state. He, after all, he had a penchant for non-traditional cars.

It is certainly nice to hear from Satch?s friend in Portland that he is keeping active. It is hard to believe that the ?Old Crowd? is in fact getting old. A great many of us are close to or getting past 60.

As I think back of about my years in rallying, I think of Satch as one of two people that got me started in rallying, but that is a topic for a whole new thread.

Dan Goodwin

·
Lake Superior Region
106 Posts
Satch! So glad to hear you're alive and well! I remember Autoweek as a newsprint Holy Grail passed around the dealership back in the late 70's early 80's. Those of us in the VW,Porsche,Audi,Volvo,British parts department kept an eye on Satch's column and oft repeated favorite phrases like the "pocket-rocket" 930 Turbo, hope you make it to LSPR in Oct!
wishing I could find those articles to share with motorgeek son

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: Satch and Autoweek

Call me crazy (call me anything except late for supper :p ) but I have every Autoweek since 1970 or 1971. I want my Grandkids to experience some of them someday, hopefully.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.