Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While working on my car this off season, one of my first priorities was belt recertification.

I have SABELTs and so contacted them through their website via email.

I got a response from Dan Lucas at Hoerr Racing Products apparently the US rep for SABELT. After a few emails back and forth - where Dan was apparently connecting with his Italian counterpart at SABELT regarding re-certing belts he is now telling me "they do not actually do any of the recertification's on their harnesseses. I am sorry to say if they are out dated please get me the part # for the harness you want and then I can get with my Sabelt Rep and then we can get a % off the harness for you."

Wow, that's rather frustrating and now costly!

Just thought I would pass this along to the rest of you.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I was under the impression that the FIA belts were never recertifiable. We'll be selling Sparco, Sabelt and small selection of other brands soon through the shop. I have to call the UK in the next few days to discuss our initial order and we'll inquire about recertifying belts and see what I can find out for you.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I found this at a completely non-official site...

SFI Certification - Harness systems may be certified to SFI spec 16.1, and shall bear the appropriate label(s). This certification shall expire on December 31st of the 2nd year, after the year of manufacture. The harness system may be sent to the manufacturer for re-webbing and recertification.

FIA Certification -Harness systems may be homologated by the FIA to specification 8853/98, and shall bear the appropriate label(s). It is recommended that the harness system be replaced every three (3) years, but the mandatory replacement date is the 5th year after production. The expiration date, instead of the date of manufacture, is printed on the FIA label(s).

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
I found this at a completely non-official site...

FIA Certification -Harness systems may be homologated by the FIA to specification 8853/98, and shall bear the appropriate label(s). It is recommended that the harness system be replaced every three (3) years, but the mandatory replacement date is the 5th year after production. The expiration date, instead of the date of manufacture, is printed on the FIA label(s).
From 8853/98:
5.1.2 Validity
The validity of a harness expires five years after the year of manufacture. For example, a harness manufactured on 1.1.97 will be valid until 31.12.2002; likewise, a harness manufactured on 31.12.97 will be valid until 31.12.2002.
I am not sure where it is recommended that they be replaced every three years, but it isn't 8853/98.

When one says "recertifying belts", does one mean re-webbing and recertification or recertification after some inspection/analysis of the belts? Could the latter even be done in a manner that doesn't destroy the belt and/or is less expensive than just providing new, replacement harnesses (aside from the guy who was just sewing new labels onto old, "recertified" belts)?

alan

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Re-certifying has to be done by the original manufacturer of the belt. They have the 'right' to decide of it needs new webbing or hardware or is ok as is. Many belts live in a box and never see the light of day and expire. Others of course get very rough use. We did have an instance where some old belts were recerts and they shouldn't have been due to fraying. They were rejected.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Re-certifying has to be done by the original manufacturer of the belt. They have the 'right' to decide of it needs new webbing or hardware or is ok as is. Many belts live in a box and never see the light of day and expire. Others of course get very rough use. We did have an instance where some old belts were recerts and they shouldn't have been due to fraying. They were rejected.
Actually, SFI re-certification requires new webbing.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Well that explains the rejection...

So you can save some expense from the hardware, double shipping and an undetermined wait? How much can be saved?

Mike, does a SFI/FIA belt get recertified for 2 years or 5 years?

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Rewebbing sounds like voodoo for $20 to me. My guess is they're just looking at it and saying it looks fine.

Roger. Would you rappel down a cliff attached to a five year old harness that's been exposed to the same treatment your rally harnesses get? 5 years of sitting in a car, potentially in the sun being exposed to UV, heat cycled, sweat, fuel vapors, oil, etc?
Also, I know how you feel. My ultra sweet Sabelts with the ultra lightweight adjusters that were like $500-600 per set expired after a whopping one rally and three hill climbs.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Rap down a cliff on webbing - sure - wouldnt want to incur a super heavy pinpoint shock load though (ie cliff edge).

Sounds like from what they (SABELT USA) are telling me its very possible that you spend the money to ship the belts to Italy (They say FIA recert from what I understood) and even if they look fine, without apparent defects, they could very well fail them. Then you are out your belt plus the cost of shipping. To get the "discount" for a new set of belts you have to ship your existing belts to SABELT before you can get a discount on a new set.

Also - the belts they currently have are stamped 2012 - So instead of losing a whole year of cert I would wait till 2013 and confirm the date you are getting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts