Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're a couple of weeks away from seeing a "new" rotary pick-up at the Doo ***, I went looking for some history.

http://prorallypix.com/83repu.jpg

I found this in my files I think this is from the Olympus (maybe Nor'wester) in 1983. As much as I like the helmets, I have no idea who's driving. Anybody recognize this crew?

Jim Culp

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>I found this in my files I think this is from the Olympus
>(maybe Nor'wester) in 1983. As much as I like the helmets, I
>have no idea who's driving. Anybody recognize this crew?
>
>Jim Culp

While I can't say for sure, that's either State Trooper Danny Goodwin from Anchorage, Alaska accompanied (most times) by Ron Boeck of Sacramento, Ca. or a Rotary Pickup that I know nothing about (maybe the Goodwin machine after they quit racing it?). Either way, with the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood upon us it's fun to reminisce about how Danny got a Missouri corner named after the truck (FLying Mazda Corner?) since they left the road and landed in the branches of a tree without a single tire left touching the ground! While several stories have been told about the truck's extrication the next day, Ron Boeck (who was the organizer for the Forresthill Divide Rally HQd in Auburn, Ca. back in the 80s) recently told me that they hired a couple of lumbermen from the area who managed to cut stuff such that the truck was gently deposited on the ground. They didn't tow the truck to the events back then, they just drove it and drive it home to California they did since it was basically unscathed after that Missouri arboreal excitement!

Halley ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS! Let's get it on in Group F, uhhhhh, right after 100AW!
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Trogdor
915 Posts
>
>Brutal today maybe, but not so unusual in the first decade of
>US stage rallying ...

Have you got a Wayback machine I could rent?

·
3,979 Posts
>>
>>Brutal today maybe, but not so unusual in the first decade
>of
>>US stage rallying ...
>
>Have you got a Wayback machine I could rent?

:D If I did it would be so busy I'd never get a chance to rent it out! Honestly, the only roads I've run since I returned to rallying in 98 that would have been considered rough in the old days was the two '01 Prescott Forest Rally roads we ran both directions Friday night that year. Up to that point, and since then, nothing else in the twenty-five rally competition weekends I've run recently can hold a candle to Big Bend Bash, parts of Chisum Trail, POR and Tostitos Coronada in AZ - to mention a few.

Halley ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS! Let's get it on in Group F, uhhhhh, right after 100AW!

·
Registered
186 Posts
MMH - Where does Thayer Lake (?) at LSPR fall in your BFR Scale Of Stages? Just curious. I think it was the single roughest I encountered in the midwest and maybe even Maine.

·
3,979 Posts
>MMH - Where does Thayer Lake (?) at LSPR fall in your BFR
>Scale Of Stages? Just curious. I think it was the single
>roughest I encountered in the midwest and maybe even Maine.
>

The last half of Thayer would rank as memorably rough even in the old days!

Other than an exposed rock that smashed a Compomotive in 2001 I don't remember thinking that Maine was all that rough.

Halley ...

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
That "road" looks similar to the stage at the Olympia airport perimeter. I remember it winding around through the Scotch Broom...I know we ran back there a couple times in the Olympus days. Gene

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
> That "road" looks similar to the stage at the Olympia
>airport perimeter. I remember it winding around through the
>Scotch Broom...I know we ran back there a couple times in the
>Olympus days. Gene

You nailed it Gene, I think my new office is being built right on top of that stage finish. It's all been leveled and paved.

Jim

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't remember this truck, but the first National Pro Rally I ran was at Big Bear Lake, California in 1975. A rotary pickup driven by Motorcycle racer Malcolm Smith won the event overall. The truck was sponsored by Alaskan Brand Oil Coolant, an additive popular in off road racing. The next year I think a racer named Doc Sauers (who was responsible for bringing the Mears brothers to Pikes Peak) drove the truck. Didn't Danny mostly drive an RX2 as well as the factory FIAT 131 Abarth, and wasn't Rod Sorenson his usual codriver?

Anyhow, at the start of the rally, few of the rallyists knew who Malcolm Smith was. At the end, we all did. In those days there was a lot of crossover from the off road racers, as it was pretty much run what you brung. If your car had license plates and safety equipment it was legal.

The next year at Rim of the World (ran that one, too) a Canadian driver (I forget who) was in the area taking delivery of some Hakka rally tires and found out about the event. He sent his wife to rent a car and arranged for a bolt-in roll bar. The car was a Dodge Colt, which prompted the quote "Ah, what a wife! She rents a car with a contingency program!". He ran well and was in the top 10 when he ran out of gas.

Ah, the good old days. Entry fees in those days were $45...

Jim Pettengill

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I signed up to this forum, Mike sent me an e-mail asking that I ?clarify? what happened when I rolled the Alaska Brands Mazda rotary pick-up on the morning of March 6 during the 1977 100 Acre Wood Rally. I ended up well up in a tree.

Like any story this one starts out with ?There I was? as Hendrik Blok would have said ?We were going soooo fast?. The rally was run outside of Rolla, MO and is a picturesque area. Competitors included the eventual winners JB/Vickie, and Eric Jones, Hendrik Blok, and Perusse/Bellefleur, Smiskol. I was the new kid on the block and thankful that I had the opportunity to drive the truck.

The truck was as tough as nails and exceptionally solid. I thought it was relatively well balanced (possibly I did not know any better). I was thankful for the truck as in the words of Su Kemper, a rally journalist ?More than likely, the 100 Acre Wood will go down as SCCA?s most bolt busting Pro Rally. After this, Big Bend will probably look like a piece of cake?. She was right!!

Anyway, there I was, late into the night, about 90 miles south of Rolla. If I remember correctly, I was somewhere between 3rd and 5th running along a road that traversed the side of a large hill. On the left was the hill and on the right was a very steep drop off. The road was curvy and my navigator Ron Boeck and I were pleased with the way things were going.

This is the point where the driver is supposed to blame everything on the navigator., but after 28 years I will have to fess up that as we were rounding a left hand curve, I hit the apex not seeing that there was a built up ledge of dirt at least a foot high where the grader had pushed the dirt. We were going 30-40 mph and we rolled just like a car in the movies. We did a 360 came wheels down just as we went off the steep embankment. The rear bumper and frame of the truck came down on top of a tree that had been cut about twenty feet in the air, level with the road bed. The truck was left hanging, we were not going anywhere. Ron and I were able to extract ourselves but the truck could not be extracted even with a wrecker.

I saw many strange accidents in rallying and my 20 years as a State Trooper but this one stands out in my mind as just a little out of the norm.

The next morning Ron and Lee Sorenson arranged for the tree to be cut down with a chain saw. Ron?s words to me when I asked him about it were something to the effect ?you don?t want to know?.

Dan Goodwin

·
3,979 Posts
>When I signed up to this forum, Mike sent me an e-mail asking
>that I ?clarify? what happened when I rolled the Alaska Brands
>Mazda rotary pick-up on the morning of March 6 during the 1977
>100 Acre Wood Rally. I ended up well up in a tree.
>
>Dan Goodwin
>

Thanks for the details Dan! Your Alaska Brands Mazda rotary pick-up remains one of the clearer memories I have from my earliest days as a rally fan. Better, your pickup-up-a-tree predicament helped me realize the guy scheduled to codrive my maiden stage rally later in 1977 would probably be OK. We were marshalling that year and joined the caravan back toward the start after sweep passed. Art was asleep when we came on the scene of your off so when we stopped I woke him up.

"Art, you gotta see this."

Mumble-grumble-"I'm tired"-mumble-mumble

"Art! There's a truck in the trees!"

He picked his head up, glanced at the scene and laid his head back down. A second later he sat up, stared at the Mazda's predicament for a moment and then said "Wow."

So I asked him, "You still want to rally?"

He said, "Sure," before laying down to sleep some more.

Like me, he remains a rally fan to this day and crews for me from time to time when his schedule permits.

Thanks again for logging on and sharing some stories!

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)

·
don't lift over crest > dust
302 Posts
As a long time rally fan and permanent rotor head, I am happy to say that I recently did some cage work on an up and coming rally rotary pickup. I was so giddy about having it in my yard that it took me two weeks to do a few hours of work on it! I can't wait to see that truck in action. I has been in the works for quite a while now and has been through a few owners since I first saw it.

Keep your eyes on the CRS performance stock, it will be running in the not too distant future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts