Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>You gotta be kidding! How in the hell did this happen?

My best guess at how this happened is the administration was trying to save the sport last year and had precious little time to work on rules revisions. Please remember that the sport had four deaths and a departing director last year. The entire operations manual was created from thin air during the meat of the season. That in itself is explaination enough for me as to how this happened.

Mark Utecht

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>Who is the primary person responsible for the rule book
>anyway?
>
>Is there one?

For 2004, I took responsibility for the physical writing of the rulebook. By mistake, I got a Postscript copy of the 2002 rules, rather than the 2003 copy. I did not check the version, but added the 2004 rules changes to the copy I had and we ended up with the current mess.

Mea culpa. We are working on a solution with all haste.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Yeah, I thought some interesting things were missing. One of the cage requirements dissappeared.

But, I am overall lot happier with SCCA than I have been for several years (wanna guess why?), so I'll give the folks there the opportunity to correct the problem. I think those in power there now are sincere about getting these things right.

Mark B.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Yeah, I thought some interesting things were missing. One of
>the cage requirements dissappeared.

Did the idiotic requirement for gusset in both sides of the forward leg/windheild junction gussets dissappear?
maybe it and the strange size and thickness requiremnts be LEFT OUT as there make no sense as written in the 04 rules

>
>But, I am overall lot happier with SCCA than I have been for
>several years (wanna guess why?), so I'll give the folks
>there the opportunity to correct the problem. I think those
>in power there now are sincere about getting these things
>right.
>
>Mark B.
We can only hope, if there were something like membership review of rules changes, voting on rules etyc, we mioght have caught this and the theoretical errors resulting in some of the rules which should be left out.
Is this the time to do it??

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
RE: Time to help

>Now send the corrections to Sue at:
>[email protected]

Actually, probably best if you don't. We're getting an electronic copy of the 2003 rules, and re-adding the 19 pages of 2004 changes to that, and will re-publish electronically.

Updates on the website asap.

Thanks,
- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
706 Posts
Surely someone in charge of Technical issues must have had to sign off on your final version before sending it to the printers though?

For the "defining document" of SCCA rally it seems to be a bit of a hot potato.

Skye

·
Banned
183 Posts
>Surely someone in charge of Technical issues must have had
>to sign off on your final version before sending it to the
>printers though?

If that person only looked for the 2004 changes they would assume it was correct.

Mistakes happen, it's not a perfect world!
>
>Skye

Rob

·
If money were no object
272 Posts
RE: Time to help

Well....

We will have to talk about this when your review period is up, it may cost you a raise... This is your only verbal warning, next offence will be a write up...:+

Ok, seriously... Its really too bad that this was not caught during the proofing stages of the "New 2004" (now obsolete) rules.. I feel for all involved for both the time that will be spent and the heat that will be taken. I will not go as far as to say, "shit happens" as we are all adults and must take responsibility for our actions. The only positive of this will be the change in procedure to keep these things from happening again..

Steven Perret
Car# 226
Driftin4 Racing
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
>
>Did the idiotic requirement for gusset in both sides of the
>forward leg/windheild junction gussets dissappear?

Yeah, I think that was the one. Shooot, I issued a logbook already based on the wrong rules...it will be tough for the guy if he shows up at his next event and does not have it. I'll have to try to get in touch with him. Geeez.. now I AM getting peeved ....just a bit mind you.

>
>>
>>But, I am overall lot happier with SCCA than I have been for
>>several years (wanna guess why?), so I'll give the folks
>>there the opportunity to correct the problem. I think those
>>in power there now are sincere about getting these things
>>right.
>>
>>Mark B.
>We can only hope, if there were something like membership
>review of rules changes, voting on rules etyc, we mioght
>have caught this and the theoretical errors resulting in
>some of the rules which should be left out.
>Is this the time to do it??
>
No, you are right, but I think we have some folks who are genuinely remorseful over the situation, not some 'dude' (my nicest term) who doesn't seem to give a flip....ooops, there I go again.....must....stop....being ....negative...!

Mark

·
Registered
630 Posts
>For 2004, I took responsibility for the physical writing of
>the rulebook.

I wont speak for others Christian, but I for one dont care how bad someone messes up as long as I get the feeling they sincerely are trying to fix the problem, and in this case I think you are. Doodoo happens sometimes.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>For 2004, I took responsibility for the physical writing of
>>the rulebook.
>
>I wont speak for others Christian, but I for one dont care
>how bad someone messes up as long as I get the feeling they
>sincerely are trying to fix the problem, and in this case I
>think you are.

Well, I for one won't say a peep about Christain making a (oforklarbart, ootrolig, klantskallige, kors ogat, nej! blind, nybojare katostrofalt mistag)(ti hi du vet jag skojar Krille!)
little mistake, we all do.

The real question should be what will be the moves made to assure that thisnot just won't happen but can't happen.
It's _structural_ mismanagement.

Christian was doing the work, but that was something assigned to him, even if he did volunteer.
Those assigning him need to check the work, eh?

Clearly, more eyes looking over and approving and suggesting edits, _de-centralization_, would lead to a slightly more cumbersome process, but less cumbersome and costly than this.

Doodoo happens sometimes.

As they say in New Bedford, Mass, "Sheet Harpoons"

Of course communications as to the intended measures to prevent future bungles might help re-assure those wonder why they just were charged for a rule book that nobody did a final check on before ordering.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts