Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
I was looking at the results of the Michelin Race Of Champions in 2001 and noticed that the single fastest "stage" time of all of the drivers was not a Marcus Gronholm or Tommi Makinen but ROBBY GORDON of all people!!!:eek:

Granted he does have some off-road experience i was most suprised to see this. he was almost a full second faster than any other single time with a 1:50.76. The closest Nations Cup rally driver was Harri Rovanpera with a 1:52.46.

Maybe Roundy-Rounders can drive!:p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
665 Posts
I seem to recall reading somewhere that Robby tested the Focus WRC car and turned down the offer to drive it.

Robin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Actually, Robby would make a great rally driver! About three years ago John Menard asked him to drive one of his cars (Toyota FX-16) at a IIRA icerace in Lindstrom, MN. Other than having a high-speed off during a morning warm-up session and burying the cars front-axles, he was VERY impressive to watch. He was the fastest of the stock-class cars competing and took third overall. I have pictures stored somewhere of him in a full four-wheel drift with a huge snow-dust cloud behind him. Ford should put him in a Focus and let him have a go at Pikes Peak. ;-)

Jerry

BTW, Tony Stewart also would be pretty good. John had him in a Honda Prelude back in 1996 at Eau Claire when he was still racing for Menards in IRL.
 

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
Joined
·
1,633 Posts
It works the other way round as well (no pun intended). See the SE-DIV forum to hear about CRNC Group 2 Champion Randy Bailey's exploits at the Stateline Speedway in Rossville, GA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
" time of all of the drivers was not a Marcus Gronholm
>or Tommi Makinen but ROBBY GORDON of all people!!!:eek:
>

For all you youngsters, check out the Winner's list for the Baja 1000 over the past years. (and lotsa other SCORE events).

Robbie probably didn't start his career on asphalt...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
I wouldn't consider Robby to be a circle burner. He grew up racing Desert and other forms of off road racing. I used to work for a desert racer and remember watching Robby. He either won or the car (or truck) broke! He raced Jim Venables Ford truck for many years, Fastest truck in the desert. Robby started to drive his truck and Jim hired Rob McCacrin (sp?) to drive, What a differance, the truck then looked slow.
Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
630 Posts
Robby is a stunningly fast offroad driver, and I think his medeocre results in NASCRAP prove that the car is 99% and the pitstops and diver split the other 1%. Robby is one of a very few American drivers I think could run with McRae, Gronholm, and the WRC bunch if given the chance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
374 Posts
I am suprised he has not gotten sick of the farce that is NASSCRAP. He should have taken Ford on its offer and gone rallying. Turning is much more enjoyable than going around in circles.
Philip J. Boer
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
Actually there is a pretty sizeable difference, as sickening as that is. Let's take Jeff Gordon as an example - he took in over $10Mill in JUST prize money last year. That doesn't include salary, endorsements, etc. Who knows how many 10's of millions that is.

Becomes pretty obvious why Robby sold his soul... ;)

Now compare that to what Colin makes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
>Let's take Jeff Gordon as an example - he took
>in over $10Mill in JUST prize money last year. That doesn't
>include salary, endorsements, etc. Who knows how many 10's
>of millions that is.

He's gonna need it after the alimony payments.:* }>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,246 Posts
if i remember correctly didnt robby also roll a car and set it on fire as well at the ROC?
he has a hard enuf time finishing nascar w/out breaking how would he ever finish a rally?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
Robby has no problems finishing in the desert. Maybe he's having bad luck out there with all of the other ******* good ol boys. I don't watch cars that drive in circles, so I don't know why he's not finishing higher. For me it's either Rally or Off-road racing, unfortunatly this is not where the big money is.
Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top