Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dude, I am not sure what your issue is with this little local event, but let me break down a little theoretical situation. Let’s suppose Seamus burke was the only person competing in the rally. What time do you suppose he would have completed the event even having no delays?

Start of rally: 9:01AM
Seamus Burke's combined stage times: 57min
Combined Transit times: 3hr 6min
Combined service times including reseeds: 2hr 10min
3 min between check in and stage start: 24min
Ideal end time w/ only the fastest car racing: 3:37pm

As you can see, even with only Seamus Burke running the rally by himself, the rally wouldn't be over until close to 4pm. More competitors are not what add a lot of time. The transits and services are what really eat up the clock. So please stop trying to sully the name of a fun little event as it appears that you have little knowledge of the workings of such and no basis for an argument. I would once again like to congratulate the organizers of the rally, and this coming from someone that actually went to the event.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>Come on lads sand hills is only a very small Rally and it
>takes a full day to Run 21 cars and it cant be run on time
>there's something wrong If ye ever get a WRC what will ye do,
>Drivers and spectators get very annoyed when rally's dont run
>on time and it don't look GOOD
>Theres too much time wasted on spectator control they are not
>fool's but ye treat them like fools and they rebel.
>GO to europe and see how rally's are run and on time with up
>to 150 cars and over.

What is your problem?

This is a small club man event, not attempting to claim to being even a national level event.

The organizer posted a detailed account of the delays (a very nice and respectable touch). Most of which were caused by people that should have known better!

Organize an event, then gripe. Anders and Ms Fiestel do not deserve this type of public treatement.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As a Co-organizer I would say get more detail before you criticize an event. Next you are not in Europe and rally in the states is totally differant. You are asking a group of 4 key people if that to run like an event that has 150 entires , do you also expect local Rally-X to run to the same standards??? Those bigger rallies in Europe have a much larger core of volunteers to draw from.
Oh and Finally not all of them but many spectators are fools , I've had to threaten to expell a team whose family was looking to cross a hot stage with a stroller!!! Gee and isn't foolish spectators part of the reason we now pay higher insurance rates???? For small events spectators are really more hassle then they are worth. Delays happen.......how do you plan for things like an armed local who says " I'm driving where ever I please"..........this happened out west. I think you are way off base with this.

Tom

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think you need to take your medication and come on down here to the South for Tennessee, or perhaps Sandhills next year. I do apologize to you for car zero breaking down, which was entirely my responsibility. I hope it did not send your blood pressure off the charts. My freshly rebuilt ecm failed me, but I could have mounted it better.
I do not know where you run, but we do take safety seriously and do everything we can to manage risk. If you come down to run, you can rest assured that you will have as safe a rally as possible.
You should be prepared when you arrive for plenty of genteel southern hospitality, an excellent organization which I challenge you to rival, a very professional group of Ham Radio operators, some seasoned stage captains, good friendly competition, and Forest Service officials that expertly practice their craft without pulling out a gun. It is simply a thoroughly enjoyable weekend with great folks. I feel terrible for letting them down this weekend, but they recovered witout much delay (thanks Mr. Havas!), and I am quite proud of their first effort at orgaization.
Now, friend, go fix yourself a Mint Julip or Bloody Mary and rent a copy of Dukes of Hazzard and Deliverance ( to show you why we don't let the uninitiated into the woods unaccompanied), and relax. Breathe slowly, close your eyes, and imagine the satisfaction of having put on a great event as an organizer with all who attended going home grinning, and how hillariously entertaining this "nut" on the internet is.
Your fool, Chuck McCrary

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>I do apologize to you for car zero breaking down, which
>was entirely my responsibility. My freshly rebuilt ecm failed
>me, but I could have mounted it better.
>Chuck McCrary

That's not THIS car zero again?!?

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/CT2002/0-car-02.jpg

If it broke down on you then it was just balancing out the stuck-at-full-throttle gig it put me through at CT '02! Kinda gave the old term about a scalded dog a whole new meaning for me ... ;-)

Halley ...
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrealautosport
Then, BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think it's pretty sad when someone feels the need to come on line and complain about everything. Like anyone here wants to hear your constant whining.

I searched for 'rally NUT' posts and found him [email protected] about the Special Stage server speed, then [email protected] about how EUROPE rallys are so much better, then [email protected] about the Ramada Rally results, then [email protected] about the Sand Hills delays.

But he supports more spectators at Rallys. (He needs to re-read the explanations for the delays for Sand Hills - the longest delays were due to his beloved spectators).

Maybe I'm the jinx, as there have been very few Rally's that I've attended that ended exactly on the minute that was posted in the itinerary weeks or months before the event.

Do you also cry this much when there are delays in NASCAR? Do you think that the Talladega or Daytona race should always end on the exact minute they did the year before? (Surely that must be so, as there are usually the same number of cars running each year and they start at the same time, running the same number of laps on a track that is exactly the same size as the year before, then therefore they MUST finish at exactly the same time).

What solution are you offering to solve this grevious problem (besides just the complaints)? Maybe you can come down and help work the event next year, an event can always use more volunteers (and less whiners). From what you say, sounds like you'd make the most excellent of Spectator Area Marshalls, I'm sure you could get the job easily too as rarely does anyone else want that headache.

Or, why don't you try organizing an event of your own. Then you can do it EUROPE style and show everyone here how it's done. That would lend some credance to your whining and complaining.

Is there some reason in particular why you think a Rally needs to end at some set prescribed time? Did you have to stay up past your bedtime to get the scores? Did the Rally running a bit long inconvience you in some other way? You say that drivers and spectators get annoyed, but I don't hear any of them complaining, just you. Exactly which of those two groups were you in again?

Do you go to football games and add up the number of minutes in each quarter, add the time alloted for half-time, then the time for each teams timeouts, then complain if the game doesn't end exactly by your calculations? (If you were to, you'd get laughed at by the football fans just like you're now being laughed at by this crowd)

I don't understand why you feel the need to come on here and put down a fine event.

It was cold and it rained a bit too at Sand Hills, maybe you'd like to complain about it not being warm and sunny for all Rallys? I'm sure the Organizers have as much control over that as they do over people deliberately sneaking into off-limits areas and over cars breaking down.

How about trying to take a positive outlook on life for a change? I 'went' to Sand Hills, I 'worked' at Sand Hills, I 'enjoyed' myself at Sand Hills. Cold, rain, some delays, whooeeee let's do it again next weekend.

I didn't mind if it took a little bit longer to ensure that 'everyone' was safe.

Geez, ....rally NUT....sounds half right.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Mike,
They requested a car with more safety gear, so I freshened up a 90 eagle talon that found it's way east from Rui Brazil's brother's junkyard or something. Been in the family for a while. Ran C.T. in 2000. Broke on third stage. Rebuilt engine, fresh trans, rebuilt starter, alternator, fresh hoses, belts ect. even new shifter cables. This time made it to stage 4. Plan to test in Birmingham before C.T. 06 and drive on the street a bit. We will get it reliable very soon. Thanks for pulling the liner out of the throttle cable on the vr-4 so that it didn't do it to me in Atlanta traffic. Pretty amazing cars that are strong enough to run lead on Saturday and go to work on Monday. Reminds me of Taki Takaori (sp) driving to events and home after top 5 or 10 finnish. Soon we will have dedicated, reliable "evo zero" to try to stay ahead of Burke and Lawless.
Regards, Chuck

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>OK Ye win I wont bother to voice My opinion anymore...But if
>thats the way ye want do things fine but the will Go no
>where...The truth often offends....BYE

Grammer isn't too good either :p

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Grammer isn't too good either :p

Don, for six years I have been trying to teach you how to spell grammAr correctly.

Sheesh... :)

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
>>Grammer isn't too good either :p
>
>Don, for six years I have been trying to teach you how to
>spell grammAr correctly.
>
>Sheesh... :)
>
>
With a capital A? I've been notified and beaten with a wet noodle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts