Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know whats going on in sand hills rally the Results are very poor it's 5 pm they should be on the last stage now? Thers only 21 cars running ther shoul be no delays

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
The press release for the event states that "the Sandblast entry list reads like a whose who of the US rally world". However, when I go to the results page, the only who that I can see who would qualify for such a list is Burke. Truth in advertizing?

Actually, there is an road rally taking place today in Canada, the Ontario Winter Rally, with a lot more impressive who's such as ACP, Choiniere, Buffum, etc.

Doug Woods

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Doug, I thought the exact same when I read it too. I'd call it "hype". I only saw 3 names that I would recognize from other events. Glad someone else noticed too.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>The press release for the event states that "the Sandblast
>entry list reads like a whose who of the US rally world".
>However, when I go to the results page, the only who that I
>can see who would qualify for such a list is Burke. Truth in
>advertizing?

Hey Douggie, you took your grumpie pills today didn't ya?

Yeah in an ideal world everyone would tell the truth, gasoline would be 30 cents a gallon, and the U.S. wouldn't be filled to the brim with 300 million people. Count yourself and your fellow Cannucks lucky you have lots of good rally roads.

Me? I'm happy people here have NASA and RA after SCCA bent them over, did them, and then abandoned them.

>Actually, there is an road rally taking place today in Canada,
>the Ontario Winter Rally, with a lot more impressive who's
>such as ACP, Choiniere, Buffum, etc.

Hmmm... a lawyer and two has beens :)

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Anyone know whats going on in sand hills rally the Results
>are very poor it's 5 pm they should be on the last stage now?
>Thers only 21 cars running ther shoul be no delays

Got a phone call from the first spectator area who said first stages were delayed because former competitor who should know better and entourage had sneaked somewhere they shouldn't be to spectate and caused a delay.
Also, course opening car had mechanical issues on stage 4.

Results are there for me.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>The press release for the event states that "the Sandblast
>entry list reads like a whose who of the US rally world".
>However, when I go to the results page, the only who that I
>can see who would qualify for such a list is Burke. Truth in
>advertizing?
>Doug Woods

"A fair question and one that in recent weeks 'as been much on my mind. It's my considered opinion that they're nestin'." With apologies to the Monty Python troupe, shouldn't any sentence containing the term "whose who" be followed by a question mark?

Halley ...
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrealautosport
Then, BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Hey Douggie, you took your grumpie pills today didn't ya?

Jens:

No.

Just making an observation.

I figure that if you let stuff like that pass by without comment, it does the entire rally communitee a dis-service.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
96 Posts
>Wrongo, Squirt.
>
>I was and remain a wannabe.
>
>

I wouldn't suggest calling me that again. And isn't it more can't be or don'twanna be? yet you're still here. Why is that?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>..it does the entire rally communitee a dis-service.

All kidding aside: It strikes me as relatively harmless. Rallyists know it is advertising hype, and non-rallyists probably couldn't care less. The fudge factor pales by comparison with recent years press releases counting national and division entry counts, then after the rallies the press releases only mentioning the national entries.

If honesty is going to be a hallmark of rally, then all rally cars should have all federally mandated emission controls and no illegal modifications.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's funny on these forum's When someone ask a Quistion about something It goes completeley off track and some times end up a mud slinging contest....WHY?

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
>It's funny on these forum's When someone ask a Quistion about
>something It goes completeley off track and some times end up
>a mud slinging contest....WHY?

Because fustrated, small people have deep rooted, unmoveable jealousies based on events that don't mean squat, both real and imagined, that may have never happened years ago.

Cognitive pettiness.

Bernie

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>It's funny on these forum's When someone ask a Quistion about
>something It goes completeley off track and some times end up
>a mud slinging contest....WHY?

Well everybody seems very thin skinned "on-line" and seem to be looking for fights.
Here's something a friend posted who has often expressed his dismay at how people miss my points and get angry:

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/read.php?2,1237

The Secret Cause of Flame Wars
Posted by: Skye (67.168.115.---)
Date: February 14, 2006

[www.wired.com]

The Secret Cause of Flame Wars

By Stephen Leahy | Also by this reporter
02:00 AM Feb, 13, 2006 EST

"Don't work too hard," wrote a colleague in an e-mail today. Was she sincere or sarcastic? I think I know (sarcastic), but I'm probably wrong.

According to recent research published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, I've only a 50-50 chance of ascertaining the tone of any e-mail message. The study also shows that people think they've correctly interpreted the tone of e-mails they receive 90 percent of the time.

"That's how flame wars get started," says psychologist Nicholas Epley of the University of Chicago, who conducted the research with Justin Kruger of New York University. "People in our study were convinced they've accurately understood the tone of an e-mail message when in fact their odds are no better than chance," says Epley.

The researchers took 30 pairs of undergraduate students and gave each one a list of 20 statements about topics like campus food or the weather. Assuming either a serious or sarcastic tone, one member of each pair e-mailed the statements to his or her partner. The partners then guessed the intended tone and indicated how confident they were in their answers.

Those who sent the messages predicted that nearly 80 percent of the time their partners would correctly interpret the tone. In fact the recipients got it right just over 50 percent of the time.

"People often think the tone or emotion in their messages is obvious because they 'hear' the tone they intend in their head as they write," Epley explains.

At the same time, those reading messages unconsciously interpret them based on their current mood, stereotypes and expectations. Despite this, the research subjects thought they accurately interpreted the messages nine out of 10 times.

The reason for this is egocentrism, or the difficulty some people have detaching themselves from their own perspective, says Epley. In other words, people aren't that good at imagining how a message might be understood from another person's perspective.

"E-mail is very easy to misinterpret, which not only triggers flame wars but lots of litigation," says Nancy Flynn, executive director of the e-Policy Institute and author of guidebooks E-Mail Rules and Instant Messaging Rules. Many companies battle workplace lawsuits triggered by employee e-mail, according to Flynn.

People write absolutely, incredibly stupid things in company e-mails," said Flynn.

______
Undercover Canadian evildoer
Rally car's almost done I swear...
www.rallyrace.net"

Seems people are very self assured and can't ever be bothered to ask what a person means, even though they have ample evidence that they, and all of us, have missed the tone , or intent, hundreds of times previously.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA.
www.jvab.f4.ca

janvanvurpa(at)f4(dot) ca

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat!
Vive Le Groupe F!
Rally Anarchy Rallyist BBS
- http://www.rallyanarchy.com/

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
FYI, someone please correct me if I am wrong, I but I believe that scoring had to move from one location to another near the end of the event; this may have delayed some of the last scoring posts.

I almost fussed at this orignal post, but then realized "Hey, this guy's really interested; that's a good thing!"

Added: OBTW, the last stage started at around 6:15 PM, give or take, which was near or on schedule.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well if the last stage started at 6.15 pm that means they were over an hour behind sceduale and with only 21 cars it should be over at 2 pm what was the big delay about? BS Again

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Rally Nut said
>Well if the last stage started at 6.15 pm that means they
>were over an hour behind sceduale and with only 21 cars it
>should be over at 2 pm

So by this logic (which begins with making up a new number of cars that were competiting, and continues with not consulting any stage schedule) I think that if 15 cars ran STPR, it would finish by 6pm, and if Rally Sweden had 25 cars, it would finish at noon. x( :9 I really don't follow where you're going.

Rally Nut said
>what was the big delay about?

The cause of the multiple delays is what they almost always are: waiting for a stage to be safe before starting.

More specifically:

Start: on time
Stage 1: added 7 minutes of late. Cause: medical not yet in place.
Stage 2: added 9 minutes of late. Cause: there were members of the competitors' crew who left a marshalled spectator area. Stage could not be run until they were retrieved.
Stage 3: zero additional minutes of late.
Stage 4: first, ornery hikers, so we brought the forest service in. although this took approximately 1.25 hours to solve, this solving began 1.3 hours before the stage was due to start. Two minutes before an on time start was about to happen, more people were reported in the forest. Stage was cancelled and transited. The zero car then had trouble, and a replacement was procured. This combination was the main delay.
Stage 5: started, ultimately, with an additonal 68 minutes of late because of the problems with 4.
Stage 6: gained 14 minutes of late due to (cause undocumented) and then gained an additional 2 minutes of late due to the competitors "requesting time to start their engines/not being ready to start". (This was unknown to stage control at the time and was just what happened at the start.)
Stage 7: gained 1 minute of late due to clock sync issue
Stage 8: zero additional minutes of late

Rally Nut said
>BS Again

Again, I don't even know what you're trying to say. Here is some more relevant information that probably more accurately shows the flavor of the event:

Start was at 9:01, on time. The pizza showed up at the awards ceremony at 6:50, 10 minutes early. The awards ceremony was open for eating and there were volunteers and competitors there at 7pm, which has been the published time for four months. Even with a total rally delay of about 1:24, provisional results were posted at 7:30, only 15 minutes late, and made official at 30 minutes afterward. All throughout the day, spectators were kept informed of whatever the total delay was, which they could coordinate with their printed schedules. Everyone got food, everyone was happy, no one got left behind. All the awards were given out at 8:30, and the whole rally finished up half an hour EARLY. If you had been at the awards, what you would have seen was a lot of happy faces and smiles, and what you would have heard was lots of clapping. :7 :D :)

All in all, good times. :)

Cheers,
Anders

1 - 20 of 31 Posts