Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to 100AW for the first time and looking for some suggestions for a place to stay. I looked on the website (100AW) for locations and found some. most are mom/pop type places and sometimes these are fine and sometimes there not! Anyone have any experience with these or have suggestions? Doesn't need to be fancy, but I am bringing the wife.
Bryan

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I've stayed at the Crossroads Inn, and the Walnut Motel. Both on a slightly lower budget side. My experience with both was that the Walnut's rooms were slightly nicer, the people were 200 times friendlier, and they have triple bed rooms. If you wife is at all picky, go with the Holiday Inn.

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
From the inside:

Mom and Pops are OK so long as you're not expecting to host your daughter's engagement party there. Inexpensive, showers, beds, heat. The basics. They will run about half the cost of the HI. But the HI as is top drawer...totally dedicated to this weekend. Also cabins work (ask Richard and Jaunita). Suggest if you're not interested in Mom and Pops, Cuba on I-44 where there are some good chain venues (on 100aw.org). Close to Steelville where Friday start is.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>I've stayed at the Crossroads Inn, and the Walnut Motel.
>Both on a slightly lower budget side. My experience with both
>was that the Walnut's rooms were slightly nicer, the people
>were 200 times friendlier, and they have triple bed rooms. If
>you wife is at all picky, go with the Holiday Inn.

I think I stayed at the Crossroads Inn in 2003. It was ok, no complaints. Seems centrally located. Shady biker/Nascar bar not too far away.

Pete

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Our experience with the Crossroad Inn last year was not a good one. I won't go into any detail on the main complaint with the room, but the people working were not very excited or friendly. Versus the Walnut Inn, where the previous year we were in the parking lot fixing the car with multiple lights, cordless impact, dremels, etc until 4:30 am and at 7 am when I went in to the office for some coffee, the owner says, "Man, you guys had a long night." I apologized and he was like, "Oh no, it's fine. We're happy to accomodate you...." We talked through my first cup of coffee about the rally. Genuinely happy to have us was my opinion.
Side note: I may be confusing the two. Crossroads is on the same side of Hwy 32 or whatever that highway is that the tech place and Holiday Inn are on, as the Holiday Inn and tech dealer, whereas the Walnut is on the opposite side. Walnut is nearest the Wal Mart whereas Crossroads is caddy-corner to the Sinclair. Just preparing you, because if you ask locals directions, that's what you'll get. "Oh, just go down the road past Bob's place and you'll see a tree about half a block down and you'll turn not at that tree, but two further down." I love that event and that town. Hopefully I'll be there again this year in some capacity.

·
Registered
285 Posts
>Side note: I may be confusing the two. Crossroads is on the
>same side of Hwy 32 or whatever that highway is that the tech
>place and Holiday Inn are on, as the Holiday Inn and tech
>dealer, whereas the Walnut is on the opposite side. Walnut is
>nearest the Wal Mart whereas Crossroads is caddy-corner to the
>Sinclair. Just preparing you, because if you ask locals
>directions, that's what you'll get. "Oh, just go down the
>road past Bob's place and you'll see a tree about half a block
>down and you'll turn not at that tree, but two further down."
>I love that event and that town. Hopefully I'll be there
>again this year in some capacity.

I think you have it backwards. We stayed at the crossroads the past 2 years. Very basic but otherwise ok. The Crossroads is directly across the street from the Sinclair.

Think I am going to try the Ranch this year.

Bill Westrick
Just another old Navie from Michigan

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Okay. I probably do have it backwards. The hotel I preferred out of the two was the one that we stayed at in 2004. It was the same one you and Steve were at, as were Dennis and Alan. Dennis let us borrow his lights for our all night repair session in the parking lot. I can never remember the name. Last year we ended up in the wrong one because I had it backwards then too. It's location is nice though. Right smack in the center of town.

·
Registered
285 Posts
>OK I'm confused...Which one was better Walnut or crossroads?

Personally, I would not be able to say which one is "better". I have had 2 years at the Crossroads with no real issues.

Bill Westrick
Just another old Navie from Michigan

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Mary Utecht attempted to get a reservation at the Crossroads and was told they were closing in November.....so it's likely not available anyway. We're checking those rumors.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I preferred the Crossroads. Sorry, I had the two confused initially. It was the same hotel Bill was at in 2004 that I liked better.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Okay. I probably do have it backwards. The hotel I
>preferred out of the two was the one that we stayed at in
>2004. It was the same one you and Steve were at, as were
>Dennis and Alan. Dennis let us borrow his lights for our all
>night repair session in the parking lot. I can never remember
>the name. Last year we ended up in the wrong one because I
>had it backwards then too. It's location is nice though.
>Right smack in the center of town.

We stayed in the Crossroads that year Grant. That was a fun weekend. Anyways the owners were super nice, the rooms were rustic and basic, but clean and comfortable. No one complained about us staying up all night working on the cars.

I've also stayed at the Ranch, which is just down the road. Again, very nice people, rustic but clean rooms, and lotsa flat areas to work on.

In general, I've found most everybody in the area to be very warm and receptive, which is why I love rallying there so much. It's kind of the anti-Bemidji.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
don't lift over crest > dust
302 Posts
Don't get this confused... stay away from the "roadhouse"...bar that is. Kala and I had to literally run for our lives as we asked a lead miner, yes lead as in lead paint, to cover our backs. Beware, stay close to those you know!

Cable Rhodes

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
We stuck with PBR cans the first year. For the second year we went with tall boy cans of anything for the whole year. Always stuck to drinking them in the parking lot of the hotel. Just the thought of a local bar kinda scares me. Oh, and the free beer at the awards ceremony.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts