Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got to see the last two tarmac rounds. I like to look at WRC races two times once to see the races .And then to see how the drivers "Drive the car"

Anyone see how Sainz "saws" on the steering wheel. He pulls it one way then back and forth. Real fast like???

Whats up on this . Not smooth at all ?? It works for him????

David

PS I thought the tarmac races were great. Do not under stand why thay want to cut tarmac in WRC?

·
Registered
789 Posts
Whatever works for someone...works.

Carlos is obviously not the fastest tarmac driver, but he gets the job done (although he may have just "sawed" himself our of the Brittish rally and the Driver's championship!)

Who knows what the FIA is doing to WRC????

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Sainz always drove like that, even on gravel. I don't think there is any performance based reason, it's just his style.

I tend to do it sometimes as well. It helps me "feel" around for grip.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Cosidering that the steering has likely 1.9 to 2 turns lock to lock, those are some pretty dramatic steering inputs I see all the drivers doing all the time.

Obviously they all need to read SpecialStage on Line drivers forum where is was settled and agreed that the top drivers drive with their feet not their hands.
I'm sure that would help them go even faster, and we could all be proud to have helped them out.

Couldn't possibly be that they are going faster than sheeeet on roads which actually have curves in them, could it.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
its all clear to me now!

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you watch older WRC tapes that show in car (1990 season review is old enough), you see almost every driver doing that, to a great degree. They literally hold onto the wheel and yank it back and forth while they're turning sometimes. I think it's something Sainz picked up from driving older cars that didn't track as well, and apparently it works well enough that he's been able to be competitive without changing his style.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
This is very, very interesting to me. I was wondering about Sainz's style too, but in a different respect.

He shifts his hands on the wheel - when he takes a left hand corner he lets go with the left hand, turns the wheel by raising his right a little, then regrips the wheel with his left at like 11 oclock instead of 9 oclock where it started. The only thing I could posit is that this is the only way to have your hand positioned to shift if you have a paddle (rather than a ring) shifter. But I hold on to the wheel in the same place until I have to cross over, and i think most other drivers do the same. Thoughts?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

PS I think something about car unsettling may make sense for the sawing. But I've seen experienced track racers do it too and I've never known why. Why?

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
I was examining Sainz's driving a bit too...and it seems like (on tarmac anyways) he turns in a slight bit too early, then saws a bit to get the right line. This seems to be his way of breaking the car loose and setting the car on a "rail". Not sure if this is correct or not...just my interpretation. It would be great to hear from the man himself why he does this. As posted above, it is probably a throwback to the older cars when you had to man-handle the cars around to prevent them from understeering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts