Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
Been a while since I've been here...
I just read Dennis' LSPR experience and ideas about req. safety items.

Here's what happened to me.
During a recent build project, I wanted to try out my LifeHammer.
(this is NOT a company slam JUST MY EXPERIENCE!!)
1st, I tried to cut the factory seat belt. sufficient tension on belt, cutting at an angle. nothing. didn't want to cut through.

OK, let's break a window!! breaking was easy, now calmly clearing the glass out of the opening, the Hammer handle breaks in half.

Contact the company, ask what kind of steel they use for the blade...
"high grade european steel" is NOT a metalurgical property.

This was done in the garage, not upside-down in the dark.
These tools have NO room for fiddling or failure.

They offered to replace the hammer or send me their new ResQme.
I chose to decline and look for other EMS/Fire grade tools.
But I felt they should know what happened.

I repeat: this is not an attack on their Company.
Just a reminder to TEST ALL your equipment!!

I'm glad Dennis is OK, and I know nothing is perfect all the time.
But I hope no-one tries to skimp in this area!!
BE SMART! BE SAFE!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
A spring-loaded center punch will take out a side window or rear window easily, and some have pocket clips like a ballpoint pen. A good belt cutter can be hard to find...and a cheap one is worth just about nothing.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Benchmade Hook was what I had in mind as a replacement.
I just didn't want to come of as "salesman" :)

Rest assured tho' - it WILL get tested before it goes in any vehicle!

Oh yeah, everyone has their "Penny Cutters" in the 1st aid kit, right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RE: Tool kit

>I can understand why a fireman needs the rest of the stuff
>on the designated web site, but why a valve stem remover?
>Or is it to prevent tires from exploding in a fire?

From what I learned in EMT Cert., Deflating the tires helps stabilize the car.
Chocks(sp?) can be used in conjuction as well.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Not to be a goober but why not think about something like a Gerber multi tool as well.

Family friend in the midwest hit some ice last winter and went off a bridge. Cut the seat belts like butter, and used the plier end to shatter the windshield.

Just a thought as most have various things good for busting windshields and quality ones have very sharp knives of saws. Can be pretty handy to have in general too....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We have a Gerber in the car as well...
Just not the most ideal in an emergent situation
(too many foldy, locky things to deal with)

BUT I wouldn't be without one!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>A spring-loaded center punch will take out a side window or
>rear window easily...

A center punch is too small thus easily lost in an emergency. It is also useless for anything else other than drilling holes.

I like a crowbar. It is large, heavy, can be used to smash glass, and pry other things.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Seems to me the best solution might be that big ass mag light I have fastened to the tunnel of the car. Kinda forgot about that last weekend in the confusion, but a couple whacks from that bad boy would have cleared out the window. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

I'm not worried about belts anymore. The camlocks seem to pop in any situation, regardless of load. Can't say that about latch and link though.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Seems to me the best solution might be that big ass mag
>light I have fastened to the tunnel of the car. Kinda
>forgot about that last weekend in the confusion, but a
>couple whacks from that bad boy would have cleared out the
>window. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20.

Maybe yes... maybe no.

On a few occassions I have tried to break side and rear glass windows when leaving it at my local dump (they require the glass be broken). In each case I brought a medium hammer with me. Most broke easily, but others took fairly hard hits before breaking.

One time I was working on one of my subarus. The driver's window was rolled down about half way. From the outside I reached into the car to remove a couple of tools. I was being moderately careful. A small hammer just barely tapped the top edge of the glass as I pulled the hammer from the car. The window shattered into a million pieces; like it exploded.

There is something to be said for sharp/pointy things that are heavy. A crowbar has pointy corners, is heavy, can be used as a pry tool, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I keep the Rescue7 in my jump bag. it's been "tested" frequently enought that i have Complete faith in the tool.

I have had the "lifehammer" style "tools" literally shatter in my hands when attempting to break a window. (the one you buy at Target and Shucks for $9.99)

of course, do we all need another $80 piece of equipment? a spring loaded punch form Gall's Inc. will do the same job if you're just wanting to oenetrate the window.

Slainte!

Ron

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Subarally...

and for the Gerber in the car too...;)

Dennis and Alan,
Glad you guys fared as well as you did.:)

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Thanks for the heads up Subarally...
>
>and for the Gerber in the car too...;)
>
>Dennis and Alan,
>Glad you guys fared as well as you did.:)

I just want to emphasize one more thing on this. I think we had plenty of things inside the car to break open the windows - a fire bottle, a big Maglight, etc.

However, we were stupid after the car stopped moving. Because we had both unlatched our harnesses, it was big mess inside the car. I could not access any of these obvious things for breaking the window because either the lower part of my body or Dennis was in the way and, for similar reasons, I could not hit on the window with the things that I had access to with any force.

Having the right tools in the car is a good idea, but if you don't do the right things when you have to use them, then you might as well not have them.

alan

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree 100% !

Just as going fast takes practice, so does knowing what to do after the sudden stop...

In fact - my little project has to do directly with this idea.

I'll let you know how it goes(rolls)...;-)

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
I was looking over the cars at MFR a few years back and got to talking with a guy who had polycarbonate (aka Lexan) side windows riveted in place. I asked him how he was going to get out if he rolled; "oh we'll just kick them out" he said. I told him that I didn't think it would be as easy as he thought. That stuff is tough and it is doubtful that one would have the kind of leverage required for that while in a compromised position.
Too many people build their cars without thought for how to deal with a bad situation.
Jim Blumenfeld

PS - A few years back Patrick Bedard did a coulumn in Car And Driver magazine about those so called "life hammers". He went to a junque yard and asked the guy there if he could test them out on some wrecks. The guy said sure, as long as he could help (play) too. Well they had a heck of a time breaking glass. Look up the article.
JB (aka the other, other JB)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts