Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick summary of random info and observations from a stage worker's perspective on Sandhills:
- As always, the stages present a good challenge to machinery prep, a challenge to the fast drivers to keep up speed in variable sand depth and ruts, and relatively safe stages for new drivers to get their first rally experience (Man, can that sand slow you down in a hurry..)
- Stage 2 was indeed delayed when some spectators suddenly darted out of the designated areas and down the stage; it took a 15 minute delay at the start to convince them that indeed the stage would be cancelled if they did not return.
- The orginal car '0' broke down on stage 4. (It had an ECU short that was tracked down well after the registar's car was pressed into car '0' duties, running at reduced speed!)
- As I heard it, Stage 4 also was run as a transit for safety after some people gathering pine straw mulch were found in the roads adjacent to the forest road. The Forest personnel were very prompt in responding and did some extra checks for us without even being asked; they always are great to work with there.
- Medical and ham teams were prompt and on time in every case. The hams in particular really seem to get into this event, and have evloved a good knowledge of what to do over several years' participation.

The rest of the stages went pretty well, and the event finished pretty close to schedule if not on schedule. (I was too busy pulling one of our stage team's cars out of the sand at the end to keep track of time!)

Anders Green and Amy Feistel ran the event for their first full rally, and did an impressive job of preparing and organizing, and placing the event functions in new locations that gave more exposure. (Tech, for instance, was at the Cheraw SC Ford dealer, and the facility was nice to work in.) Please extend your positive comments to Anders and Amy for their hard work; it paid off. And they created some new documents for the event that add a lot, like the spectator booklet and rally guide.

We had some first time volunteers on our stage team, and they were thoroughly impressed with, and enthused about, rallying. One was a circle track racer from Florence, SC, and he said he would be telling all his oval track friends how impressive it was. Another couple drive all the way from Warsaw IN to work while their son co-drove in his first event; they will be back!

Well, not much of a report I guess, but I was pleased to be there and see that it came off well, as an event that is fun to run.....as it seems to be every year.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Glad to hear the event came off well. It was the first long event I completed with my present co-driver and wife a few years back. :)
Richard

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would also like to congratulate Anders and company for putting together a great event. I once again had a blast working the event and I look forward to coming back again next year (hopefully as a competitor after 5 years as a worker/crew member).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Guys,

Sand Hills was our first rally on the East coast and we had a great time. Unfortunately we broke a rear trailing arm at 4 miles on stage 1, but that's racing.

We were able to repair the part due to the tremendous help from the Kennedy family racing team and Anders allowed us to run the last few stages as pracitce.

We very much appreciated being able to come back and run for practice as at least we got a little seat time, and was great to see the roads for next year.

I have been fortunate to run some really great events and this one is one that I will definitely be back to. Registration was fantastic, short line, fast response, as good as it gets. Tech was staffed by knowlegable, thorough guys who got us in and out quickly and efficiently and all of the stage people, including the sweep who helped us, did a great job.

Thanks
Brad M

Thanks in particular to the Kennedys, Anders, Amy and all the volunteers. THANK YOU!! We will be back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts