Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, just imagine being 3rd in class but ahead of all of the Open class cars (hey, it could happen, couldn't it?). Boy, it sure would be nice to win a class trophy and the prize money if you could, wouldn't it? Well, according to the rule book, if you are in any class other than Open with incorrect or missing class stickers on your car you'll be scored in Open. Yeah, you all know where I'm going... (just pull your class stickers off, get someone to protest you, and per the rule book, you'll find yourself in Open).

I hope this happens this year.

The other thing I noticed and have corrected a couple of friends on is that sequential gearchange mechanisms are still legal, just not in Open CLASS. They're legal in Grp2 & Grp5 (the other classes now the recently-created Open CATEGORY) but not in Open class (per the Open Class Technology Allowances).

Just a quick question on the restrictor rules; is there really enough of an advantage with a choked-down turbo motor to make a hi-hp non-turbo motor not an attractive option in Open class (something like an Audi 90Q with a 300+hp 20v non-turbo motor or even a 2.5RS that's been bored out and lightened to the limit)? I just don't understand why anyone would build an Open class car that has a peaky motor that runs out of air by the time it hits 6krpm. I'd love to see someone out there with an AWD toy with 300hp spinning up to 8krpm with no turbo lag to worry about. It would be even better if it was followed around by the smell a motor makes with Castrol R oil in it (if anyone knows where some of this stuff is available I'd like to know about it, I've got a friend with a factory-Honda flat-track motorcycle who won't run the bike on anything else so it hasn't been run in 6 years :( ).

George "trouble-maker" Thompson
1982 Volvo 242 Performance Rally Toy

·
Registered
250 Posts
>The other thing I noticed and have corrected a couple of
>friends on is that sequential gearchange mechanisms are
>still legal, just not in Open CLASS. They're legal in Grp2
>& Grp5 (the other classes now the recently-created Open
>CATEGORY) but not in Open class (per the Open Class
>Technology Allowances).

The way that I understand the rule, sequential transmissions are not leagal for any open class car competeing for Prorally national championship points. Therefore, if you are going for the open class Clubrally championship, you can run a sequential; moreover, if you want to run open class you can, you would just be in eligble for the championship points. (you'd have to settle for the prize money :+ ). As far as G2 and G5, anything goes.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Just a quick question on the restrictor rules; is there
>really enough of an advantage with a choked-down turbo motor
>to make a hi-hp non-turbo motor not an attractive option in
>Open class (something like an Audi 90Q with a 300+hp 20v
>non-turbo motor or even a 2.5RS that's been bored out and
>lightened to the limit)? I just don't understand why anyone
>would build an Open class car that has a peaky motor that
>runs out of air by the time it hits 6krpm.

If you put the right parts and ECU on a turbo motor you don't have to worry about it running out of breath at high RPM. The WRC motors have to breathe through a 34mm restrictor, so they have been optimized to produce huge amounts of torque. They don't worry about the top end, and are not peaky motors. With a 40mm restrictor, you should be able to do more (assuming you spend sufficient money ;-)).

I do agree with the loophole - just make sure the stickers 'fall off' before impound (assuming the event actually has impound, of course).

Adrian

·
Registered
630 Posts
Go to a motorcycle shop and order Silkolene 4T Castorene oil, it is the same thing as Castor R. It is available in 40W and 50W.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.