Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Shifting and drifting
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend for 20 years, Gregg Killmer of Saginaw, MI, was killed in a car accident January 28th. He was 41 and leaves a Wife and two small girls.

I am very sad. Gregg befriended me when I moved to Michigan to work with Guy Light in his shop in Midland. At first I thought he was just a snobby rich kid because he drove a red Audi Quattro-that was 1985. Was I ever wrong. He was at Light's shop because he bought it cheap and it needed so much work that it stayed there and we began a great friendship. Gregg was as down to earth (and not wealthy BTW) helpful and funny as anyone. He just loved rallying, and rally cars. He always drove something special, Audi's, VW, WRX, whatever, it was rally inspired.

In the old days, Gregg had eventually purchased Guy's Omega and ran one rally, Dire Straits I believe in the UP. He finished dead last but finished and it was a great achievement. My first real memory of my friend was when he offered to help me peel the HUGE CMC motorsports stickers off of my Service truck, we listened to Frank Zappa, new the words (!)and laughed the night away with sore fingers. We were trying to out-comedy each other and it was great. This was a guy I could have fun with! Throughout the years, as Gregg became more family oriented and I moved on to get an education-south to Detroit, we would communicate more by phone, chat about rallying, music and cars, share laughs, and look forward to the next "adventure". It took me time to realize that Gregg was a devoted family man, and dedicated his outside life to coaching and teaching hockey, and more importantly, teaching kids the discipline and character that you need to have in life's toolbox.

Gregg will have services on Thursday, 11:00 at Zion Lutheran church in Saginaw, MI. I have no other details at this time. I will also not be able to post or read here as I am immediately leaving on a trip.

To you my friend, Gregg Killmer, I will miss you, don't laugh too hard at us down here, we are doing the best we can, and pedalling the fastest we can.

:(

·
Registered
93 Posts
This really sucks, Myself and my friend passed the scean on our way up to the rally, I75 and Sachabaw(sp?), our first thought was of a guy we know with a silver R32 who works in that area. We guessed the person was heading to the rally, I just hope it was instant and he didn't suffer, my thoughts are with his family and friends. Then on Sunday I find someone I know died snowmobiling.

Adrian Thompson

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Sincerest condolences to you and the family he left behind. Way too young to leave us.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Brought a few tears to my eyes... and I didn't even know him. I've played competitive sports for years and know the difference a great coach makes - sounds like he was one of those special ones.

My condolences to you and his family. :(

Andris Kanins

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too was very close with Gregg. I knew him from rallying but we really became good friends when he ordered a custom bicycle frame from me. I put a lot of love into building that frame and Gregg was an absolute joy to work for. I always enjoyed talking with him at length about all subjects and thought he was one of the kindest, most patient, generous, and happy guys around. GK was just a good example.

A good local story about Gregg:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/013105_NW_da_coach.html

Gregg leaves a wife and two daughters...a fund has been set up for their benefit:

Michigan Education Savings Program
C/O: Vonnie Killmer
P.O. Box 1427
Saginaw, MI, 48605

I miss you Gregg,
MC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts